Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Nanoforge not affecting fleet quality with hired administrator  (Read 1032 times)

YAZF

• Commander
    • View Profile

My corrupted nanoforge only seems to work properly while my character is personally governing the colony it's installed in. The forge increases resource production regardless of who is assigned to the colony, but not fleet ship quality. I tried unassigning and reassigning the hired administrator, but the problem kept coming back. I haven't tried completely replacing the administrator yet. For reference, my character (Varuna Cruz) has the Industrial Planning skill, and the admin has the Space Operations skill.

Also the +25% fleet size bonus given by Space Operations is still called Fleet Logistics in this screen.

Dear Alex,
There should be a battlestation/star fortress fight in the main menu mission mode.  :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Nanoforge not affecting fleet quality with hired administrator
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 04:36:00 PM »

Thanks for the report! Do you happen to have multiple colonies? I can see how this could happen if, say, the supplier of Ship hulls & weapons demand switches depending on whether you or the admin are in control of the colony.

(Also, this appears to be with mods? Let me move it to that section.)

YAZF

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 05:29:38 PM »

Ah I see. Yes, I do have another larger colony with Heavy Industry which naturally produces more than this colony. The nanoforge wasn't installed there to avoid pollution problems. I was unaware the forge had to be installed in the largest producing colony. In terms of mods, currently it's a few QoL stuff and cosmetics like SpeedUp, Portrait Packs, etc. Nothing that effects gameplay. 
Dear Alex,
There should be a battlestation/star fortress fight in the main menu mission mode.  :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 05:42:10 PM »

Gotcha - this sounds like expected (but perhaps confusing/unclear) behavior. Basically, ship quality bonuses for *production* apply for the largest producer in the faction.

(... looking at the code, though, there *is* a bit of a bug here, I think? Wasn't affecting your case, I don't think, but stuff was dependent on which order the markets would be looked at, so you could end up using a smaller producer's quality if the ordering was just right. Fixed that up.)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 06:28:55 PM »

Should the source of the quality modifier be changed to just the highest quality source regardless of size? Less confusing and more straightforward.

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 07:21:35 PM »

If all the colonies with heavy industry/orbital are the same size, does it choose a random one or the highest quality one?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 07:54:24 PM »

Should the source of the quality modifier be changed to just the highest quality source regardless of size? Less confusing and more straightforward.

Hmm, maybe? But it seems like it could be weird if e.g. the regular high-quality source is disrupted and can't meet demand but ship quality elsewhere is not affected.

If all the colonies with heavy industry/orbital are the same size, does it choose a random one or the highest quality one?

It chooses the higher-quality one in that case.