Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Offcial Integration of Nex as a seperate gamemode for SS upon future release?  (Read 1914 times)

Flacman3000

• Commander
  • A man cannot put his shaft into the unknown.
    • View Profile

Has there ever been an idea to seamlessly integrate officially Nex into Starsector? Was it well received? Does Alex love the mod or see it as a detriment to the game direction? Is Histidine open to this idea? How would this work as I haven't heard of any mod being officially integrated! Pardon my ignorance but I wanted to know how this can be integrated or otherwise not. It seems to be a rather popular mod (understatement).
Ryzen 7 2700x, 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM and playing SS on a SSD - Always stay ahead because when you're ahead you're rear anatomy is open to interpretation.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile

My understanding and thoughts on the subject:
  • The high-profile features of Nex (invasions and diplomacy, specifically) specifically take Starsector in a 4X direction that Alex has said he doesn't want to take the game. So if Nex ever gets "officialized", it'd be as an expansion or such (pretty unlikely outcome). More probably, it'd stay as a mod, with the 4X implementation details (and the development work) up to the modder(s).
  • That said, there are a lot of smaller features that I think could be readily incorporated in the base game without changing its direction, and would be nice to have. Stuff like agents, aid packages to stabilize NPC colonies, custom start options, even the little interactions that can happen at decivilized worlds you find while exploring.
  • Alex, if you ever notice me senpai want to take part or all of my mods, feel free! Most of it is MIT license or CC0, and I think all of it is free software (and anything that isn't should be readily replaceable).

Flacman3000

• Commander
    • View Profile

I hope you know how much of a genius you are my friend! Your work done on Nex is a godsend for me and many others and I mean many! Yes, I can see how this can just give too much for Alex to bear if he has to update a separate game mode itself let alone an expansion. I suppose any discussion, for now, would likely be based on speculation! There is no doubt in my mind Alex understands the popularity of Nex it truly makes SS a massive sandbox for me. It was the reason for the initial purchase! Capturing the 4X audience would absolutely explode starsectors potential. In all my time I have not seen a space game this in-depth and filled with action that has smart writing and execution let alone without Nex.

I do hope some community integrations will be achieved in time.
Ryzen 7 2700x, 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM and playing SS on a SSD - Always stay ahead because when you're ahead you're rear anatomy is open to interpretation.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Alex is definitely planning standing fleets.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Flacman3000

• Commander
    • View Profile

Sorry if I appear ignorant but what are standing fleets?

nathanebht

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Some of the ship expansion mods and faction mods are really nice to add along with Nex. Things that fit in great with the base ships and factions.

Perhaps an official mod pack? Something to help new players. There are already a lot of mods to look through.

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile

Persistent fleets you can order around. Hypothetically for when we have to direct fleets around in defence of the sector against [WHATEVER COULD POSSIBLY THREATEN THE SECTOR?].

Flacman3000

• Commander
    • View Profile

Persistent fleets you can order around. Hypothetically for when we have to direct fleets around in defence of the sector against [WHATEVER COULD POSSIBLY THREATEN THE SECTOR?].

If that is so, then that would be a major leap in features Starsector has, an extremely important and rich one at that. Hoping Alex will make us feel like a true space commander lmao.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

• Alex, if you ever notice me senpai want to take part or all of my mods, feel free! Most of it is MIT license or CC0, and I think all of it is free software (and anything that isn't should be readily replaceable).

(Just wanted to say, sincerely, thank you! That is very generous of you.)

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Alex, if you ever notice me senpai want to take part or all of my mods, feel free!

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA.
I wasn't always a Judge...

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

My 2 cents is that sometimes I want to play with Nex, and then I do that and have a lot of fun. But sometimes I don't want to conquer the core or deal with them flipping hostile to me (agents help, but still require money and some time input), and in those games I prefer not to play with Nex. I could probably maintain 2 settings files for nex and effectively play nex light when I'm not in the mood and just want the other nice Nex features that Histidine mentioned. I haven't dug into those setting too much though I know there are a lot of options.

NoMercyForLudds_

• Ensign
    • View Profile

But sometimes I don't want to conquer the core or deal with them flipping hostile to me (agents help, but still require money and some time input), and in those games I prefer not to play with Nex.

That's a good point, but in some (other) ways Nex makes gameplay less forced/disrupted - if an AI inspection is coming, and I'm on the other side of the map exploring, I can simply summon a defence fleet, no need to rush back to fend it off.

Soda Savvy

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Nex has a few features that are good, but a few that don't quite work for coherency. Scripted story related invasions? Those would work. Regular Nex? Gets pretty silly rather fast.

[attachment deleted by admin]

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I do not want to see Nexerelin invasions and agents in vanilla.

Custom start options would be very welcome, though!

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile

(Just wanted to say, sincerely, thank you! That is very generous of you.)
Hype!
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex
Pages: [1] 2