Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21

Author Topic: [0.97a] AdvancedGunneryControl 1.17.0 - Updated for 0.97a  (Read 178024 times)

Anduin1357

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Would it be possible to add a force-reload whenever orders are given? It seems like whenever the AI gets an order, ForceAF breaks and they possibly use vanilla-style targeting?

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile

Would it be possible to add a force-reload whenever orders are given? It seems like whenever the AI gets an order, ForceAF breaks and they possibly use vanilla-style targeting?
Thanks for the report!
I looked into it, however, I could only reproduce the issue for the player controlled ship when using autopilot.
For AI-controlled ships, giving them commands doesn't seem to mess with their ship AI modes.
Does this happen for all ships, or only the player controlled ship?

As the help-tooltip details, ship AI modes aren't really intended for the player controlled ship.
But I suppose I could implement something that checks every (couple of) frame(s) if the player controlled ship still has its custom AI in place or if it has been replaced (through receiving a command). That would be easier than having to check if a command has been given to the ship, since there is no command listener.

Alternatively, you could simply give all weapon groups the ForceAF-tag, that should work on the player-controlled ship even through commands.

So please let me know if this happens to all ships or only

Anduin1357

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I used to check auto-fire on other ships by command transfer but now that I notice that you can see the auto-fire from targeting, yeah, it only happens on transfer (player control) like you said.

It would actually be nice to have Advanced Gunnery play in tandem with the player with a player-present loadout where select weapon groups can be force-AF

Also also, having a less strict PD mode would be nice since energy PD actually contributes surprisingly well against other ships and it's better to have them spray into the enemy ship instead of waiting to shoot fighters and missiles.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 08:37:15 AM by Anduin1357 »

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile

I used to check auto-fire on other ships by command transfer but now that I notice that you can see the auto-fire from targeting, yeah, it only happens on transfer (player control) like you said.

It would actually be nice to have Advanced Gunnery play in tandem with the player with a player-present loadout where select weapon groups can be force-AF

Also also, having a less strict PD mode would be nice since energy PD actually contributes surprisingly well against other ships and it's better to have them spray into the enemy ship instead of waiting to shoot fighters and missiles.

Thanks for the clarification!

Oh, I actually didn't take transferring control into consideration. That settles it, I'll simply add in an option to periodically reload ship modes as necessary, that should fix any problems like this!

What would a less strict PD mode look like? There is already the PD(Flx>N%) option if that's what you're looking for. If you simply want the weapon to prioritize missiles (and fighters) over ships, PD weapons should do that by default without needing any tags at all.
The PD-tag is mainly intended for PD weapons that either have a high flux cost to fire (such as e.g. dual flak) or limited ammo (such as e.g. Bust PD lasers), where you don't want to waste ammo/flux on shots that are unlikely to do much against enemy ships.

For weapons such as the machine gun, I'd recommend simply not giving them the PD tag.

If you mean something else by "a less strict PD tag", please clarify =)

Anduin1357

• Ensign
    • View Profile

The PD-tag is mainly intended for PD weapons that either have a high flux cost to fire (such as e.g. dual flak) or limited ammo (such as e.g. Bust PD lasers), where you don't want to waste ammo/flux on shots that are unlikely to do much against enemy ships.

For weapons such as the machine gun, I'd recommend simply not giving them the PD tag.

If you mean something else by "a less strict PD tag", please clarify =)

Actually stuff like the machine gun can deal a lot of hull damage on ships with stripped armour, which could be a mode (target hull).

The energy PD that I do have is actually rather good at suppressing shields and is kind of like the machine gun with lots of charges (400) and like all energy weapons, does 1x damage to anything. They actually do better than some of my late-game light fighters damage-wise, but would wish they focused more on their PD job without giving up on ships.

NotBox1

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Have a good trip.

In the mean time Ill just leave this here, Is it possible if you could include modular ship support. My game just crashes when I try to open open a modular ship in the AGC menu (could just be a me bug).

Maybe it depends on the exact type of modular ships?
Which mod and hulltype were you using?
Could you maybe post the trace (the last couple lines of starsector.log located in Starsector/[starsector-core/]) of the crash?

Yeah you're right it I went to test other modular ships and it worked fine.

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile

Actually stuff like the machine gun can deal a lot of hull damage on ships with stripped armour, which could be a mode (target hull).

That's what the AvoidArmor-tag is fore =)
To achieve TargetHull, simply combine AvoidShields and AvoidArmor (though for a machinegun, adding AvoidShields is kind of counter-productive)
Note that the AvoidArmor-tag is currently somewhat unreliable, I am working on improving it right now.

The energy PD that I do have is actually rather good at suppressing shields and is kind of like the machine gun with lots of charges (400) and like all energy weapons, does 1x damage to anything. They actually do better than some of my late-game light fighters damage-wise, but would wish they focused more on their PD job without giving up on ships.

