Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Black Hole Interaction with Stars Maybe?  (Read 1224 times)

beholdadam

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Black Hole Interaction with Stars Maybe?
« on: April 28, 2021, 11:58:01 PM »

It would be lovely if you could see a star's mass being pulled into a black hole... https://imgur.com/a/iB0UzbO

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Black Hole Interaction with Stars Maybe?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 03:20:51 AM »

You do already get systems with accretion disks (the things that look like this), which are what you get when material falls into a black hole. However, you can have a star just happily orbiting a black hole without any being sucked in! It's down to roche lobe overflow- an orbiting star's material will only be sucked into a black hole if the star is close enough that the region where its gravity dominates over that of the black hole is within the star's radius.

Though you get much cooler visuals in tidal disruption events, when rather than being in a stable orbit around a black hole a star swings close to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXIRhYBRtRE

beholdadam

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 10:33:58 AM »

That. Is. Amazing!  Thank you.  I really, really, really love this game and its people.

Euripides

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 05:38:33 PM »

I'd like the star system generation to respect kepler's laws

things should orbit their barycenter; binary and especially trinary systems in starsector are very very very far off how they work in reality.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 04:02:06 PM »

I'd like the star system generation to respect kepler's laws

things should orbit their barycenter; binary and especially trinary systems in starsector are very very very far off how they work in reality.

There have also been posts pointing out that black holes are physically inaccurate due to lacking time dilation effects (which would prolly be easier to implement since basically a function of radial distance, and time variable already exists in-game).  And now you want to add the three-body problem?  Maybe by SS 2...
I wasn't always a Judge...

IdoubtIthinkI

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 05:11:40 AM »

There have also been posts pointing out that black holes are physically inaccurate due to lacking time dilation effects (which would prolly be easier to implement since basically a function of radial distance, and time variable already exists in-game).  And now you want to add the three-body problem?  Maybe by SS 2...

The Three-body problem is probably the least appreciated problem among people with casual knowledge on the greater subject. I say this as one who never knew its import until my engineer roommate told me of it years ago.

It makes me think that games where it's a major facet (i.e. not Starsector, but things like Kerbal Space Program) should prolly include a mention of how complicated it can be.

With that said, visual effects to OP's point sounds like the perfect thing (if possible) for mods.

Euripides

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 08:16:19 PM »

And now you want to add the three-body problem?
That is not what I said, that is not what I suggested, and that doesn't even make sense

There is no physics simulation, this isn't an issue.
You don't need a physics engine to have accurate representation of solar systems and masses orbiting each other

Even if you added a physics calculation for solar system generation it doesn't mean you'd need to do perfect physics simulation /anyway/

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 03:33:10 AM »

And now you want to add the three-body problem?
That is not what I said, that is not what I suggested, and that doesn't even make sense

There is no physics simulation, this isn't an issue.
You don't need a physics engine to have accurate representation of solar systems and masses orbiting each other

Even if you added a physics calculation for solar system generation it doesn't mean you'd need to do perfect physics simulation /anyway/

You don't get to re-interpret your previous statement out of context without admitting that you gotta do some more research.  Newtonian or Keplerian isn't Einsteinian, don't b itch and moan about barycenters without considering the ramifications of your statement.

Regarding OP (kinda forgot to mention this in my previous post), accretion discs arguably approach light speed as they cross the event horizon, so it should otherwise kinda white out part of the screen.  Do I really have to post a link to that scene from Christopher Nolan's Interstellar?  Modding it in is prolly the best compromise.
I wasn't always a Judge...