Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: [0.97a] AdvancedGunneryControl 1.17.0 - Updated for 0.97a  (Read 174033 times)

JamesBai03

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] AdvancedGunneryControl 0.10.2
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2021, 09:00:06 AM »

amazing mod, one problem I have is that when I do missions, i dont have access to the campaign map. Incidentally, my keyboard doesnt have numpad either so I cant access the GUI either way.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 09:44:23 AM by JamesBai03 »

Raitaki

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2021, 04:54:52 PM »

Update on the friendly fire problem: After some more playtime, I'm starting to think only the player-controlled ship is being "unseen" to AI ships. And before anyone asks: no, I'm not talking about me simply wandering into friendly AI's projectiles. I mean I'm flying in a forward straight line, AI comes up directly behind me also in a forward straight line, then proceeds to fire non-shop directly into my engines until I give it an order to btfo and go elsewhere entirely.

JamesBai03

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2021, 10:08:45 PM »

Another problem, while using the dominator class and mounting two high explosive weapon in the large frontal slots, the opportunist auto firing mod does not work most of the time, prob because the hitscan setting prevents it from ascertaining a hit (since the weapon arcs are narrow for the 2 slots). Mostly its only 1 of  the 2 weapons firing, although both could land shots.

ps: after some hours of testing, it appears that the hitbox scan is off. This becomes especially problematic when the weapon slot arcs narrow. Vanilla AI seems to be working fine tho.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 01:54:05 AM by JamesBai03 »

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2021, 02:56:35 AM »

I recently updated my mods en masse, and ever since I've been seeing some instances of ships in my fleet making ruthless friendly-fire barrages--I'm talking about "relentlessly unload into friendly destroyer/cruiser-sized ships at point-blank without trying to maneuver out from behind them". Since I updated quite a few mods at once, I can't say for sure that this mod was the culprit, but none of the other mods are supposed to alter combat AI. I also haven't messed with this mod's settings either. Has this happened to anyone else using this mod?

I'm not seeing this issue but am on v0.10.1. Are you on v0.10.2/0.10.3?
0.10.3, yes. Before mass-updating my mods I was on 0.10.2 and didn't spot AI ever doing that back then.

Edit: Also some of my two cents now that I've used this mod for a while in the lategame:
- Would it be possible to make "TargetShields/AvoidShields" behave more closely than their name suggests? With the default Settings.editme values, they do behave as labeled if you took two weapon groups of the same weapon and set one to TargetShields and the other to AvoidShields (which, of course, is kind of pointless in practice). Meanwhile, with one kinetic weapon and one HE, they largely ignore these 2 modes and instead simply pursue damage efficiency, which IS still fine, but...kinetic + energy weapon combos result in a loadout that overwhelmingly prefers the kinetic weapons while its usage of the energy weapon can be described at best as "whenever it feels like it", regardless of which EITHER is set to or the flux level (or overload status!) of the enemy ship. Big problem for hybrid ships, since unless you got yourself a decent energy weapon that does kinetic/HE damage (probably modded...), whichever fares worse against shields will probably be ignored by the AI most of the time.
- This mod seems to override the vanilla AI behaviour of automatically turning turrets forward (or at least in SOME intentional direction) when not in the middle of the firefight; add the fact it apparently doesn't check the turret's current facing before firing, and we get an AI that makes a habit of completely whiffing the first few shots on any low-turn-rate weapons it doesn't manually aim that face the sides by default (e.g. Legion, Dominator class). Especially on missile ships, well, AI loves aiming missiles for whatever reason, so those two examples given are very frequent victims to this little flaw.
- Speaking of missiles, this is probably my biggest sore point regarding odd AI behaviours, both with and without this mod. Both AI versions love manually aim missile weapon groups, even missiles with great tracking and DO_NOT_AIM tags and does this at basically every opportunity, usually with a dps loss for every other weapon group whenever it launches missiles since apparently they also make it forget that autofiring exists. This is vanilla behaviour, so I know the mod can't be blamed for this, but it would be wonderful if you could find a way to fix it somehow.
- On top of that missiles also completely ignore every AI mode from this mod that tells it not to do something--which is to say, Fighters, NoFighters, AvoidShields, so on. Swarmer launchers don't care that they're anti-smallcraft, AvoidShields missiles of any type get happily launched as soon as refire delay ends even on 0-flux targets, etc. Pretty big bummer for low-tech lovers like me, this basically made me give up on the idea of autofiring most missiles on my flagships and only equip ok-to-spam missiles like sabots and salamanders on most my ships, or even leaving slots empty. Definitely an issue I'd be delighted to see a fix for.