Weird, my understanding was that PD-weapons will always prioritize missiles/fighters over ships by default (maybe unless you manually target an enemy ship via R-Key). Is this a PD_ALSO weapon (as per weapon-tags in weapon_data.csv)? Does it actually prioritize ships over missiles/fighters?
If that is the case, I suppose it would be easy enough to make a PrioritizePD-tag, that doesn't forbid shooting ships, but heavily prioritizes missiles/fighters.

Maybe it depends on the exact type of modular ships?
Which mod and hulltype were you using?
Could you maybe post the trace (the last couple lines of starsector.log located in Starsector/[starsector-core/]) of the crash?

Yeah you're right it I went to test other modular ships and it worked fine.

Weird indeed....
If that issue ever pops up again, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know which ship exactly caused it and attach a copy of the starsector.log-file.

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile

1.4.1 is out.

It fixes the AvoidArmor-tag and addresses the issue with ships losing their ship modes when transferring control, toggling autopilot or giving orders to the player controlled ship. (They will still lose modes for a split second before the get reapplied, since checking every frame seems unnecessarily CPU-hungry.)

Jang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Just curious, does the mode-check still happen if the ship is set to the default mode?

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile

Just curious, does the mode-check still happen if the ship is set to the default mode?

The check technically happens for all player fleet ships, but if the ship-mode is set to default or no ship-modes are selected (which is essentially the same thing), the ShipAI won't be modified:
code

Note that, when using the ForceAF or Panic tags on a weapon group, those might decide to assign a custom ship AI independent of this check.

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile

1.5.0 is out, it mainly adds the AvoidPhased tag and some small tweaks & fixes.

I'd say, for now at least, this mod is pretty much done. I don't really plan to add any more features, unless someone suggests a good feature.

I will of course still fix reported bugs.

BreenBB

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] AdvancedGunneryControl 1.5.0 - new flashy combat GUI and tag system!
« Reply #161 on: September 01, 2022, 10:38:52 AM »

I found bug, game will crash if you press J button in battle if you didn't deployed a flagship. (a ship with player character)

Also interesting, how I can force AI use missiles more often? There is two problems in vanilla, some ships have side-facing weapon hardpoints which can't look forward, and there is some missiles AI only fire if it can aim them at enemy, despite being homing. Another issue, AI very conservative about missiles, and uses them very rarely, some ships like vanilla Guardian and some mod ships have hullmod which reloads even non-reloadable missiles, I'd like to force AI to freely use missiles on such ships without conserving them at all.

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] AdvancedGunneryControl 1.5.0 - new flashy combat GUI and tag system!
« Reply #162 on: September 03, 2022, 02:24:01 AM »

I just released 1.6.0. It adds two new tags (Range<N% and ShipTarget), fixes two issues (crash when no flagship deployed, weapon charge-up-time is now considered when computing projectile time to travel), tunes some values in the default settings and splits the combat GUI into a library and implementation. This means other mod authors can now use it to create their own combat GUIs (cf. readme).

I found bug, game will crash if you press J button in battle if you didn't deployed a flagship. (a ship with player character)
Thanks for letting me know, fixed it! Turns out, when you have no flagship deployed, an invisible command shuttle gets deployed and that doesn't have a fleetMember ID.

Also interesting, how I can force AI use missiles more often? There is two problems in vanilla, some ships have side-facing weapon hardpoints which can't look forward, and there is some missiles AI only fire if it can aim them at enemy, despite being homing. Another issue, AI very conservative about missiles, and uses them very rarely, some ships like vanilla Guardian and some mod ships have hullmod which reloads even non-reloadable missiles, I'd like to force AI to freely use missiles on such ships without conserving them at all.
The ForceAF-tag should get the job done. It will force the AI to set the weapon group to autofire.
If you just want the AI to just spam those missiles, that should do the trick.
If you want the AI to use at least some moderation, consider combining it with other tags such as e.g. ShipTarget, AvoidShields, ...

Jang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] AdvancedGunneryControl 1.6.0 - new flashy combat GUI and tag system!
« Reply #163 on: September 03, 2022, 11:27:01 AM »

I'm really liking the new ShipTarget tag for the purpose mentioned in its tooltip. Thanks for the update

Catscrath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] AdvancedGunneryControl 1.6.0 - new flashy combat GUI and tag system!
« Reply #164 on: September 08, 2022, 07:05:03 PM »

Is there any way to have it so guns try to overflux enemy shields instead of just bringing them to 85%? I remember that in the old mod that there were "Avoid Armor" and "Avoid Shields" settings so they would try to chew through what they were good at, popping shields and stripping armor.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21