Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: [0.97a] AdvancedGunneryControl 1.17.0 - Updated for 0.97a  (Read 179664 times)

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] AdvancedGunneryControl 1.8.0 - new GUI enhancements!
« Reply #210 on: April 17, 2023, 10:38:47 AM »

Had a CTD. Finished a battle, chose to pursue the leftovers. My captain didn't participate; I used fast frigates. Chose to watch it play out instead of auto-resolve. While following (F) an officer-piloted ship, I pressed (J) to see if I could check their gunnery control setup. Pressing (J) caused an immediate CTD. There was a "cannot be null" error; I can't remember which one but it seemed like it crashed due to my trying to access gunnery controls while selecting a ship but not controlling it.

I can probably easily recreate it if you need the error details.

Thanks for letting me know! Unsurprisingly, it turned out I had forgotten a nullpointer check. I fixed the issue and released a hotfixed version: 1.8.0hotfix

OperaWolf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2023, 12:15:24 AM »

Thanks for letting me know! Unsurprisingly, it turned out I had forgotten a nullpointer check. I fixed the issue and released a hotfixed version: 1.8.0hotfix

Thank you for the update. And thank you for the mod; it feels so integral to the game now, I'm surprised it isn't vanilla.

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2023, 11:01:39 PM »

Thank you for the update. And thank you for the mod; it feels so integral to the game now, I'm surprised it isn't vanilla.
You are very welcome! =)

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] AdvancedGunneryControl 1.9.0 - new GUI enhancements!
« Reply #213 on: May 06, 2023, 04:13:55 AM »

I just released a new version (1.9.0). It's mostly a compatibility update for starsector version 0.96a. Please note that you will also need to update MagicLib to 1.0.0 (and probably LazyLib to 2.8 ).

Furthermore, I have a few questions for all of you:
What do you think of the current state of the mod regarding usability/UX?

As you might have noticed, the previous ~3 patches focused mainly on improving usability (tag scrollbar, weapon highlighting, simple/advanced mode, modular ship persistence, campaign GUI dynamic option texts).
Are there any usability improvements you can think of that could help?
Do you think that the tooltips are (mostly) understandable and helpful? If not, which ones do you think need reworking?

Here are some ideas I had myself (and why I haven't implemented them):
  • I know that a refit-screen integration would be much better than a campaign-GUI, but as far as I can tell that's not currently feasible.
  • Re-introducing a keyboard shortcut for cycling loadouts. Though I personally rarely ever cycle loadouts and kind of feel like very few users do.
  • Replacing the settings.editme file with a LunarLib-integration to allow for editing settings in-game. I haven't really looked at LunarLib in detail so far, so not 100% sure if that would be possible.
  • Making the GUIs prettier. The main problem here is that I'm kind of bad at design and feel like the current GUIs might not be pretty, but are fairly functional.
  • Creating a more in-depth explanation video. As I am very inexperienced with video-recording and editing, this would be quite a bit of work, though.

Let me know what you think!

Tested it again just now, still the same as before.
That is so weird. I now tested it on both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 22.04, using both manual memory measurement and a profiling tool (the latter only on Ubuntu) with both JRE7 and JRE8, letting the game run with the GUI open for several hours. I was never able to observe a significant* increase in memory usage (though I did notice a scary, albeit stable, amount of Color-objects allocated in memory :P). Could you maybe provide additional details about your OS, other mods you are using etc.? I assume you already tried increasing the amount of memory in the vmparams (windows) or launch-script (linux/mac)? Does the issue also occur with no other mods enabled? Has anyone else per chance encountered issues with memory usage going up when leaving the in-combat-GUI open for extended periods of time? Thanks in advance for any additional input on this topic!

*memory usage did usually increase by a few megabytes during the first few minutes, but quickly reached a stable plateau. As far as I can tell, that kind of behavior is to be expected of Java applications.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 07:17:38 AM by DesperatePeter »

tantananan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 06, 2023, 05:32:14 AM »

Does this not work in the missions? I'm trying to press J and it's not popping up.

memeextremist

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 06, 2023, 05:42:47 AM »

very cool mod! haven't seen it before but definitely grabbing it. thanks o7

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 06, 2023, 06:26:25 AM »

Does this not work in the missions? I'm trying to press J and it's not popping up.
It definitely should! I just tried it and it seems to work fine. As soon as you start the mission and are in the combat screen, pressing the J-Key should bring up the GUI.
The campaign-map-GUI is not available, since there is no campaign-map for missions.
If it still doesn't work: Does it work in a regular campaign? If not, could you maybe the the starsector log for clues if something has gone wrong?

very cool mod! haven't seen it before but definitely grabbing it. thanks o7
Glad you like it, hope you enjoy both AGC and the new patch! =)

memeextremist

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 06, 2023, 07:21:30 AM »

tyty! hope you have a good time with the new patch as well o7

Princess_of_Evil

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 06, 2023, 08:11:40 AM »

Defaults per-weapon would be nice. I have a habit of using some small and medium weapons in ways they aren't quite supposed to be, like AA railguns.
Proof that you don't need to know any languages to translate, you just need to care.

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 07, 2023, 01:55:24 AM »

Defaults per-weapon would be nice. I have a habit of using some small and medium weapons in ways they aren't quite supposed to be, like AA railguns.

I like that idea!
Manually setting up tags on big fleets can be somewhat tedious.
One could argue that it's already kind of in the mod via suggested modes, though to be fair from a user-perspective the feature is a little bit obscure (at least customizing it).