Thanks for the detailed feedback!

On the "friendly fire" issue:
I'm kinda assuming that I messed up the fix (0.10.3 pre-release) that was supposed to stop firing weapons into husks/debris. I did this by modifying the "avoid friendly fire"-logic, so it's definitely plausible that those modifications introduced new problems, as they tend to do =/ During my testing I never encountered that issue, but then again, I didn't do a ton of testing... As this sounds like a pretty serious issue I will definitely look into fixing this!

Update on the friendly fire problem: After some more playtime, I'm starting to think only the player-controlled ship is being "unseen" to AI ships. And before anyone asks: no, I'm not talking about me simply wandering into friendly AI's projectiles. I mean I'm flying in a forward straight line, AI comes up directly behind me also in a forward straight line, then proceeds to fire non-shop directly into my engines until I give it an order to btfo and go elsewhere entirely.

That's super strange... In the code, ships have an "owner" flag which identifies whether the ship belongs to the player side, is allied, an enemy, or neutral (husks). Maybe, for some reason, your player controlled ship isn't properly flagged for some reason?

Were you in between your allied ship and an enemy? (In that case, it's probably an issue with the "do not fire at friendlies"-logic)
Or did the ship simply fire at your ship? (In that case, it's probably an issue with your ship being identified as a hostile for some weird reason)

Edit: After doing a little bit more testing, I can't reproduce the issue. Also, I double-checked all the changes to the code and I can't seem to find a change that could realistically be responsible for this. In essence, the change I did, boils down to this (+ means line added, - means line removed. 0 means player faction, 1 means enemy faction and 100 means neutral):

protected fun getFriendlies(): List<Pair<CombatEntityAPI, Vector2f>> {
         return addPredictedLocationToTargets(
             CombatUtils.getShipsWithinRange(weapon.location, weapon.range).filter {
-                (it.isAlly || (it.owner == 0)) && isWithinArc(it) && !it.isFighter
+                (it.isAlly || (it.owner == 0) || (it.owner == 100 && shouldConsiderNeutralsAsFriendlies())) &&
+                        isWithinArc(it) && !it.isFighter
             }).filter { isInRange(it.second) }
     }

So I don't really know how that could cause friendly fire to happen.
If you have any ideas/additional info (weapon types/modes etc.), or if someone else can reproduce the issue, please let me know!
This sounds like a very serious issue, but I have no idea how to reproduce or fix it =(

On the TargetShields/AvoidShields issue:
To be perfectly honest, I'm not really sure if I understand what the issue is. Weapons set to AvoidShields should only fire at targets that have a) high flux, b) high-ish flux and shields turned off or c) no shields. TargetShields does the inverse. If you have a kinetic weapon set to TargetShields and a non-beam Energy weapon, wouldn't it make more sense to simply set the Energy weapon to default mode? Other weapon groups set to Target/Avoid shields shouldn't really have any impact on how the weapon group in question behaves. If you could rephrase this issue that would be much appreciated!

On the turning turrets issue:
That's a good point, I never really considered this. I think i simply give no turning directions at all if there are no (valid) targets nearby. Probably it would make the most sense to make turrets return to the center of their cone if there are no targets nearby?

Edit: This was easy enough to implement. When there are no (valid) targets available, weapons will now try to face in the same direction as the ship.

On the DO_NOT_AIM-issue:
That's odd, I thought my targeting logic looked for that flag and didn't do any targeting if that flag is set. But tbh I never payed much attention to that detail during testing, so I will have another look!

