Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Player Needing Help with Lategame & Remnant  (Read 2798 times)

LordBackael

• Ensign
    • View Profile
New Player Needing Help with Lategame & Remnant
« on: May 05, 2021, 10:31:46 AM »

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the game and the forums, apologies if there's already a bunch of forum threads on the following topics.

I'm having trouble with the lategame and what to do in it. I've completed the main storyline
Spoiler
and reactivated the gate network
[close]
, but I don't know where to go from here. I have a colony of 4 planets set up nicely in a single system, supporting each other and netting me a decent profit of around 200k a month, and a decent fleet with about one of every capital ship available or in storage. Full Hegemony commission, most factions like me or tolerate me. Pirates are usually pretty trivial, sometimes a little spicy if they spam rocket fleets, but otherwise just free money. The sector's pretty much entirely explored, so right now I'm just kinda haplessly cruising around the sector, doing random pirate bounties and more or less twiddling my thumbs thinking of something to do.

I thought maybe tackling remnant would be the answer, but their fleets shred me no matter what I throw at them. I equip mass anti-shield weapons & as much shields as I can manage, and they simply don't care. They're able to field 2x-3x my fleet and don't go down fast enough, and I'm getting extremely frustrated having aggressive captains hide like cowards behind squishy ships and letting them die first. I don't understand why half the time my fleet commanders are lobotomized and straight up refuse to follow orders - I've had countless scenarios of commanders straight up ignoring attack and rally orders. Like I don't necessarily want to throw mud around on a first post, but this game has some of the most inconsistent AI I've ever seen, which is dumb because I've seen opposing fleets effectively use smaller ships to block the line of fire between weakened ones, but yet my commander in a full tank ship is afraid to go in and soak damage. Looping back to the remnant point, these problems get exasperated exponentially when everyone seems paralyzed by indecision, and the enemy seems too tanky, fast, and numerous to take down, even with heavy anti-shield weapons pointed at them.

Is there something I'm missing here?
Is there a definitive endgame, or do things just kinda go on forever after the main storyline?
Is the AI supposed to be this inconsistent, or are my commanders just trained wrong?
And are the remnant supposed to seem this blatantly overpowered, or is there some magical composition that I'm missing here?

Again I'm new here and don't necessarily want to throw mud around. I spend a ton of time doing research beforehand, because getting into the game seems very... unforgiving to new players (too much information but also not enough information at the same time). Sometimes I have fun with this game and other times I end up rage-quitting due to semi-consistent poor AI choices and an endgame that seems both endless and inaccessible. So any help would be appreciated here.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: New Player Needing Help with Lategame & Remnant
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 10:53:08 AM »

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Without seeing the fleet its hard to tell, but my guess would be that you have too many capitals, not enough missiles, and maybe too much kinetic (?). Capitals have many advantages including better firepower concentration, range, and toughness, but they also tend to have less overall firepower compared to several smaller ships. If a capital is firing on one smaller ship at a time it will pop them sequentially and have a flawless victory, but if its outnumbered by smaller ships that keep flux cycling its not going to do much, so I think its really important for their to be other smaller ships around to keep the enemy occupied.

Remnants are high mobility and high shield and love to get out of danger behind allies to vent. Every time they vent they are regenerating tons of hitpoints (all enemies do this, remnants are just extremely good at it). Its just as important to make sure that once their shields are finally down they take a lot of damage as it is to get the shields down in the first place. For this job I like missiles with the ECCM hullmod. In the same vein its possible to have too much kinetic vs Remnants, especially Radiants. Unlike other Remnants they also have good armor (1500) on top of a teleporter and top tier shield. Nightmare ships... Anyhow, if you are using nearly all kinetic damage the AI is just going to lower its shield and suddenly your fleet can't do anything against the enemy supercapital. Even Brilliants have 900 armor: not as bad, but the same can apply.

LordBackael

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 11:39:54 AM »

Ah I see. I do tend to spam capitals a bit too heavily I think, personally I like leading as a Conquest or Onslaught and having another capital with me, but maybe I should instead focus on one capital and a bunch of cruisers then?

