Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Guide to killing big [REDACTED] fleets  (Read 10883 times)

NaniByte

• Ensign
  • Why are you here? Where will you go?
    • View Profile
Guide to killing big [REDACTED] fleets
« on: April 29, 2021, 04:46:06 PM »

Since I started a topic asking about Remnants, I have killed a lot of Remnant fleets. I see people are still posting here and some are posting misinformation. I will write what I have personally experienced while fighting them. What follows are tips and general pitfalls if someone is interested.

Here are the important thing to know in no particular order. This refers to big Remnant fleets. Big Remnant fleet are characterized by having more "officers" than you, and by extension always 60% DP.

The problems

Remnant fleets DO NOT have weak armor. The Radiant has basically the same armor profile as an Onslaught. You will find the AI more than happy to tank kinetic damage on its armor if you bring insufficient HE. I would describe all Remnant ships as capable. I would not call any ships extremely strong, except the Radiant, but they are all at least good, most are great.

You will always be under the 10% range ECM penalty unless you won already. Forget about bringing ECM packages with you. That is always a mistake.

You will at the start always be outnumbered. Since the officer changes the AI will always have 60% DP. You MUST capture at least two points to even have a chance. Points can give 20 DP or 40 DP. You ideally want 80 DP from points. This can even it out at 240 DP vs 240 DP, on 400 battle size. This is best case scenario and is unlikely to happen and you will usually be fighting versus a 20 DP or 40 DP disadvantage. It's a massive deal when you are fighting actually good ships with great officers.

You might be wondering why does DP matter if you can nearly even it out? Well! They will have 240 DP ALWAYS! It's not conditional by control points like your DP is. You start with 160 DP! Two Radiants worth of difference.

Let's say you get lucky, and you even it out. But your ships are arriving late. If they AI messes up or if it's quintuple Tachyon Lance Radiant, henceforth refer to as a Big Boy, you will might lose ships. However, you can't maintain control of points on their side of the map. So, you will lose your DP then lose ships and then not be able to redeploy reinforcements, then not be able to retake points, since you are outnumbered, and then you will get overwhelmed and die :). And even if you have 50 Auroras, they would all get grinded down by the 80 DP difference. No ship is good enough to overcome that in vanilla.

So, wat do?

How to win

You only need to capture the points for a second. Just to deploy your ships. Then it might be a good idea to regroup all your forces in the back with a defend order on a waypoint. Don't try to contest point, because at this point Radiant are catching up and they are very prone to oneshoting ships. Especially if they are a Big Boy. If you lose a ship now you won't be able to replace it. This will lead to the fun, balanced chain of events describe above.

I have not tested every ship or strategy. This is just what I have been using and it's probably not optimal. There are probably lost of way to beat them now that I have identified the problems. The specific loadout is not that important. If you are not sure, follow the loadout guide pinned on the forum. Also probably get more game experience before you try doing this. This is by far the hardest content in the game. I will outline what I have been using. You will need:

Your own triple S-Mod integrated Alpha AI Radiant. The best 40 DP you can get in the game.
Triple S-Mod Ziggurat piloted by YOU with relevant combat skills, most importantly Phase Mastery.
Between four and six Triple S-Mod Auroras with good officers with relevant skills.
Hyperion or two.
Few Omens.

The strategy is: deploy IN the Hyperion and teleport to their far point. You must do this by hand! Since it's their point they will contest it before you manage to capture. Unfortunately, there is no "capture point at all cost" command. The AI Hyperion is very prone to their signature move "nothing personnel kid" AKA teleporting behind ships and moving FROM the point thus losing control before it's captured and then not being able to regain control because the enemy is now on the point.

Let the Ziggurat, Radiant and Aurora capture the other two points. These guys are also inconsistent. They might get distracted on the way, but it's less likely because it's your control points. With some luck you should get the max DP you can. Deploy the rest of your forces, or what you can more exactly.

Now it might be a good idea to give up control of the points completely, regroup your fleet and get to work. What you got is what you get. This depends on enemy Radiant layout, control point type and spawn location and your ship AI performance. For example: If it's a favorable situation it might be a good idea to give up the forward point and keep your points to try and get some reinforcements. Or try to keep them all. It all depends. Use your head!

Set the Radiants to Avoid. You do this because if your ships get to close, they might get deleted. Your job, now that you have transferred from the Hyperion, is to distract, damage or kill the Radiants in your Ziggurat. Your fleet should be able to handle other ships. Especially your Radiant. DON'T get distracted killing smaller ships. If you fail to keep the Radiants busy they will act as an anchor for the rest of the enemy fleet and make them much more likely to gang up on ships.

The enemy is the Fearless AI personality. They have a tendency to gang up on ships, but you can use this against them. They often expose themself to too much risk. So, by keeping the Radiants busy you should start to see the rest of their fleet fall to your superior ships. Eventually you will prevail.

