Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reorganize the intel categories or add hotkeys  (Read 707 times)

Linguistie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Reorganize the intel categories or add hotkeys
« on: April 27, 2021, 10:51:40 AM »

The categories at the bottom always feel like a mess.
It's imposible to muscle memorize them as they change places all the time.
Some categories (like Colony threats) disappear - which is really annoying.
And it does not feel like there is any structure to how they are layed out.

I assume it is just a place holder? If not, maybe making permament categories either with icons or just the way it is with text without them disappear would be a good start.

EDIT: And yeah, before I forget - adding some hotkeys like "G" for "Gates" would be great. It is tiring to click on gates each time to recall where they are.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 10:56:33 AM by Linguistie »

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
Re: Reorganize the intel categories or add hotkeys
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 12:30:42 PM »

There is a way to have multiple tabs highlighted with ctrl-click, but hotkeys would be nice.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 02:30:18 PM »

The sort order of the categories kills me.  Between it not being alpha sorted and categories appearing and disappearing it reminds me of the hi-jinks Windows used to pull with hiding things you don't use often so every time you come to that part of the UI you have to look at everything to find anything.

A simple fix would be to sort the non-faction, non-new category by alpha, at least then there would be some order.

Generally though I don't feel the Intel screen quite works and the ideal solution would see it merged with the general map.  But I can't quite articulate how that would work.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 05:13:11 PM »

Intel and map merge would be very nice. One pain-point is navigating to an in-system location from the intel screen: you have to switch to the general map to do it.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 05:45:13 PM »

Intel and map merge would be very nice. One pain-point is navigating to an in-system location from the intel screen: you have to switch to the general map to do it.

Yeah, every time I have to do that I consider starting this post.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 05:53:20 PM »

Yeah, every time I have to do that I consider starting this post.

Honest question: how is this a pain point? You press S and right-click. I'm having a hard time visualizing a scenario where you wouldn't have to do *something* to switch to the system view.

(Edit: ah, I think I understand - you mean not a mission target, but just somewhere else. Right, ok.)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 05:59:45 PM by Alex »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 06:10:45 PM »

Yeah, like you can often pinpoint what planet a bounty fleet is at, but you can't set a course there from the intel screen.

nathanebht

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 04:42:26 AM »

There is a way to have multiple tabs highlighted with ctrl-click, but hotkeys would be nice.

Hate that the intel categories move about. Didn't know you can control click them to get multiple selected. Thanks!