Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: How to attack/destroy patrol ships from NEW BOUNTIES without losing reputation?  (Read 3043 times)

Nivri

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Sooo basically, I went down to a bounty hunter dealer guy in the bar and accepted a mission to kill a patrol officer from the Sindrian Diktat. I went to the star system, hid inside a debris field or ring something, and turned off my transponder. Then, I rushed the patrol officer and got minus reputation for not turning on my transponder... Then when I tried to move in to engagement, their is a warning about the faction turning hostile...

I turned off my transponder, any professionals out there who have a lot of experience that can help me out? I want to know also for trading/black market purposes as to not get minus reputation everytime. :)

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile

If a patrol fleet catches you not running your transponder you unavoidably lose reputation, and you unavoidably lose more reputation if you don't comply with their demand to turn it on. Of course if you do turn it on they'll know who you are, at which point attacking them will trigger hostilities. As for getting the hostility warning, if a fleet recently saw you with your transponder running they'll be able to identify you even if you turn your transponder off. I don't know how long it takes for a fleet to "forget" who you are, though.

In short, don't accept underworld bounties against factions you mind losing reputation with. It's all but impossible to avoid reputation loss.

Nivri

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Ohhh.. what if I don't turn on my transponder when getting inside the star system? Would that stop the patrol officers from identifying me? I know I'll still get the minus rep from the "No Transponder warning" but will this at least let me attack/destroy the patrol officer without triggering hostilities?

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile

Ohhh.. what if I don't turn on my transponder when getting inside the star system? Would that stop the patrol officers from identifying me? I know I'll still get the minus rep from the "No Transponder warning" but will this at least let me attack/destroy the patrol officer without triggering hostilities?
It will stop officers from identifying you, yes, unless you've been in the system with an active transponder recently. And yes, that will allow you to attack and destroy fleets with only the -5 rep penalty for unconfirmed hostile actions, instead of the instant hostilities for confirmed hostile actions.

Mind you that not running your transponder will result in every fleet making a beeline towards you, and if you turn on your transponder after doing something that would normally trigger hostilities it will trigger hostilities since you'll be positively identified as having committed a hostile action. So unless you've got a fleet to outright scare patrols off then after attacking your target you might be forced to attack every fleet, taking rep hits for refusing to turn on your transponder/unconfirmed hostile actions every time a fleet touches you, until you're able to get out of the system and escape. Once you escape the system entirely people won't be able to confirm you committed the crimes, by the way, even if you jump right back in with your transponder on (I believe, maybe don't quote me on that if you're running an ironman campaign).

So yes, Transverse Jump is indeed going to be your friend.

Nivri

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Ohhhh okay okay I'ma go ahead and experiment on a new save haha.. Thank you so much ;D

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I typically enter the system with transponder off, do what I need and leave.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Would be nice if you could hire some pirates to start the attack for you while you (transponders off) attack after the battle starts. Kill the mark quick as you like & retreat the battle before the end. You get the bounty but the pirates take the blame.

Nivri

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Would be nice if you could hire some pirates to start the attack for you while you (transponders off) attack after the battle starts. Kill the mark quick as you like & retreat the battle before the end. You get the bounty but the pirates take the blame.

This should be turned into a mod or something....