Edit: Ok, so I actually did have logic for this, it just turned out that the logic wasn't very sound xD
In the current version, the logic goes like this: "If a weapon is not aimable, simply aim it at the current position of the enemy (rather than the predicted position) and don't consider the current weapon angle when deciding whether to fire or not".
In the new version, it will be like this: "If a weapon is not aimable, simply always leave it in default position and don't consider its angle when deciding whether to fire or not".

On the missiles ignoring targeting restrictions:
That's super weird, I don't think I ever encountered that issue. I'll try to look into it!

amazing mod, one problem I have is that when I do missions, i dont have access to the campaign map. Incidentally, my keyboard doesnt have numpad either so I cant access the GUI either way.
Yeah, unfortunately there is no way for me to open a GUI in the middle of combat (the game doesn't allow that), so unfortunately the GUI won't be available for missions...
Wow, I didn't know there were keyboards without a numpad, today I learned... xD
My mod doesn't actually specifically require you to use the numpad, it requires you to use number keys that aren't used by the base game.
So, in theory, you could rebind your weapon groups to e.g. F1..F6 and then use the normal number keys to cycle weapon modes...
But that, obviously, isn't a very good solution =/
I could, in theory, make the number keys rebindable, but to be perfectly honest, I don't really want to, as that would be a lot of work and include lots of ugly code xD
So, unfortunately, I'm afraid there isn't much that I can reasonably do for you here-

Another problem, while using the dominator class and mounting two high explosive weapon in the large frontal slots, the opportunist auto firing mod does not work most of the time, prob because the hitscan setting prevents it from ascertaining a hit (since the weapon arcs are narrow for the 2 slots). Mostly its only 1 of  the 2 weapons firing, although both could land shots.

ps: after some hours of testing, it appears that the hitbox scan is off. This becomes especially problematic when the weapon slot arcs narrow. Vanilla AI seems to be working fine tho.
Hmm, the easy solution for this would be to simply not use opportunist mode for this kind of weapon xD Opportunist mode is intended for weapons with (very) limited ammo, where you prefer the weapon not to fire, if in doubt. Putting your "main guns" to Opportunist is probably not a great idea. Opportunist essentially walks through a list of questions and only if the answer to all of them is Yes, it will fire.

These questions are, in no particular order:
Is the damage type of the weapon effective against the target?
Is the target slow/close enough that it can't simply fly out of range while the projectile is traveling?
Is the target slow enough and/or the weapon tracking good enough that it can't easily dodge the shot laterally?
Can the weapon actually aim at the center of the enemy, rather than just any point within the hitbox?

You can make the Opportunist mode more "liberal" by adjusting the value of opportunist_triggerHappinessModifier in settings.editme. If you set this to e.g. 1.5, there will be a much greater chance that the answers to these questions will be yes, but I still wouldn't really recommend Opportunist for your main guns.

On the "weapons don't wait for the turret to turn properly before firing" issue (I can't find the post that mentioned this, but I'm pretty sure I read this somewhere):
That's a good point, I'm afraid I never really considered this. I actually noticed during testing that weapons very occasionally fire "into the void", but I always assumed that that was caused by the enemy abruptly changing its course (and therefore producing a mismatch between the predicted position and the actual position). But now I'm starting to think that this was the issue.
I'll look into it!
Edit: Ooops, nevermind. I think this issues wasn't brought up and when checking my code base I realized that, when deciding whether to fire or not, I am already using the current weapon angle rather than the target point. So yeah, don't know what kind of tricks my brain was playing on me here...

