Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

How many modded factions are in your current playthrough.

- 1 (1.8%)
- 4 (7%)
- 2 (3.5%)
- 3 (5.3%)
- 7 (12.3%)
- 3 (5.3%)
- 3 (5.3%)
- 1 (1.8%)
- 1 (1.8%)
- 6 (10.5%)
- 0 (0%)
- 2 (3.5%)
- 1 (1.8%)
- 2 (3.5%)
- 0 (0%)
16+
- 15 (26.3%)
0 (no faction mods)
- 6 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How many faction Mods do you play with?  (Read 7544 times)

Flacman3000

• Commander
  • A man cannot put his shaft into the unknown.
    • View Profile
How many faction Mods do you play with?
« on: April 23, 2021, 12:40:23 AM »

Mods that expand vanilla faction ex: Luddic Enhancement, HTE, Missing ships, etc do not count. Also, mods that introduce new ships but do not introduce a faction at all ex: ED shipyard.

I've been playing with 13 faction mods so far (yes 13) and I was rather surprised I had so many. So I wanted to know how many people had and why they chose certain mods or why they limited the number of factions downloaded. I have a hunch the amount of factions mods has a direct correlation to long playtime slowdowns and random slow time to save a game. I wanted some info on what most prefer and what these faction mods you have consist of!

I'm currently using:

Blackrock Drive Yards
COPS
DIABLEAVIONICS
HMI_brighton
Interstellar Imperium
Kadur Remnant
Legacy of Arkgneisis
Neutrino corp
prv Starworks (2 factions but I counted it as one)
Shadowyards
sylphon
Tiandong Heavy Industries 1.2.1a
XhanEmpire (2 factions but counted it as one)

I forgot which mod added Legio Infernalis might be 14.
Ryzen 7 2700x, 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM and playing SS on a SSD - Always stay ahead because when you're ahead you're rear anatomy is open to interpretation.

n3xuiz

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: How many faction Mods do you play with?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 04:19:05 AM »

in .91a i had a save with 58 factions total. basically i went to the mod index and got all the faction mods. though that caused saving to perform terribly after a few hours of playtime. now i run a save with 28 factions (including vanilla ones) and it seems to run ok.

looking forward to more mods getting updated so i can try again with that many :)

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 05:34:39 AM »

Roiders
HMI
ORA
Star Fed
Scy
Xhan/Pamed

Will add Tiandong and Blackrock after they're updated.

Sector feels empty and lacking in variety without additional factions (especially since vanilla lazily groups all of League nations as just "the Persean League", all pirates as "the Pirates" and all indie worlds as "the Independents") but I usually limit myself to mod factions that I feel integrate well into the game's setting and each other.

I don't have late campaign slowdowns with these + Nex.
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

Kakroom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 06:08:46 AM »

Last I checked I think I only played with Roiders. I'm pretty satisfied with the Vanilla roster. I like that roiders are designed as less of a faction and... more like a subculture? There's pirate roiders and faction roiders in addition to the group that's gone off to colonize their own system. That's really neat.

rabbistern

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 06:12:42 AM »

when you ask "how many modded factions" does that mean number of factions or mods? like how prv adds 2 factions for example. does that include factions from non-faction themed mods, such as plague bearers?

Flacman3000

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 06:56:29 AM »

in .91a i had a save with 58 factions total. basically i went to the mod index and got all the faction mods. though that caused saving to perform terribly after a few hours of playtime. now i run a save with 28 factions (including vanilla ones) and it seems to run ok.

looking forward to more mods getting updated so i can try again with that many :)

And I thought I had too much man holy cow that's nuts bro I think I'm ok then how do you not have issues with that many Every faction would only have like 4 planets max. And how's the lag is it severe, your save file must be huge.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 07:09:46 AM by Flacman3000 »
Ryzen 7 2700x, 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM and playing SS on a SSD - Always stay ahead because when you're ahead you're rear anatomy is open to interpretation.

Flacman3000

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 06:58:11 AM »

when you ask "how many modded factions" does that mean number of factions or mods? like how prv adds 2 factions for example. does that include factions from non-faction themed mods, such as plague bearers?

I mean mods that have factions regardless of it consisting of 1 or 3 in the mod just count the mod itself not the factions within to keep it simple as mentioned with xhan and prv.

Flacman3000

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 07:01:28 AM »

Last I checked I think I only played with Roiders. I'm pretty satisfied with the Vanilla roster. I like that roiders are designed as less of a faction and... more like a subculture? There's pirate roiders and faction roiders in addition to the group that's gone off to colonize their own system. That's really neat.

It's less about a need for factions for me it's more about extra ships, I love seeing different ships it makes the  sector more realistic and interesting imo you got all these ship designs to see and collect like pokemon and I love it plus some of em you grow to love so much like the replekia I love from the sylphon mod.

Flacman3000

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 07:05:55 AM »

Roiders
HMI
ORA
Star Fed
Scy
Xhan/Pamed

Will add Tiandong and Blackrock after they're updated.

