Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is this the best recipe for canned crab? Do you have anything tasting better?  (Read 3064 times)

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile

So I found a derelict XIV Crabbinator in the hood while raiding...err...Nachiketa for fuel? That's the one right? The one with the Syncotron core I'm not stealing because I'm planning on buying fuel there for free for the remainder of the campai- oh I'm sidetracking already this is not good.

Back onto the Obese Cruiser With Flux Asthma, I wanted to at least try and use all the weapon mounts this time, and no halfmounting and flipping the bird to the entirety of the large ballistic weapon roster for two Heavy Needlers since that's pretty much all this Continuous Fire Word Misuse joke of a cruiser can handle on most days of the week.

If you've read the suggestion section of the forum and eventually became desperate for constructive discussions enough to read my convoluted messes, you will already know that I tried using the Hegecrabbo with triple Breach SRM and was disappointed with it enough to warrant a thread where I whined about the AI doing AI things. Very original, I know.

So, with the failed attempt of trying the new weapons and the buffed ones, I went to the one setup of the Crabby Patty I actually liked:
Spoiler

Isn't there anyone else disappointed that we get a Volturian Lobster but not a Hegemonian King Crab? What kind of faction bias is this Alex?!
[close]
It also comes with another setup:
Spoiler
This one looks a lot less tasty. Man I don't know what kind of live containment tank they shipped this with but it does not look healthy!
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
Oh, for Ludd's sake Sundog, did you really have to introduce a trait that worsens handling even further?
[close]

I feel really bad about integrating Hardened shields instead of ITU. But we both know which one is more expensive and I sort of wanted them both. That's what you get for not nerfing shields ladies and gentlemen, when even an incredibly specialized, armor tanking Steel Crustacean needs to have Hardened shields you know it's bad.

The reason why this works is very simple. The AI is dumb, on both sides of the engament. Given an identical set of ships and recources, the easiest setup exploiting the second troglodyte on the other side the most wins.

The AI really does not like getting hit with a flaming family car made of plasma every few seconds, so it raises the shields up. Because said flaming family car made of plasma has a VERY long travel time, the AI will keep the shield raised for a long time, opening him up for the most disgusting weapon in the game to do its job: the Overridden Hyperion with Wolfpack Tactics and an Officer the Sabot SRM Pod.

This might sound nonsensical, but those two Hypervelocity Drivers may aswell not be there against enemy cruisers and capitals. In fact they may aswell be detrimental to the ship as a whole since their long range will sometimes drive the enemy away from the range of the sabots. I still installed them since I'd hate for this thing to be completely USELESS against anything anywhere near the definition of "long range", but the build as a whole would probably be better off with either two Heavy Autocannons or Two heavy Needlers instead. Arbalests are out of the question since they have too short of a range even for a cruiser with both ITU and an Officer with Gunnery Implants.

As for the hullmods, I like solar shielding alright? I'm in full midgame and endgame feels like that one scene...movie...Alien? Where Ripley is thinking of the Alien and staying absolutely terrified of it 99% of the movie? You could probably make space for Aux thrusters, but do you really need it with 108 sabots ready to go and fire in a 360°circle surrounding the thing? And what is it even gonna do when the only fixed weapons are a pair of Hellbores? Just show them menacingly at the frigades flanking it, sacrificing a goat to Mammon to hit the Ludd-forsaken thing?

So, how does it fare?
Before any performance is talked about, I'll just premise that I'm almost as close to a 100% tryhard Canned Crab as it gets with 3 hullmods, the technology skill increasing flux capacity and dissipation and 10 skill points into leadership. The only two things I'm missing from making this almost perfect is Elite Missile Specialization for faster Sabot vomit and Elite Impact Mitigation.

It's the only build I could cobble up togheder that manages to defeat Three Crabs in a Bucket by itself under AI control, most of the time. Sometimes the reaper torpedoes tap it a bit too hard.
First crab on the plate opened up while still alive with a knife
Spoiler
[close]
Second crab tossed into boiling water while also still alive
Spoiler
[close]
The third crab ran away inland but got eaten while -of course- still alive by monkeys. It's true. Youtube it up.
Spoiler
[close]

I also had the Pincering Menace face off against the Sim Onslaught and it won, surprisingly. Man the setup of that somehow manages to disappoint me more every time I use it as a benchmark.
Spoiler
[close]

Edit: I've finally gone around and reworked the Hegecrabbo to the specification suggested in this thread! This is how it looks now!
Spoiler
[close]

I've also experimented with the Assault Crustacean variant, but I do realize I've integrated two hullmods (hardened shields, expanded missile racks) an overridden sea dweller of a ship should not have if I'm planning to go whole hog.
Spoiler
[close]
I honestly don't know why people tend to sleep on the Devastator cannon at point blank ranges, it's legit terrifying. I will properly test an Assault Crustacean when I get myself a new ship of the same category what I can properly refit and post the results down here with when that happens!