Thanks for bringing all these issues to my attention, I will do my best to try and fix them in the near-ish future. I have a little bit of time today, but given the amount of issues it will probably take me a little while to come up with fixes for all of them.
Since (rigorous) testing is actually the most time-consuming part of developing the mod (and I'm not really actively playing Starsector atm), I will probably put out a pre-release with these fixes again in hopes of crowd-sourcing some of the testing :P

PS: I think I might also rename Opportunist mode xD Maybe something like "Conservative" would be a better name.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 07:59:23 AM by DesperatePeter »

JamesBai03

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2021, 06:15:39 AM »

Thanks for your reply. I have tried both a hammerhead and a dominator as enemy targets, and have used both the avoid shield and opportunist firing mod. the weapon I fielded was HE weapons so I made sure to overload the targets with Kinect weapons so both target ships' shields were downed, but they just wont fire unless I pointed it directly toward the centre of enemy hull. It seems that the hitscan focus solely at the centre? This forces me to use only one of my two large slot weapon cuz Dominator weapon arc dont converge (but sufficiently accurate enough to hit any destroyer). The vanilla autofire AI seems to work just fine tho.
For the questions, the enemy's speeds fairly slow so neither the enemy speed or my weapon speed was the problem. It maybe because the enemy hull's centre is out of the weapon arc

Ive tried to change the triggerhappy setting in the setting file to 1.5, but that didnt help either.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 06:49:19 AM by JamesBai03 »

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2021, 10:00:56 AM »

Thanks for your reply. I have tried both a hammerhead and a dominator as enemy targets, and have used both the avoid shield and opportunist firing mod. the weapon I fielded was HE weapons so I made sure to overload the targets with Kinect weapons so both target ships' shields were downed, but they just wont fire unless I pointed it directly toward the centre of enemy hull. It seems that the hitscan focus solely at the centre? This forces me to use only one of my two large slot weapon cuz Dominator weapon arc dont converge (but sufficiently accurate enough to hit any destroyer). The vanilla autofire AI seems to work just fine tho.
For the questions, the enemy's speeds fairly slow so neither the enemy speed or my weapon speed was the problem. It maybe because the enemy hull's centre is out of the weapon arc

Ive tried to change the triggerhappy setting in the setting file to 1.5, but that didnt help either.

Thanks for the update!

Here are some updates on my current progress (0.10.4 pre-release).

I looked through the code and I think I actually found the issue!
When determining whether to fire or not, my logic properly considered the enemy "radius". However, when scanning for valid targets, it only considered ships whose center point was within the weapon's arc. Therefore, while the weapon probably would have fired at the enemy if it was considered a valid target, it never considered it to be a valid target. A very similar thing happened for weapon ranges. All weapon modes should now consider the enemy to be within range if part of the enemy is within range, i.e. all weapon modes should start firing slightly sooner.
Additionally, 25% of the projectile fadeout range is now considered for determining whether an enemy is in range or not.

I also discovered another issue:
When scanning for friendlies for friendly fire considerations, the code actually included the ship itself. Therefore, if a weapon was located near the center of the ship, the AI wouldn't fire because it was scared of hitting itself, which might explain why weapons would sometimes refuse to fire for no apparent reason. I also fixed that xD

Weapons should now assume a neutral position (facing as close to forward as the hardpoint allows) when there are no valid targets nearby.

Non-aimable weapons and weapons with tracking should now remain in neutral position and not try to aim at the enemy.

Regarding the friendly-fire issue and the missiles not respecting targeting restrictions issue, I haven't made any progress yet.
Hopefully I'll have some time for that next week.

Raitaki

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2021, 10:34:03 AM »

Were you in between your allied ship and an enemy? (In that case, it's probably an issue with the "do not fire at friendlies"-logic)
Or did the ship simply fire at your ship? (In that case, it's probably an issue with your ship being identified as a hostile for some weird reason)
This happens only when I'm in the way; friendlies don't start just firing at me for no reason, thank god. For what it's worth, the few times I've noticed this happen the offending friendly firers basically get close enough to ram me in the rear before lighting me up, so maybe it's some issue with friendlies being too close to the weapons being fired to be "seen"?