Why is the Big Boy the most dangerous layout? The Tachyon Lance is the hard counter to the Ziggurat. This is because if you misclick or misjudge the range you will get clapped for half your hull points or just die. Also, the AI struggles at anticipating that much burst damage. I have seen ships deleted. Worse yet I have seen some absolute 300 IQ maneuvers from the Big Boy. Did you know that if you fire the Tachyon Lance then Phase Jump it doesn't interrupt the Tachyon Lance? Well now you do! I have been killed by Radiants Phase Jump Lancing me, with three jumps, while I'm venting. From off screen. They don't mess around.

Consistency and RNG

There is something to understand here to reach Inner Peace. It's out of your hands. You could get some low testosterone pusboy Radiants. Or you could get the average Tachyon Lance enjoyer Radiant. You could get diamond control point layout that guarantees that you will get three points. Or you could get parallel layout with no 40 DP point that guarantees that you will be fighting with a 40 DP disadvantage. Your Radiant might be going full beast mode killing ships nonstop. Or it might have gotten distracted chasing some frigate and now it's just flying around as your Auroras get gangbanged. It's out of your hands. And perhaps that how some fights should be.

Why even do this?

And your prize for doing all this?

Spoiler
Fuckall
[close]

But for real, you will get some AI cores and bragging rights. However, if you are beating triple Radiant Remnant Ordo fleets, the game is over already. I'm pretty sure you don't need more AI cores. Last thing. There are Remnant fleets that can spawn with the Tesseract. This is the only farmable source of Omega weapons in the game. The Ziggurat claps that ship one on one, but it's not one on one init bruv? I will admit I have not fought a triple Radiant plus Tesseract fleet. I never saw it spawn, but I saw same people share an image.

I have been seeing Radiants in my dream. That is not a joke. For three days I would wake up with some more ideas on how to beat them. With that I can finally rest.

Inner peace.

PS: Solar Shielding applies to shields. Install on all ships.
PPS: Some cool screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/FtI5uD7.
PPPS:
Spoiler
High Tech Best Tech. Low tech is for NERDS!
[close]
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 03:58:44 AM by NaniByte »
We look like we are fighting each other, but really we are fighting ourselves.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Guide to killing big [REDACTED] fleets
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 01:31:27 AM »

I find it funny that you advise avoiding Radiants. My favourite strategy is to let the combat flow until an opportunity presents itself, then have my own Radiant and my other ships gang up on it. My own Radiant is stronger than enemy Radiants, with Aurora and Fury support it can end them in an instant, and it only has two s-mods.
I would also say that if you're going for phase ships, you might as well go all the way and get the Doom.

NaniByte

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 03:11:59 AM »

I find it funny that you advise avoiding Radiants. My favourite strategy is to let the combat flow until an opportunity presents itself, then have my own Radiant and my other ships gang up on it. My own Radiant is stronger than enemy Radiants, with Aurora and Fury support it can end them in an instant, and it only has two s-mods.
I would also say that if you're going for phase ships, you might as well go all the way and get the Doom.

Like I said it's just the strategy I use, and there are many ways to beat them probably. Regarding Dooms I find them very inconsistent in the AI hands and in this fight. Usually the AI would blow itself up or get oneshoted. Also I find the Ziggaraut much more capable when fighting double or triple Big Boys.

Undead

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 04:03:26 AM »

Your own triple S-Mod integrated Alpha AI Radiant.

Stopped reading right there. You suggest spending 10 out of 15 skill points just to get a slightly stronger that average capital ship?

As for beating strong enemy forces, oldest military rule applies: divide and conquer. Get yourself a fast frigate, get behind enemy lines, and bait half the army to yourself, while the other half gets munched by your forces.

Pappus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 04:07:36 AM »

Your own triple S-Mod integrated Alpha AI Radiant.

Stopped reading right there. You suggest spending 10 out of 15 skill points just to get a slightly stronger that average capital ship?

As for beating strong enemy forces, oldest military rule applies: divide and conquer. Get yourself a fast frigate, get behind enemy lines, and bait half the army to yourself, while the other half gets munched by your forces.

The radiant is by no means slightly stronger, but I agree that he is more of a crutch. I will banish him out of my fleet and go back to proper fleet management.

NaniByte

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 05:09:48 AM »

The Radiant not slightly stronger. It can literally 1vs10+. Yes I am suggesting going for for the tech tree as the tier 5 skill are the best in the game. The Radiant supported by the player in a Ziggurat is the end game fleet. All other ships are inferior. What are you going to go for? The Leadership tree?

You can't divide and conquer. The AI isn't stupid to send half it's fleet to chase one frigate. Also frigate get are the MOST likely to get deleted instantly. They have low firepower and worse then that low PPT. Meaning that a Tempest or Omen will fall apart mid combat.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 07:46:18 AM »

The AI is definitely stupid enough to get excessively tunneled on a single frigate, just fly your own frigate or phase ship behind a big enemy fleet and watch them all turn their engines to the rest of your fleet lol.