To close this gruesome culinary experiment making everyone wonder why I don't like crabs, how do you cook it? Is it still using Hellbores or have you loaded it up with mayonaise instead? Let me know!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 11:55:30 AM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

The sim Onslaught.... well it has overkill point defenses and a rocket stream, but thats about it. No frontal kinetics at all is yikes :D

I think that design is not bad, but as you note the HVD's are a bad fit for it. The ship struggles with flux and they are low efficiency, so I'd use heavy needlers instead.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile

The sim Onslaught.... well it has overkill point defenses and a rocket stream, but thats about it. No frontal kinetics at all is yikes :D

I think that design is not bad, but as you note the HVD's are a bad fit for it. The ship struggles with flux and they are low efficiency, so I'd use heavy needlers instead.

I will admit the only reason Hegecrabbo  did not get two Heavy Needlers was because I only had one in the colony I docked at to set the new build up. I went back to my colony where my weapon stash is and I can confirm the ship works a lot better with Heavy Needlers.

I also would not discard the Heavy Autocannon, choosing it over the Needlers will save you 10 Ordinance Points allowing you to install something nice like Armored Weapon Mounts, Automated Repair Unit, Resistant Flux Conduits or even Auxiliary Thrusters if you also cut 5 vents.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I liked one of Thaago's suggestions when we were discussing the Dominator, which was go with Machine Guns and Assault guns to help ward off smaller craft, while relying on the big guns for anti-capital work.  Essentially, a two ranged setup.  The big guns fire at long ranges, while the small guns fire at short, and so you'll generally be only firing half your weapons at a time, easing up on flux issues.

So a mixture of HE and Kinetic in the large mounts, with 900 range.  So Hellbore and Mark IX autocannon.  Notably, this has a higher long range shield damage potential (125+696=821 DPS ) than the double Hellbore + double Hypervelocity driver (552+250=802), for less flux (598/second vs 850/second).  Then in the front two mediums, Heavy Machine guns.  Two assualt guns in the front right and front left mounts.  This gives is a fairly wide anti-frigate zone to the front. The rest of the smalls filled with vulcans.  Add Sabot or Harpoon pods to taste (more Sabots against Remnants, more Harpoons against low tech, etc).

As for officer, I think Elite Shield probably is a better choice than Elite armor for RC15.  Elite armor on a Dominator with Heavy armor really is only meaningful when you're already hull tanking small shots.  The attached images were able to meet the AI challenge of 3 sim Dominators.

[attachment deleted by admin]

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile

3 linked reapers can be pretty nice as a delete button for bigger ships too.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I've updated the OP!
1) Made the thread title as obscure and out of context as I could. Yes, it was necessary.

2) Included the new version using Heavy Autocannons on the medium slots. It works really well. Those two Hypervelocity driver really did scare off maller ships into not getting faceblasted by Sabots first and family cars made of molten plasma later. You can also go for two Heavy needlers, sure, but I also wanted to add Automated Repair unit and those extra 10OP I get for going cheap on the medium turrets were just what was needed!

3)Alluded to a new variant, the Assault Crustacean, which I'm going to waste 3 Story Points on invest into to see if it's actually effective once I can get another XIV variant, because I've got standards.
Spoiler
[close]

The idea would be the following: I am going to commit heresy and skip equipping the medium missile mounts all togheder in this one. Then I'm going to integrate Heavy Armor, Reinforced Bulkheads and maybe Aux thusters. I will also need an officer with Elite Point Defence so that I can also have 3 Dual Light Machineguns at the front with 450 range in addition to the two heavy machineguns. It's going to be great, or horrible since I'm alsoplanning to give it Shield Shunt. Ludd have mercy.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 12:07:57 PM by Arcagnello »

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile

Is "Frigade" short for a brigade of frigates?

Also, horseshoe Onslaught when?

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Is "Frigade" short for a brigade of frigates?
Yes.
Also, horseshoe Onslaught when?
I've got to find the premium, copper horseshoe brand for my pony first, then I'll contact my trusted farrier!

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile

Sometimes I think Monitor is the donut hole to Paragon's donut, but I might be throwing too much Shade there.

Satirical

• Commander
    • View Profile

cute crabbo

Carabus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Why do you have Integrated Point Defense AI in the first one?
All weapons installed on its small mounts are PD already.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Why do you have Integrated Point Defense AI in the first one?
All weapons installed on its small mounts are PD already.

I really do not like the feeling of letting a dominator into the battlefield without dual flaks on those medium turrets. It's biggest weakness is overwhelming high explosive fire and just vulcans simply don't cut it by themselves, so they needed help in the form of Dedicated Point Defence AI since it gives them perfect tracking AND more damage to missiles and fighters.

This can make a difference between getting skewered by Reaper Torpedoes or not, or having the entire ship made immobile by two Salamanders the vulcans had too little range and too bad of a tracking to nail by themselves.

You can probably cut it in favour of some other Hullmod (or just Capacitors, that is also good) if you've got a proper battle line and your ships tend to stick togheder in battle. I just want most of my ships to be completely indipendent and at least resist a while if isolated!

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

IPDAI + Vulcan is very solid. The increased DPS and ability to ignore flares just makes them very dependable in any situation.