Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ideas for faction mod?  (Read 1890 times)

ThePinkPanzer

• Commander
  • Professional accidentaly rude person
    • View Profile
Ideas for faction mod?
« on: April 24, 2021, 12:19:45 PM »

Been wanting to actually release a mod for years after first tinkering with the tools before we even had other sectors. Finally plan on dedicating some time to it soon but my problem is I'm not a crunch person, I like my lore more. So I can't really tell you the intricacies of all the factions I've downloaded from other modders and I can't really say what's been done before.

So I'm mostly just looking for any ideas on what specific niches in factions haven't been explored yet. Wanted to just make a small faction with a very tight theme, so I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Nameless

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for faction mod?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 12:26:12 PM »

Alien theme comes to mind.

ThePinkPanzer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 01:02:35 PM »

Might be neat, but I meant more specifically like, combat niche. Rocket heavy, fighter heavy, capital ship focus, fragile glass cannons, etc.

Nameless

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 01:57:47 PM »

PERSONALLY i'd love to have more missile focus ships!

Piponic_

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 02:26:21 PM »

Here's an idea
A faction of hit-mans or mercenaries that focuses on pure speed for the purpose of quick assassination of the target and retreat.
Golden ships, very high speed, maneuverability and burn level but poor hull, armor and shield efficiency, also a built in hullmod that debuffs all non-limited ammo weapons mounted on the ships.
the gameplay with the faction should be quick battles where you or the enemy AI using the faction retreats to reload the weapons after using all the ammo and re-engage.

Lord Sputnik

• Commander
  • "One Of Ours, Sir!" = Best ship name ever...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 03:11:34 PM »

I made a ship (frigate) that IS the weapon... but it's a little too powerful at the moment as it can solo 3 Paragons if not more...
ZeroGman

Self-proclaimed lord of Eos, lord of Magec, and lord of the dance.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 03:17:19 PM »

I made a ship (frigate) that IS the weapon... but it's a little too powerful at the moment as it can solo 3 Paragons if not more...

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 03:26:21 PM »

If I'm not mistaken Mayasuran Navy has a ship with fighter bay that doesn't use normal fighter instead they use frigate. And HMI has a weapon that literally a mining frigate (or a fighter?) that get converted into weapon haphazardly jury-rigged into weapon mount.

Mayasuran Navy
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=13239.0
Hazard Mining Incorporated
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=13236.0
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 03:49:08 PM »

I personally want a faction similar like HMI in concept, but more offensive, using a jury-rigged ship that produces the highest damage output of their class with a built-in weapon with one big downside, their ship cannot be recovered no matter what, their ship is not built to last, their purpose is just to hit hard and hit fast.

And maybe throw campaign mechanic as well like need a lot of crew, can't stand hyperspace storm and corona, but cheap and really fast to repair plus recovering CR, encouraging players to keep going from combat to combat.

They can be high tech, midline, low tech or even better, an amalgamation of the three to produce the highest damage possible. Will this faction make sense? Maybe not, they probably tear apart the lore and annoying to deal with if you got the short end of the stick, heh.

But they probably fun to play with Iron Mode.
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

ThePinkPanzer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 07:09:15 PM »

Sounds cool! A bit too advanced for my first, but deff will keep in mind.

I think I'm going to merge the first two ideas and have a highly missile based rapid attack faction of drugged up nomad pirates who regularly do dirty for cash. They'll be similar to the Luddite's suicidal attacks but focus on ramming you in the back with junkers, unloading a torpedo stockpile and then blasting off at mach five to get away since they hardly have shields or armor.

Perhaps they'll even have reloading missile racks on their more advanced ships, and at the very high end they'll also field some artillery to back them up that effectively serves as a Katyusha with an engine strapped to the back.

If anyone has more ideas feel free to drop them! If When I make this faction I'll surely want to do more. The only other mod I have planned is one that adds radio audio (like Homeworld) when you fly close to ships. I want to do a faction mod first since it's so much more documented, then see if I know enough to do that. After that? More factions probably.

Thanks again!

Lord Sputnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2021, 11:03:50 PM »

Where does one get this magical ship?
ZeroGman

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2021, 06:44:57 AM »

Where does one get this magical ship?
I haven't tried it in 0.95 yet. I'll bet it doesn't even work anymore.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xIybl2OYOh3z1xMG_cB0I9e8nwBrdOdc/view?usp=sharing

bolitboy1

• Ensign
  • Bababouy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2021, 10:18:56 AM »

a faction of cats, and make them hate everyone, and make there ships something to be afraid of, i want all there ships even the small ships to feel like a raid boss to put terror into the cosmos

and so i can see dumb cat names kill my troops, JIMMY: dont worry, i go.. CAT KILLED JIMMY                                          CAPN CAPN GREG HULL 70%                               GREG: CAN I GET SOME HELP                   CAT KILLED CAPN GREG                             GENRAL PEPPER: YOU CAN TAKE MY LIFE BUT NOT MY FRE.... CAT KILLED GENRAL PEPPER
"ok, who use the toilet to fix the reactor again?"

the lord of a square, king of a junkyard

Lord Sputnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 03:15:17 PM »

a faction of cats, and make them hate everyone, and make there ships something to be afraid of, i want all there ships even the small ships to feel like a raid boss to put terror into the cosmos

and so i can see dumb cat names kill my troops, JIMMY: dont worry, i go.. CAT KILLED JIMMY                                          CAPN CAPN GREG HULL 70%                               GREG: CAN I GET SOME HELP                   CAT KILLED CAPN GREG                             GENRAL PEPPER: YOU CAN TAKE MY LIFE BUT NOT MY FRE.... CAT KILLED GENRAL PEPPER
If I can get my mod working, I'll make another one with cats.  They'll have a frigate, a destroyer, and a huge capital that looks like a Maneki-neko and shoots giant cold goins.
ZeroGman

bolitboy1

• Ensign
  • Bababouy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2021, 05:53:05 PM »

If I can get my mod working, I'll make another one with cats.  They'll have a frigate, a destroyer, and a huge capital that looks like a Maneki-neko and shoots giant cold goins.
sir, you have just made a good ideal into the perfect ideal, just charging into battle and giant coins just snipe half of your ships
"ok, who use the toilet to fix the reactor again?"

the lord of a square, king of a junkyard
Pages: [1] 2