Sector feels empty and lacking in variety without additional factions (especially since vanilla lazily groups all of League nations as just "the Persean League", all pirates as "the Pirates" and all indie worlds as "the Independents") but I usually limit myself to mod factions that I feel integrate well into the game's setting and each other.

I don't have late campaign slowdowns with these + Nex.

I couldn't agree more I like seeing a new ship and going what is that? Or what does it do? On top of that some factions are unintentionally stronger and gives a sense of who to mess with and who not to mess with depending on your ships and how many good blueprints you have. Really adds to that you're not special feeling I needed. I never feel like any ship is meta now even with the paragon.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 07:07:33 AM by Flacman3000 »

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 09:03:53 AM »

too many is just clutter since it's unlikely you'll ever even interact with the majority of them; 2-3 extra is the sweet spot for my personal tastes

Rudette

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 09:05:09 AM »

Faction Mods:

Roider Union
Kadur Remnant
Legacy of Arkgneisis
Federation
Scy Nation
Underworld + Tahlan Shipworks (Cabal and Legio. Tahlan is where Legio comes from, btw)

Ship Packs:

Luddic Path Enhancement + Hegemony Expeditionary Fleet
Arma Armatura
Tahlan + Underworld (Though they add factions, I mostly got them for the pirate fleet variety)
Varya's Shipack (Slightly modified)

Other

Libs
Starship Legends
Trailer Moments
Speed Up
Combat Alarm Sounds + Combat Chatter
Console Commands + Captains Log
Better Colonies
Logistics Notifications
Unknown Skies

Rambling about my thought process with my list, other faction mods, and what not:

I'll ramble about my whole list because I think seeing the sum of it's gives my list context, will be helpful for understanding what informed my choices.

Factions? Not many. My list is small-ish. I tend to rotate them in and out. Bigger lists kind of get too chaotic for me and I'm not a fan of the load times, so I keep it small. Kadur, Arkgneisis, and Roider Union fit right in and feel more like additional pirates/subfactions rather than full fledged factions. Those three I usually keep in. Then I'll have one or two more I plug in on rotation to check them out. Scy Nation is very lore friendly, but I don't always interact with them so they aren't always in. Federation was too nostalgic for me not to grab.

Legio and Cabal are mostly incidental because the main attraction with those mods are the ship packs. That said, the cabal makes hyperspace travel and smuggling more risky which I highly appreciate.

I also try to keep things lore-friendly-ish. So I avoid anime, meme mods, and mods that push the tech in crazy directions. Though, admittedly, I'm kind of a hypocrite because a lot of the time rule of cool gets the better of me XD I couldn't say no to the FTL inspired mod and the mech mods are hard to pass up. Also of note- Rather I'm playing with or without Nex also changes the way I look at adding factions. With Nex, the chaos of more factions is fun so I might plug in a couple more than usual. With a tighter more vanilla++ list I want less.

Tiandong is going on there as soon as it updates. If I ever get around to doing a League playthrough I'll give Mayasuran Navy a go. Diable I like to throw in when I'm doing Nexerelin. Xhan Empire is on my radar, but I haven't tried it yet. HMI looks a little out there, but I do like the junker aesthetic so I'll probably try it at least once at some point.

Tahlan and Underworld do so much to enhance pirates that they are a must have.

Varya's I adore and love most of the ships in it but I did go in the faction configs and got rid of a few. Stock standard it adds way too much frigate bloat. It dilutes early pirate battles into just picking on and blocking up a few near defenseless Spades and hounds. So, I got rid of the Spades, one of the Hound variants, the pirate Battlegroup ships, the Direwolf, the Henchmen, and few other things I thought were redundant or silly. The end result was immediately better, between Varya's more interesting frigates and underworld the early pirates weren't push overs anymore.

Ship/Weapons I'll probably add but disable a few things too (like that giant Ludd ship) Missing Ships I haven't tried but would need to disable the capital ships, patrol boats, and probably look at dropping Expedition Fleet and figure out what ships overlap between it and the Luddic Enhancement pack. I have enough ships and that would require some testing so I haven't got around to it. If I shake things up I'd probably shelf my other ship mods for a bit to see what I like better. As it is, I'm already thinking of pruning things back a little.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 09:23:19 AM by Rudette »

ShpunkY

• Lieutenant
  • Just another piece of ***
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 09:31:51 AM »

2 with other mods
maybe 3 if i disabled all other mods

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 09:47:45 AM »

At present I can't answer the poll, because: 0. I'll start using some faction mods once I'm done with vanilla, but I'm not done yet. I've got at least 4 more playthroughs of different styles to do...

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 11:24:18 AM »

Wait can you just switch version number for Tiandong for .95 or is the OP modlist .91?

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2021, 12:40:55 PM »

Ohh it said FACTION mods, my bad, haven't tried any so far, since I use Nex I'm afraid factions will wipe each other out too fast.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:14:22 PM by Ad Astra »
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates
Pages: [1] 2