Also, good frigates (scarab tempest hyperion and omen to a lesser degree) are more survivable than almost any other ship, because of their speed. In my experience, on this patch speed is more valuable than tank stats for survivability. Radiant is of course also incredible, and I would combo high end officered frigates with a radiant.

With regards to doom, I think an issue got fixed where it would underestimate mine explosion radii and hurt itself, so that could help with consistency.

Pappus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 07:55:44 AM »

The Radiant not slightly stronger. It can literally 1vs10+. Yes I am suggesting going for for the tech tree as the tier 5 skill are the best in the game. The Radiant supported by the player in a Ziggurat is the end game fleet. All other ships are inferior. What are you going to go for? The Leadership tree?

You can't divide and conquer. The AI isn't stupid to send half it's fleet to chase one frigate. Also frigate get are the MOST likely to get deleted instantly. They have low firepower and worse then that low PPT. Meaning that a Tempest or Omen will fall apart mid combat.

You can divide and conquer to a degree. The AI will try to get the points captured and if their capper dies, then another one comes. While at first it doesn't seem like much but numerical advantage is a trigger for your own AI and the enemy fleet can reinforce less aswell since they are bound to DP (latter is something I imagine)

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 08:46:52 AM »

I didn't get it. You either using phase or not. If you are using it you chain deploy Harbingers. If you don't wanna waste too much time you can also field some mopping up forces. There is no RNG but only completely one sided slaughter.

And there is all other, non-phase, scenarios. The actually interesting ones.

TottiTheTurtle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 04:46:19 PM »

I really liked the reward at the end of your post.

But you forgot all the juicy AI cores and wings for dessert.

Low Settings

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 05:12:33 PM »

[/quote]

That is a legitimate strategy, tried it myself using an odyssey instead of a frigate

pponmypupu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2021, 05:17:15 PM »

Here's an example of executing the avoid strategy with the humble eagle, dusa and conquest.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 05:30:06 PM by pponmypupu »

NaniByte

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 03:05:27 AM »

This looks about what I expect.

When I started this I didn't really understand DP or fleet commands, but it doesn't seem so impossible these days. I will say I have underestimated fleet granularity. Being able to grantee three points is big deal. Your deployed fleet does use 33 story points tho, so if you wasted your story points early like me you probably can't replicate that.

I haven't tried SO because it's icky, but it seems very strong. The speed is the main factor.

On the other hand my strategy probably concentrates too much power in one point with the Ziggurat. I don't know tho. Can't really test anymore. I'm tired of Remnants.

narf03

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2022, 05:05:47 PM »

did spent some time R&D into this, want to share some ideas, but i have some mods, its not completely vanilla, so not sure if it really works in your games.

btw my english is so-so, ignore all grammar mistakes.

1) take over a planet in remnant high risk system, fill it with supplies, it serve as a repair station
2) find, equip and max out 2 best ships you can get, should be 1 Radiant with beta core and another capital ship with best captain
3) deposit all ships except your 2 best ships to the planet
4) goto game setting, limit battle deployment points to sum of your 2 best ships(x2)
5) lure remnant fleets away from your planet, then bring 1 fleet back to the planet
6) start the fight with both ships, instantly move both ships to either bottom left or bottom right corner of the map

it should be a small map with no nav point. ai will not deploy radiant at beginning, unless its a very small fleet, they come at the end.

your radiant should be very powerful, it almost can survive on its own, with your other capital ship, should be no issue taking care all the small remnant ships.

new ai ships will join battle when you kill existing ones, they need time to travel to you, so most of the time you are fighting half of them, the other half are on the way, so the further you are from their entry point, the better.

when ai start deploy radiant, do not kill every other ships, cause if you do, then you might need to fight 2 ai radiants at the same time(dont do it), usually what left over are small carriers, they dont really do damage, focus into killing the radiant 1 by 1.

consider retreat if you need repair, since you have no other ships in your fleet, nothing much to worry, and you are just next to your planet, so you can just repair directly

if you manage to win, salvage all, ignore about overweight, benefit of fighting next to your planet, you can just deposit them into your planet, repair, then continue to the next fleet.

tested this strategy a few times, doesnt need to retreat at all
Spoiler

[close]

Salter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2022, 07:14:38 PM »

Phase ships generally require dedicated officers with the right AI and a couple of skills to work really, which is why I avoid using them for Ordo's, unless its zig. Zig can actually do some nasty things by itself, even with phase ships nerfed as they are. Plus if you get phase ships, you are basically locked into a high-tech build and that limits your main-fleet options alot.

There is a wolfpack tactics video on youtube by Ponb Ponin that shows how to reliably tackle ordo's, remnant stations and redacted with a high-tech frigate swarm. Its from an older version, but most of the ship builds still work for current version and ive tried it out. It works, usually.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 07:16:33 PM by Salter »
Pages: [1] 2