On the TargetShields/AvoidShields issue:
To be perfectly honest, I'm not really sure if I understand what the issue is. Weapons set to AvoidShields should only fire at targets that have a) high flux, b) high-ish flux and shields turned off or c) no shields. TargetShields does the inverse. If you have a kinetic weapon set to TargetShields and a non-beam Energy weapon, wouldn't it make more sense to simply set the Energy weapon to default mode? Other weapon groups set to Target/Avoid shields shouldn't really have any impact on how the weapon group in question behaves. If you could rephrase this issue that would be much appreciated!
Basically the problem is that with kinetic + energy damage pairings, the energy weapon is pretty much shelved. Unless the latter outranges the former, AI simply sticks to using the kinetic weapon instead even if the target is >95% flux or overloaded; it's extremely shy about using the energy weapon, only fires it for like 1-2s at a time and there's no rhyme or reason about when it decides to do so (I've seen a ship in 1v1 battle sim decide to fire an AvoidShield energy salvo at a 50% flux shield once).
I guess this isn't much of a problem in vanilla, but my array of mods does provide some energy-damage ballistic weapons and some kinetic-damage energy weapons, so the two damage types wind up occasionally coexisting sometimes--and on ships with too many/too big mounts for their flux stats to handle firing at will, I try to get them to pursue flux efficiency per damage via weapon groups, though as above success is limited when the pairing isn't kinetic-he.

Anyways, thank you for the hard work--I can only imagine how hard it is to herd AI behaviour in a many-entities environment like Starsector combat, especially with an unpredictable player in there running amok.

JamesBai03

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2021, 12:14:01 PM »

glad I could help. Another problem I encountered during using the custom AI is that it seems to disregard my lockon(r) and prioritize targets randomly, making concentrated fire difficult when there are multiple enemies present within range. Nonetheless, this mod is easily one of my favorites for its practicality. Thank you!

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2021, 03:34:30 AM »

This happens only when I'm in the way; friendlies don't start just firing at me for no reason, thank god. For what it's worth, the few times I've noticed this happen the offending friendly firers basically get close enough to ram me in the rear before lighting me up, so maybe it's some issue with friendlies being too close to the weapons being fired to be "seen"?

So, I did a little bit more testing/theorizing and I think I came up with an explanation. I think what mislead me at first was that I was focused so much on the changes I did in 0.10.3 that I didn't give enough thought to the possibility that this issue may have already existed before that. If my current theory is right, the problem was pretty much the same issue that JamesBai03 pointed out: The friendly ship was never considered as a viable "target" for friendly fire considerations, because the center of the friendly ship was not in the weapon's cone of fire. While the friendly fire prevention algorithm does correctly take the ship's radius into consideration, the algorithm that scans for friendlies did not. So, if my theory is correct, the last pre-release (0.10.4) should have "inadvertently" fixed the friendly fire issue. If you still encounter the issue using the latest pre-release version, please let me know. In that case, this theory is probably wrong :P

Basically the problem is that with kinetic + energy damage pairings, the energy weapon is pretty much shelved. Unless the latter outranges the former, AI simply sticks to using the kinetic weapon instead even if the target is >95% flux or overloaded; it's extremely shy about using the energy weapon, only fires it for like 1-2s at a time and there's no rhyme or reason about when it decides to do so (I've seen a ship in 1v1 battle sim decide to fire an AvoidShield energy salvo at a 50% flux shield once).
I guess this isn't much of a problem in vanilla, but my array of mods does provide some energy-damage ballistic weapons and some kinetic-damage energy weapons, so the two damage types wind up occasionally coexisting sometimes--and on ships with too many/too big mounts for their flux stats to handle firing at will, I try to get them to pursue flux efficiency per damage via weapon groups, though as above success is limited when the pairing isn't kinetic-he.

Hmm, that is very odd indeed. The thing is: While e.g. Opportunist does factor the damage type of the weapon into its calculations, Target/AvoidShields doesn't. That makes me fear that there is some deeper, more elusive, reason for that behavior. If we're super lucky, one of the issues I fixed in the last pre-release (friendly fire occasionally erroneously considering the firing ship's hitbox if the weapon is mounted near the center/rear of the ship or the erroneous target scanning) was actually the reason for this behavior and has already been fixed. If not, there's probably some weird glitch with the Target/AvoidShields modes that has escaped me so far.
So, again, if you could try using the newest version and let me know if the issues still persists, that would help me narrow down the cause of the problem!

Anyways, thank you for the hard work--I can only imagine how hard it is to herd AI behaviour in a many-entities environment like Starsector combat, especially with an unpredictable player in there running amok.

Thanks =) Yeah, unfortunately writing good AI* for complex games is very challenging. There's always stuff/situations you don't think about, things that actually behave differently than assumed, players/ships/mods doing unforeseen things etc. xD That's probably also the reason why most games don't have great AI^^
But as long as you guys keep giving me feedback on things that don't work, I might be able to improve things!

glad I could help. Another problem I encountered during using the custom AI is that it seems to disregard my lockon(r) and prioritize targets randomly, making concentrated fire difficult when there are multiple enemies present within range. Nonetheless, this mod is easily one of my favorites for its practicality. Thank you!

=) Glad to hear that you like it!

Yeah, this is a known issue. The funny thing is: It would be pretty easy to fix, but I'm not sure if that fix would actually make things better. I think I already tried to explain why this happens a while ago, but I'll try to do so again in a little more detail:
When a weapon is assigned a certain mode, that mode essentially does three things:
  • It defines what type of target (ships, missiles, fighters, frigates, cruisers, ...) are valid targets. The initial step of acquiring a target is to get all objects within range of the weapon and then to filter out anything that's not valid due to its type.
  • Then it assigns a priority to all remaining targets. That priority is a number between 0.0 and infinity. For reasons that are not important here, 0.0 is the highest possible priority, inf is the lowest possible priority. Let's call that number the priority value. If a target is marked as the ship target (via R-Key) that will significantly (factor 100) lower the assigned priority value (i.e. make it a much more attractive target). However, if the target does not match the criteria of the mode (e.g. an enemy with 10% flux and active shields for AvoidShields), its priority value will be set to inf.
  • Lastly, the target with the lowest priority number will be selected and the mode will evaluate whether to fire or not.

I believe what is happening here is the following:
You select an enemy as the ship target. However, the weapon in question is set to a mode that doesn't consider that target to be "attractive" for some reason. Therefore, that target's priority value is inf/very high (divided by 100, which is still inf/fairly high) and the weapon will instead fire at another target.
The obvious fix for this would be to simply set the priority to 0.0 (rather than dividing by 100) when you mark an enemy as ship target. But that would usually just lead to the weapon not firing at all (because the selected target is probably not valid for the selected mode). In some cases, that might be what you want. In other cases (such as e.g. a Devastator Cannon which has been set to SmallShips mode), it might lead to the weapon not doing its job (i.e. killing fighters/frigates) as soon as you set a ship target.

If you have reason to believe that this is not what's happening or have an idea on how to solve this issue sensibly within the given frame, please do let me know!
Edit: I could absolutely add a setting for this, that way people could choose which behavior they prefer.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 04:15:16 AM by DesperatePeter »

renegade_sock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2021, 06:43:46 PM »

I made an account just to thank you for making this amazing mod!

You inspired me to load up Intellij and see if I'd be able to make some additions to your mod, but I think this is all a bit above my skill level unfortunately.

I was hoping to add an option to customise values for individual ships, e.g.:

- Vent(Flux > ___) where (safetyFactor = ___)
- PD(Flux > ___)
- ConserveAmmo where (ammo < ___)
- TargetShields where (shields > ___) or (flux > ___)
- etc

I was also hoping to add a mode that forced a weapon group to only fire simultaneously (e.g. for salamanders, tachyon beams, etc)

I understand this would be a substantial task though and would involve a significant change to the UI.

I look forward to your possible addition of geometric analysis of shield facing!

EDIT: I just noticed that the big and small ships options needed to be enabled manually. It looks very cool but I was hoping it would allow targeting of all ships and just prioritise based on size. Would it be possible to add this as an alternative mode that is disabled by default?

