Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Welcome to the probe country!  (Read 956 times)

snicka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Welcome to the probe country!
« on: April 26, 2021, 12:19:23 AM »

Probes seem to lead to survery ships which seem to lead to motherships and cyrosleepers. The derelicts are fun to fight and go *kaboom* in a satisfactionary way. I really like those exploaration objectives.

But i still tend to avoid systems with probes like plague. Why? Because the presence of a single probe seems to indicate the system and neighbouring ones (possibly a quadrant even) to be "probe country", where, at least in my experience, there seems to be a shared pool of spawnable exploration objectives, which gets eaten up by probes, resulting in FAR less research and mining stations. In far less rare loot.

Is it only my bad luck, or does anybode else share a similar sentiment?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the probe country!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 12:27:03 AM »

Don't quote me on this, but I believe constellations are generated with the same theme in mind.  One of those themes covers the Domain Explorarium probes and such - so once you find one system with a load of probes, chances are you'll find a lot more in that same constellation.  You can bring up the constellations viewer in the map view with the proper filter disabled.

At least for me, early to mid game those systems are worth a lot since I don't need to waste prodigious amounts of credits on fuel and supplies.  I can take a pit stop in that constellation and move on with exploring and checking out potential colonies.  Saves time, too.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 12:28:42 AM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

prav

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 12:32:22 AM »

Good way to grab a shipload of gamma cores and railguns too.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 06:50:02 AM »

As mentioned, constellations have themes. Initially I hated the probe country one, but in the current release survey ships have better loot than mining stations.

Another fun thing to remember is that cryosleepers always spawn in probe-themed constellations, but never in systems for which you were given a "scan a probe" mission. So if you see an ad for a probe scan somewhere, it means that exact system never has a cryosleeper, but one of its neighbours might.

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 10:11:52 AM »

Another fun thing to remember is that cryosleepers always spawn in probe-themed constellations, but never in systems for which you were given a "scan a probe" mission. So if you see an ad for a probe scan somewhere, it means that exact system never has a cryosleeper, but one of its neighbours might.

Before it was patched in last release, you could get a scan coronal tap mission lol, I got one from the Path of all people, the implications were terrifying to say the least.

I didn't know constellations were like that, thought it was just isolated systems, good to know when you are out of fuel and supplies.
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates