Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

Author Topic: [0.97a] AdvancedGunneryControl 1.17.0 - Updated for 0.97a  (Read 174107 times)

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile

Is the Fighter control in the same files as this?

Sometimes you want your bombers keep around your Battlecarrier, not go off and die.
Unfortunately, fighter controls are not part of this mod. It would be a cool feature for sure, but I don't really want to add more new features to the mod.
Maybe it would be possible to make a ship mode that simply tells a ship to keep it's fighters on regroup. But then you would have to manually switch modes all the time.

Can there be a setting to only shoot when the shields are down, regardless of their flux, same goes for always firing on shields no matter what? I feel making the AI have to choose to flash shield or drop the all together would be a good tag, a tag that would have saved me in countless battles.
If I remember correctly, that was the very first implementation of those modes xD
I feel like that tag would be less useful than you think, but when I next get to working on the mod I can add it =)

Catscrath

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Is the Fighter control in the same files as this?

Sometimes you want your bombers keep around your Battlecarrier, not go off and die.
Unfortunately, fighter controls are not part of this mod. It would be a cool feature for sure, but I don't really want to add more new features to the mod.
Maybe it would be possible to make a ship mode that simply tells a ship to keep it's fighters on regroup. But then you would have to manually switch modes all the time.

Tried it out and it seems to work just as intended. Shots mostly get through, enough to still be effective and keep either their shields or armour protected. Taking out dominators front missiles has never been more satisfying~

Can there be a setting to only shoot when the shields are down, regardless of their flux, same goes for always firing on shields no matter what? I feel making the AI have to choose to flash shield or drop the all together would be a good tag, a tag that would have saved me in countless battles.
If I remember correctly, that was the very first implementation of those modes xD
I feel like that tag would be less useful than you think, but when I next get to working on the mod I can add it =)

TheTangy

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Trying this mod in a simulation and I was hoping all my weapons would fire on auto.

Unfortunately, the weapon group I have Selected only fires on manual, even though I ForceAF mode on in the "J" menu.  What am I missing here?

Catscrath

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Trying this mod in a simulation and I was hoping all my weapons would fire on auto.

Unfortunately, the weapon group I have Selected only fires on manual, even though I ForceAF mode on in the "J" menu.  What am I missing here?

You need to set the weapon groups to auto in the weapon groups menu, in the refit hanger.

TheTangy

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I think I did that as well.  Just every auto fire I could get think of, but when a weapon is selected the autofire light blinks and it doesnt autofire.  Is that expected behavior?  I don't think it allows you to deselect all weapons does it? )(ie - one weapon always has to be selected right?)

MrNage

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

My game seems to freeze and even causes my gaming laptop to suffer a critical video memory shortage (and BSOD) whenever I use the in-combat GUI. It usually happens when I flick some of the options and I happen to loiter in the interface too long. Even with this mod being the only one turned on, I tested it on a mission and I eventually received a BSOD. I happen to use JRE8, so I swapped back to JRE7 and tested it again. While it no longer crashes, a periodic lag could be noticed while the combat GUI is pulled up.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 06:41:40 PM by MrNage »

CountV

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Came back to the game after a bit of a break, been using 1.7.0 for a bit and the new targeting prioritization/restrictions are great, they basically covered all the remaining conditions I'd have wanted previously.

Did notice a small issue though, the PrioritisePD mode doesn't seem to account for some weapons ignoring flares (be it innate via the IGNORES_FLARES weapon_data tag or via the IPDAI hullmod). With the PrioritisePD mode on, all PD weapons will target flares regardless.

pearagon

• Ensign
  • im into resting
    • View Profile

I think I did that as well.  Just every auto fire I could get think of, but when a weapon is selected the autofire light blinks and it doesnt autofire.  Is that expected behavior?  I don't think it allows you to deselect all weapons does it? )(ie - one weapon always has to be selected right?)

No, selecting a weapon group functions as a manual override of its autofire setting. See the showcase video at this timestamp: https://youtu.be/Zg4sxRj9V8I?t=54

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile

Hi all!
Sorry for the late reply, I haven't checked the thread forum thread for a while.

No, selecting a weapon group functions as a manual override of its autofire setting. See the showcase video at this timestamp: https://youtu.be/Zg4sxRj9V8I?t=54

Pearagon pretty much nailed it, this mod only affects autofire mode, not manually controlled mode. Force-Autofire only affects AI-controlled ships, so it won't do anything if you are manually controlling the ship. The easiest solution is to simply leave one weapon group (e.g. #7) empty and select that weapon group. If you absolutely need all weapon groups filled and want all weapon groups to be on autofire mode (i.e. not control any weapon group manually), you can set all weapon groups to Force-Autofire (or enable the ship-mode Force-Autofire) and briefly enable autopilot for a second or so, that should deselect all weapon groups for you.

My game seems to freeze and even causes my gaming laptop to suffer a critical video memory shortage (and BSOD) whenever I use the in-combat GUI. It usually happens when I flick some of the options and I happen to loiter in the interface too long. Even with this mod being the only one turned on, I tested it on a mission and I eventually received a BSOD. I happen to use JRE8, so I swapped back to JRE7 and tested it again. While it no longer crashes, a periodic lag could be noticed while the combat GUI is pulled up.

Thanks for reporting this! To be completely honest, I never really paid any attention to performance as far as the combat-GUI goes, mainly because I never noticed any issues and I couldn't really imagine it causing any problems. Guess I was wrong.... Probably I managed to "implement" some kind of memory leak. It should get cleaned up as soon as you close the interface, as it cleans all data on closing. So for now I guess the solution is to close the interface periodically, but I'll try to look into it.

Came back to the game after a bit of a break, been using 1.7.0 for a bit and the new targeting prioritization/restrictions are great, they basically covered all the remaining conditions I'd have wanted previously.

Did notice a small issue though, the PrioritisePD mode doesn't seem to account for some weapons ignoring flares (be it innate via the IGNORES_FLARES weapon_data tag or via the IPDAI hullmod). With the PrioritisePD mode on, all PD weapons will target flares regardless.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll look into it! I think this should (hopefully) be an easy fix =)

I can't really make any promises for when a patch for these issues will come out, as that depends a lot on how tough to fix they are and I currently don't have tons of time/energy to work on the mod.

Genir

• Commander
    • View Profile

I have a question about Breach SRM. In vanilla, ships do fire them at fighters, especially when fighting remnants. Can I use AdvancedGunnery to prevent this behavior?

I already tried different tags (NoFighters, Opportunist, BigShips). Those tags allow to reliably prevent other weapons from firing at fighters, but seem to have no effect on Breach SRM.

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile

I have a question about Breach SRM. In vanilla, ships do fire them at fighters, especially when fighting remnants. Can I use AdvancedGunnery to prevent this behavior?

I already tried different tags (NoFighters, Opportunist, BigShips). Those tags allow to reliably prevent other weapons from firing at fighters, but seem to have no effect on Breach SRM.

I added a FAQ-section to the main page, I believe that it should answer this question. If "AI-controlled ship decides to manually control missile weapon groups" isn't the answer in this case, please let me know and ideally give me a more detailed description and I'll look into it!

Genir

• Commander
    • View Profile

I added a FAQ-section to the main page, I believe that it should answer this question. If "AI-controlled ship decides to manually control missile weapon groups" isn't the answer in this case, please let me know and ideally give me a more detailed description and I'll look into it!

Yes, this is indeed the case. Thank you for your answer.

Setting ForceAF made the ships really trigger happy with Breach SRM, compared to default AI. Even with the most restrictive tag combinations I tried. So unfortunate. But it show how well te dafault AI is written.

Regarding the FAQ, yes, I happen to know Kotlin, sort of. Now it's time to check if I feel masochistic... At least it's not Lua, with its 1-indexed arrays, used to mod Factorio.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 01:08:18 PM by Genir »

Genir

• Commander
    • View Profile

I'm going through the Kotlin code to try to understand how it works and how fire/don't fire decisions are made. And also making some modifications specific to my use case.

There's a lot of code required to make the mod work! Thank you for all the effort you had to put in it.

Anyway, the question is are you OK with me posting code-specific questions here?

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile

I'm going through the Kotlin code to try to understand how it works and how fire/don't fire decisions are made. And also making some modifications specific to my use case.

There's a lot of code required to make the mod work! Thank you for all the effort you had to put in it.

Anyway, the question is are you OK with me posting code-specific questions here?

Awesome to hear that you are actually interested in trying to implement that feature! :)

It's always pretty difficult to get familiar with a new code-base, especially one that was written as a personal project and thus not always organized in the easiest-to-understand way :P

So feel free to ask as many questions as you want! I'm cool with you asking code-specific questions here, but it's probably easier via Discord (@Jannes on the Starsector Discord).

I probably won't have much time until after New Years, though.

Happy New Years!

Genir

• Commander
    • View Profile

I don't think I'll be playing starsector long enough to implement gunnery control for AI weapons. Instead, I'm tweaking the existing base functionality of your mod and getting even better results than the default AI. So I want to focus on contributing to that part of the codebase.

I've published a little PR on github (as Halka1986), if you're interested :)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21