EDIT2: Actually if you'd be cool with it, I could probably add the following in a PR:

- BigShipAIAlternative mode that is the same as your BigShipAI mode except that it doesn't disable targeting of smaller ships. Disabled by default
- SmallShipAIAlternative mode that is the same as your SmalShipAI mode except that it doesn't disable targeting of larger ships. Disabled by default
- SimultaneousFire mode (not sure if it would be a mode or suffix yet) that would only allow a weapon group to fire if all weapons can fire simultaneously. Disabled by default.

I think your mod has so much potential for all kinds of really cool things!

« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 07:27:38 PM by renegade_sock »

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2021, 08:24:52 AM »

I made an account just to thank you for making this amazing mod!

You inspired me to load up Intellij and see if I'd be able to make some additions to your mod, but I think this is all a bit above my skill level unfortunately.

I was hoping to add an option to customise values for individual ships, e.g.:

- Vent(Flux > ___) where (safetyFactor = ___)
- PD(Flux > ___)
- ConserveAmmo where (ammo < ___)
- TargetShields where (shields > ___) or (flux > ___)
- etc

I was also hoping to add a mode that forced a weapon group to only fire simultaneously (e.g. for salamanders, tachyon beams, etc)

I understand this would be a substantial task though and would involve a significant change to the UI.

I look forward to your possible addition of geometric analysis of shield facing!

EDIT: I just noticed that the big and small ships options needed to be enabled manually. It looks very cool but I was hoping it would allow targeting of all ships and just prioritise based on size. Would it be possible to add this as an alternative mode that is disabled by default?

EDIT2: Actually if you'd be cool with it, I could probably add the following in a PR:

- BigShipAIAlternative mode that is the same as your BigShipAI mode except that it doesn't disable targeting of smaller ships. Disabled by default
- SmallShipAIAlternative mode that is the same as your SmalShipAI mode except that it doesn't disable targeting of larger ships. Disabled by default
- SimultaneousFire mode (not sure if it would be a mode or suffix yet) that would only allow a weapon group to fire if all weapons can fire simultaneously. Disabled by default.

I think your mod has so much potential for all kinds of really cool things!

Thanks, I appreciate the nice feedback! =)

About your suggestions:

• Customized thresholds by ship (type) should - in theory - be doable, but would be a bit of work. The big problem I see with this is the UI. I can't, off the top of my hat, think of a way to implement a UI for this within Starsector that is remotely user-friendly. So, probably not gonna happen =/ If you have an idea, do tell! (Or implement it and open a PR :P)
  • BigShipAIAlternative and SimultaneousFire sound great, by all means please do create a PR!

Nalesh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2022, 04:32:02 PM »

Any chance of adding a thing for the ship to act like it has a specific type of missile on board? Like you know how ships get real aggressive when they have annihilator pods, or when they get annoyingly timid when they have strike range missiles like pilums? Probably not that big of a problem in vanilla but in modded I've often felt annoyed at how some ships just don't wanna get in range of their main weapons as much.

Stargazer86

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2022, 03:46:42 PM »

Hey, logged in to post my thanks for this mod! But I was also wondering whether there could be an option to, say, target shields AND ignore fighters? When I target an enemy ship often times my anti-shield guns ignore my targeting orders and instead shoot at the various annoying fighters flying around. The guns on my ship also spread fire a lot, again ignoring my R targeting orders and instead fire and whatever ship they want to.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2022, 01:35:24 PM »

Hiya sir!!! Any update to the mod yet?:) Thank you very much in advance!

Stargazer86

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2022, 02:37:51 PM »

I've also been noticing issues with AI targeting choice. The AI seems to wholly ignore when I R select a target and, instead of concentrating fire on it, will instead pick whatever targets it believes is "best" for the chosen firing mode.

For example, I just had a Conquest rushing me down. I turn to face it, use R to select it, but my anti-shield guns instead turn to fire at other ships around me. It was really starting to trigger me something fierce until I just put every single gun back to its default state. THEN the autofire AI finally obeyed my target selection.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21