Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Frequently travelled routes clear up hyperspace clouds  (Read 1017 times)

dartwaffle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Frequently travelled routes clear up hyperspace clouds
« on: April 24, 2021, 12:34:07 AM »

I haven't been able to find a similar suggestion anywhere, but having the hyperspace clouds clear up as it was travelled would not only be incredibly useful, but would also look fantastic. Nobody enjoys trying to dodge the clouds after the first couple of times, and it's ended up killing me a few times while coming back from a mission. Another thing is it would make sense imo, assuming the clouds were actual clouds, though I'm not sure about the lore with them.

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
Re: Frequently travelled routes clear up hyperspace clouds
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 07:14:37 AM »

A bit lore breaking, but maybe there could be a stable location structure that helps clear out storms?

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 07:38:05 AM »

Something worthwhile could be to make solar shielding provide 100% protection vs hyperspace clouds, or even make a separate ship mod (a skill would be too powerful and convenient I think).

While the mod might also sound overpowered, I think taking one logistic slot on every single ship of your fleet deserves that much convenience, you surrender cargo space, speed and efficiency all for avoiding boredom.
What's more, you could lock that mod behind a special mission like the red planet, so that in order to get it you have to travel the edges of the sector the good ol' fashioned way.

While I really like the "leaving a trail" idea, it would probably be rather difficult to implement.
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 01:09:09 PM »

Hyperspace clouds are boring "keep player busy" mechanic atm. While I agree there should be something happening and scenery to look at while going through hyperspace and storms are pretty cool visually and audibly, the way they are a huge annoyance is meh. I mean yes, using them to boost is fun, for the first hundred hours.

Maybe like OP said, maybe make all stars create pathways of non hyper storms that the AI also uses.

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 01:35:14 PM »

Worst part is radar colors and map colors (not talking about starscape) don't really give you info about detailed cloud placement, only their approximate density. So you're forced to memorize the actual hyperspace map through playing if you want to avoid clouds completely.

dartwaffle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 07:54:13 PM »

Hyperspace clouds are boring "keep player busy" mechanic atm. While I agree there should be something happening and scenery to look at while going through hyperspace and storms are pretty cool visually and audibly, the way they are a huge annoyance is meh. I mean yes, using them to boost is fun, for the first hundred hours.

Maybe like OP said, maybe make all stars create pathways of non hyper storms that the AI also uses.

The idea was moreso travelling through clouds slowly dissipate the actual cloud, so you're able to see the paths most travelled. Imo it would feel a bit more lively just seeing paths from system to system that the AI created.