Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Which version's skill system do you like more

- 109 (52.2%)
- 100 (47.8%)

Total Members Voted: 209

Voting closed: June 02, 2021, 10:12:39 PM

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Simple poll: Do you like the old skill system or new skill system more  (Read 10913 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

Old system was significantly better.
Don't get me wrong I like the new SKILLS.
I just prefer the old SYSTEM.
The new system completely kills any sort of player agency, build diversity or interesting synergy.
There's like 2-3 optimal builds now and only like 5-6 ways to build a character period.
It's lame.

Huh, I feel like the opposite comparing versions: last version there were really only about 4 ways to build a good character because it was pretty well known that like 80% of skill picks were just plain better, and the only variety was in the last little bits of mid tier skills.

In this one I've seen a lot more ways to build good characters: double combat and double tech + any of the others work including each other, there's derelict contingent being bustedly good making a whole other set of industry builds plus mix and match of the others, there's broader builds with thing like L4, T5, C4, I2, there's leadership tier 2 choice of wolfpack or coordinated, T3 can go either way easily, C5 goes either way depending on ship, T5 can go either way... There's a deceptively large number of builds that are actually good simply because we can't always take the best skills in order like the last version.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Huh, I feel like the opposite comparing versions: last version there were really only about 4 ways to build a good character because it was pretty well known that like 80% of skill picks were just plain better, and the only variety was in the last little bits of mid tier skills.

In this one I've seen a lot more ways to build good characters: double combat and double tech + any of the others work including each other, there's derelict contingent being bustedly good making a whole other set of industry builds plus mix and match of the others, there's broader builds with thing like L4, T5, C4, I2, there's leadership tier 2 choice of wolfpack or coordinated, T3 can go either way easily, C5 goes either way depending on ship, T5 can go either way... There's a deceptively large number of builds that are actually good simply because we can't always take the best skills in order like the last version.

0.91 had pretty much single true core build, with about 10-20% being free choices on top of that.

Now there are several core builds. Ones I can see as viable:
- 5/3/7/0 (fast high tech or phase depending on which C4 is taken).
- 4/4/7/0 (Paragon build, it doesn't want either C5). Being locked by L4 makes this build less desirable though.
- 8/0/7/0 (barely viable, overpimped Odyssey comes at too heavy cost to fleet performance)
- 3/3/5/4 (DC and optionally AI ship build)
- Runner-up 3/7/5/0. CM + WP could be a strong combo, if was not blocked by useless L5 and L1R. As well as general lack of points after near-mandatory T5 - it has neither C4 and no DC to compensate. Being unable to respec doesn't help either.

Double combat is not an option. No single ship benefits fully from doing that. Odyssey comes closest, getting both C5 at cost of wasted C4R is just not the best way to further improve it's performance. The better option is Tech 7 with 8/0/7/0.

And I'm generally not interested in builds with below 4 combat (or 3 with DC). I don't want to pilot a ship with stats inferior to average enemy ship (which all have level 5+ officers). So double tech builds like 0/3/10/0+2 or 0/0/10/4+1 are out, while something like 5/0/10/0 doesn't properly leverage AI ships (no CR boosts).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 03:49:24 AM by TaLaR »

kenwth81

• Commander
    • View Profile

There's a deceptively large number of builds that are actually good simply because we can't always take the best skills in order like the last version.

Or the system is relatively new and people haven't gotten their feet wet. Good is not good enough when better is expected. Maybe People have no idea which build is great and optimal yet...

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I don’t think there is any virtual difference except for additional restrictions posting annoyance.
As the other poll suggests, over 80% people think tech tree best tree, and I have yet to seen a build completely ignoring tech. That’s the “top tier” equivalent to whatever was best last patch.

Combat is also strong and many builds pick them, so that represents A tier skills. It’s also wroth mentioning that it’s probably the only tree not worth wrapping at all, except maybe for odyssey.
Combat tree is also the most boring tree since every hull benefit from only one from each tier and there is no meaningful decision making in the process.

Then the last 5 points is like how we pick from mediocre skills in the last version that only so slightly changes how a campaign plays out.

The overall skill picking process is identical to last iteration with additional restrictions to deliberately bar exceptionally good skills at tier 5.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Industry tree tier 4 skills destroy each other. Lapping can literally undo your industry playstyle. It was not a well thought out tree.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Getting closer to poll close date, interesting to see how close the poll still is.  However, dunno if less than 200 people is an adequate sample size.  But at least this will give a better understanding of people's reactions to such an abrupt change (though admittedly it was at least well-advertised that change was coming).

Edit:
Well, over 200 peeps now, at least.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 12:36:39 AM by slowpersun »
I wasn't always a Judge...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]