Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fighters and Carriers have Lost their Way  (Read 1141 times)

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Fighters and Carriers have Lost their Way
« on: April 26, 2021, 12:05:38 AM »

See this old blogpost about a previous iteration of a fighter overhaul. This was back when fighter wings were another class of ship (like frigates and destroyers) rather than weapons attached to a carrier. In particular these paragraphs:

The first big one is that fighter wings no longer go back to a carrier as a single unit. Instead, individual fighters peel off when they need to repair or rearm, while carriers launch replacements for every wing that needs them. This does a couple of things.

Second, carriers stay busy. There’s almost always a fighter coming in for a landing, a few circling waiting for a free deck to land on, another fighter preparing to take off, etc. More traffic all around lends the proceedings a livelier feel.

What I'm getting at is damaged fighters should automatically return to the carrier for repairs. As it is only bombers in need of a reload ever return to carriers. In fact I'd even go further and limit fighter ammo (and decoy flares) so that all fighters have to rearm at the carrier after an attack run. It just feels right.

If this is too much, then at least in Regroup mode damaged fighters should land for repairs rather than fly around the carrier waiting to be shot down.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fighters and Carriers have Lost their Way
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 05:02:16 AM »

If it a weak, cheap fighter like Talon, I want them to die so they can respawn with two missiles instead of one.  Also, drone fighters have no crew and should be fearless.

However, it makes sense for crewed fighters to dock for repairs if they are merely hovering around the carrier doing nothing.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 10:12:05 AM »

If it a weak, cheap fighter like Talon, I want them to die so they can respawn with two missiles instead of one.  Also, drone fighters have no crew and should be fearless.

However, it makes sense for crewed fighters to dock for repairs if they are merely hovering around the carrier doing nothing.

The implementation of landing and re-launching is really just delete the old fighter and always grant you a new one. There would be no circumstances that it’s only landed for repair, it’ll also rearm.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 10:38:22 AM »

Yeah I agree with this, I made a thread before about suggesting a "dock" command, so when you click the button you get "regroup, engage and dock".
Docking would work by deleting the fighters when they get into the ship, and releasing them when "regroup" is chosen again.
That way we would be able to deploy them only when they are enough to have a decent effect, let recovery rate go up faster, and in the case of gunships with converted hangars and ships like the Odyssey, allow to hide fighters while you are taking heavy fire so they don't just get snuffed. Also allowing to command every carrier in the fleet to dock simultaneously would work wonderfully to keep smaller groups of fighter wings competitive by unleashing them only in full strength. (avoiding them being useless once recovery rate falls too low).
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

Trensicourt

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 12:11:56 PM »

I think there needs to be more fighters per stack in exchange for slightly more OP and less stats. Each wing should calculate the operational feasibility of their fighters. If they are at ~50% in terms of total health, they should retreat to repair and rearm. The player can adjust this percentage. I think this would be a great way of implementing what is proposed.

Satirical

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 02:32:16 PM »

why dont they just land and get a second missile

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 04:27:27 PM »

Because talons swarmers don’t have ammo limits. Any weapon that says “fighter” has infinite ammo in general.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 04:40:06 PM »

Talons' (and Thunders') swarmers are like autopulse.  They start with two charges and regenerate one.  In previous releases, Talons could respawn very fast, faster than it takes to recharge two missiles.  Thus, for maximum DPS, it was better for Talons to fire their missiles, die, respawn, fire two more missiles instead of living and fire only one missile.  Thunders respawn too slowly for this to work.

Of course, with the way things are now, I doubt this would work anymore.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 04:45:49 PM »

Talon's initial rush vs unshielded ships is pretty nasty - 2 wings from a carrier is 16x100 HE damage. Great for clearing pirates, not so great for high end enemies.