Let's start off by exploring the status quo:
As of now, there is a file called modSettings.json in the folder data/config (github link).
In that file, there is a list of weapons with suggested tags for them. Some mods (off the top of my hat I know that Iron Shell does this, but I believe most mods don't) include similar lists in their modSettings, allowing weapons from their mods to receive tags this way.
When you click on the button "Suggested" in the in-combat GUI, those tags get applied to weapon groups. Alternatively, in the campaign-GUI, you can hold the SHIFT-key and click "Apply suggested modes" to apply those tags for all weapon groups for your entire fleet.
Now, as a user of the mod you can obviously go into the mod-folder and open the modSettings.json in an editor of your choice and adjust the suggested tags to fit your preferences.
So, technically speaking at least, I believe that there is already support for default modes.

Let's explore how this could become more user-friendly:
I feel like the first step here would need to be to implement some way for users to customize suggested tags without having to browse through the mod folder and editing json-files.

The first idea would be to simply add a button that saves the currently set tags as suggested tags. This would be relatively simple to implement (I think) and probably fairly easy to use at first, but I feel like it might get confusing pretty fast, because there would be no way to optically verify which weapon type currently has which suggested tags.

So the next idea would be to implement some kind of GUI that lists all weapons available in the game and let's you set up suggested tags in a similar way to how you currently set up weapon groups for ships. This would be considerably more effort to implement and potentially slightly less convenient for the user in the short term (since you have to go to a different GUI for this), but probably be more convenient in the long term. Of course, these two options aren't mutually exclusive.

Last but not least, there should probably be an option to automatically apply suggested tags without having to press a button (ideally as an in-campaign option, similar to simple/advanced mode).

I'll try to have a look to figure out how much of this is feasible. In the meantime, please let me know what you think!

Edit: Note that for the current solution (modSettings.json), it is possible to use regular expressions. So, for instance, if you see ".*flak", that means "all weapons where the ID ends with flak, i.e. dual and single flak.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 01:58:17 AM by DesperatePeter »

tantananan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 07, 2023, 04:17:01 AM »

I figured it out. i was using the Run Simulation inside the Refit screen of the missions, which doesn't work with the mod. But the regular Play Mission works. Thanks!

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 07, 2023, 12:12:38 PM »

I figured it out. i was using the Run Simulation inside the Refit screen of the missions, which doesn't work with the mod. But the regular Play Mission works. Thanks!
Ahhh, that makes sense, thanks for the update! The refit screen within a mission is (for some reason) classified as being on the title screen. Since the (normal) title screen uses the combat engine, I check for being on the title screen and disable the GUI in that case.
But I actually think that this is for the better in this case, since the fleet member IDs for ships on the refit screen are not the same as the ones of the actual ships in the mission, i.e. any modes set in that refit screen would get lost as soon as you leave the simulation.

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 08, 2023, 09:54:27 AM »

1.10.0 is out (flagged as pre-release due to insufficient testing as of yet).
It implements the previously discussed option for customizing suggested tags alongside an option to automatically apply them.
Let me know what you think!

Tito

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 09, 2023, 12:09:03 AM »

12233038 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 5, Size: 5
java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 5, Size: 5
   at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(ArrayList.java:659)
   at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:435)
   at com.dp.advancedgunnerycontrol.combatgui.agccombatgui.WeaponGroupAction.onHover(WeaponGroupAction.kt:24)
   at com.dp.advancedgunnerycontrol.combatgui.GuiBase$addButtonGroup$group$1.onHover(GuiBase.kt:93)
   at com.dp.advancedgunnerycontrol.combatgui.buttongroups.DataButtonGroup.advance(DataButtonGroup.kt:85)
   at com.dp.advancedgunnerycontrol.combatgui.GuiBase.advance(GuiBase.kt:179)
   at com.dp.advancedgunnerycontrol.combatgui.agccombatgui.AGCCombatGui.advance(AGCCombatGui.kt:158)
   at com.dp.advancedgunnerycontrol.WeaponControlPlugin.advance(WeaponControlPlugin.kt:51)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.Object.L$Oo.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.A.new.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advanceInner(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Got this when trying to add a tag to a weapon which i think was of LouLan mod on a ship of the same mod.

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 09, 2023, 05:39:18 AM »

12233038 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 5, Size: 5
java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 5, Size: 5
   at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(ArrayList.java:659)
   at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:435)
   at com.dp.advancedgunnerycontrol.combatgui.agccombatgui.WeaponGroupAction.onHover(WeaponGroupAction.kt:24)
   at com.dp.advancedgunnerycontrol.combatgui.GuiBase$addButtonGroup$group$1.onHover(GuiBase.kt:93)
   at com.dp.advancedgunnerycontrol.combatgui.buttongroups.DataButtonGroup.advance(DataButtonGroup.kt:85)
   at com.dp.advancedgunnerycontrol.combatgui.GuiBase.advance(GuiBase.kt:179)
   at com.dp.advancedgunnerycontrol.combatgui.agccombatgui.AGCCombatGui.advance(AGCCombatGui.kt:158)
   at com.dp.advancedgunnerycontrol.WeaponControlPlugin.advance(WeaponControlPlugin.kt:51)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.Object.L$Oo.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.A.new.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advanceInner(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Got this when trying to add a tag to a weapon which i think was of LouLan mod on a ship of the same mod.
Thanks for letting me know!
To be 100% honest, I have no idea, why it is possible for this to happen, but I released a a fix (1.10.1), where I do an out-of-bounds-check before accessing the array, so that should fix it.
That fix also fixes the SpamSystem ship-mode and adds documentation for the TargetPhase tag (both were added in 1.10.0 but I kind of forgot about them xD).
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21