Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Offcial Integration of Nex as a seperate gamemode for SS upon future release?  (Read 1913 times)

IdoubtIthinkI

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I just wanted to observe that, weirdly enough, making Nex 4X vanilla would actually reduce the sandbox imo. With the current agreement, peeps can choose whether or not they want the 4X and all the pros and cons of that.

I think creating a very mod-friendly environment and equally-as-importantly mod-literate playerbase captures the best of both worlds, since willing players would be able to choose their preferred options, while not restricting anyone to the chaos of 4X.

And I say this as someone who hasn't played Starsector without Nex since Ex was a thing. Does anyone know what version that was?

NoMercyForLudds_

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Giving some level of official support to Nex is probably a smart/responsible thing to do - given the immense popularity of Nex.

The issue with mods is that modders may choose not to support them. And what will everybody (who plays with Nex) do if it's not updated for the next version of SS? Probably play less SS. (To reinforce: Nex is no ordinary mod. I may not even notice if some mod-based faction disappears, but the absence of Nex would diminish replayability for many.)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I like Nexerelin, but I would rather have it remain a mod.

Flacman3000

• Commander
  • A man cannot put his shaft into the unknown.
    • View Profile

Having it as an alternative game mode would make no difference all it means being modded is that it's not officially supported.
Ryzen 7 2700x, 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM and playing SS on a SSD - Always stay ahead because when you're ahead you're rear anatomy is open to interpretation.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I agree that it shouldn't be a "Campaign" inclusion. However, I would be happy with the Main Menu including Missions - Campaign - Nexerelin

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Let me put it differently: I don't want Nexerelin taking Alex's time that can be spent making the base game itself better.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile

Maybe I'm just old-school, but I'd prefer if Nex stayed as a mod rather than become integrated into the game.  Specifically, as Histidine put it, the highly-4X aspects like station takeovers and the such.  Starsector has a very definite theme going on, and it doesn't necessarily include things like that.

From a more practical standpoint, it's one more thing Alex has to keep track of and keep bug-free before updates launch.  And with how long the time between major updates is getting, I'm not thrilled with making it even longer for the sake of a single mod.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.
Pages: 1 [2]