Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Emergency Call Director  (Read 391 times)

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
Emergency Call Director
« on: May 01, 2021, 08:29:10 PM »

Just a relatively minor one, that I've found happens due to the use of the 's' key to slow you down. Typically, when you're out exploring, you put on sustained burn, and then slow down using the 's' key to avoid storms. However, if you get an emergency distress call during this time, you need to take your finger off the 's' key to check the intel screen where the call is. When you go back into the game at normal speed, because your finger is no longer on the 's' key, there's a good chance that if you're in a storm you can get hit.

One possible solution is to have a UI element that tells you where the call is coming from, and I think an easy of of doing that is having something similar to the Neutrino detecter visual. When the emergency call comes in, you have a sudden burst of the Neutrino Detector that points briefly in the direction of where the emergency contact came from, with the intensity of the spike being proportional to how far the distress call came from. Here is a rough sketch of what I'm talking about:

This doesn't exactly solve the issue, but I think the framework for it is there, and is useful for when you're going slow through hyperspace storm regions to get a quick idea of where it is, and if you'll have enough fuel or supply to reach it.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Call Director
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 09:08:14 PM »

I like this idea! Most of the time I blow by them as I don't pause when I get them
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too