Too much kinetic, that'd make sense. I did initially have a more balanced loadout before where I had slightly more kinetic damage, but then other types to assist afterwards (maybe a 60%/40% ratio?), but I'd read before that remnant had high shields & paper hull/armour underneath, so I figured almost pure kinetic was the way to go. I'll switch back to that slightly more balanced loadout then, and start considering more cruisers in the fleet. Would a couple Griffins help out against remnant you think?

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 12:00:30 PM »

Another mechanic that might not be obvious is that the enemy knows what kind of damage you are throwing at them, so exclusive kinetics make them armor tank, while exclusive high explosive makes them shield tank. If a ship has a lot of kinetics, it is ideally assisted by a ship with a lot of HE. Usually players give AI a somewhat balanced loadout that leans towards kinetics while they pilot more HE ships with heavy rocket focus and hit and run builds. (You basically play as a flank that picks off weakened or exposed enemies)

Completely unrelated subject, Thaago, is "affectionado" an intentional misspelling of "aficionado" or an accidental one? (I just had to ask)
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 12:21:24 PM »

I should also say that the current Remnants are seriously hard, so don't feel bad about struggling vs them - I also struggled against them a lot.

Someone else called me "affectionado" a while back because I was gushing about how much I loved harpoons and I thought it was funny enough that I stole it for my sig :p.

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 12:59:40 PM »

I should also say that the current Remnants are seriously hard, so don't feel bad about struggling vs them - I also struggled against them a lot.

Someone else called me "affectionado" a while back because I was gushing about how much I loved harpoons and I thought it was funny enough that I stole it for my sig :p.

I hear that Thunder once had a harpoon. I think I missed out.

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 01:06:36 PM »

Is it still viable to build a high-tech star fortress within Remnant territory?
The high-tech mine strike ends venting quickly.
Just drop in a Paragon as alternate target to allow the station to vent.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 01:24:13 PM »

You can definitely build a star fortress in a remnant system. It will have constant shortages until you clear the system but I did it once and the fortress got up and running without issues while I was out of system. To be fair, I already had a fleet that could fight big remnant fleets, and a bunch of other colonies for big income, but I wanted the backup against the scariest remnant fleets.

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 01:33:58 PM »

I had one in 0.91. The issue was that it couldn't move so it would have to fight 3-4 radiant fleets at once instead of one at a time. Which meant that I had to fight 3-4 fleets at once. On the other hand, infinite loot storage and easy repairs. Couldn't put out patrols either, in case they killed the Nexus.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 01:38:37 PM »

I was actually trying to colonize the system, so I cleared the station out after a little while. I don't know how long it would have lasted.

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 01:43:18 PM »

They will readily kill your station, but they don't kill your colony. If you're friends with Tri-Tach, colonize, and pirates show up, it might be possible to get positive relations with the Remnants by helping them. They can kill everything without a higher burn speed. Never tried it though.

halloween20

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 07:47:41 AM »

Hi,

i hijack this thread as my problems with the Remnants are similar to the OP.
(and the later posts here derailed a little)

via an bar mission i got this Ordo Fleet to kill (it is implemented via a mod, but other sources in this forum said that this composition is fairly 'normal')
yay... alpha cores...
[close]

so i just tried it... for 30 times at least...
my fleet contains my flag XIV Legion, Paragon (lvl5 officer with fitting skills), Radiant (alpha core), 2 Astrals (one as bomber one as fighter, only one officer that jumps ships prior to a fight if needed) and some more smaller ships i found here and there (low to hightech destroyer + cruisers).
All in all i have 10 Officers at max level, one at lvl6 by chance...
as the game gives 'outstanding officers' a high wight in DP counting i only have 120 DP, this limites me extremly while the ordo fleet can nearly bring all ships (it tends to held back one Radiant).

my higest "kill count" were 3-4 lumen/glimmer. mostly because they are the first to reach my ships...

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2021, 10:03:50 AM »

This is all you need to destroy a whatevercore Ordo.

halloween20

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 10:48:37 AM »

if i am not wrong, you have some modules that seem to be from one of these, to me unknown, ships that tends to not "die easely"...

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2021, 10:54:41 AM »

Replace those Wolves with Monitors and make an accent on anti-fighter weapons and you are good to go against "even more redacted" ones.
Pages: [1] 2