Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hilight several manual weapon groups at once  (Read 2262 times)

Hari Seldon

• Commander
    • View Profile
Hilight several manual weapon groups at once
« on: June 03, 2013, 01:42:35 PM »

Weapons are already in groups, and that is almost perfect.

But the Apogee with a plasma cannon and 2 antimatter blasters on the front can't be on auto fire because that makes them miss a lot, and I would like to manually fire both groups simultaneously.  Since I can't do that I tend to swap out the antimatter blasters with autofire beams and only manually fire the plasma cannon.  Being able to hilight multiple manual weapon groups at once, say Shift+weapon group number would fix this, though I know UI improvement is low on the list from the poll.

Second thing, is the AI good with slow-firing projectiles?  I would love to fight other ships that have plasma cannons.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:52:38 PM by Hari Seldon »
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Hilight several manual weapon groups at once
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 02:49:01 PM »

The next version will in all likelihood offer the option of setting a weapon group to fire directly on press of the weapon group key. That will be great for strike weapons and missiles.
I, personally, am planning on remapping a weapon group to one of the extra mouse keys.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 06:26:02 PM »

The next version will in all likelihood offer the option of setting a weapon group to fire directly on press of the weapon group key. That will be great for strike weapons and missiles.
I, personally, am planning on remapping a weapon group to one of the extra mouse keys.

Could you point me to a quote on that Gothars? I didn't see that one...

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 08:24:07 PM »

Could you point me to a quote on that Gothars? I didn't see that one...

yeah, me neither. i kinda got curious when i saw that. i remember seeing the huge thread about it, but im pretty sure it ended up with something like "the idea might be looked at later on"

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 01:41:45 AM »

Certainly:

As far as firing a group immediately, that's on my list of things to take a look at. If all goes well, it'd most likely be configurable in the weapon groups dialog, in an extra row - like the default autofire mode is now. If on, selecting the group would instead fire its weapons. (So, no new controls, and also, likely no autofire for a group that's set to work this way.)

Maybe "in all likelihood" is a bit optimistic, but I believe.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 09:12:43 AM »

For now, I find tapping the weapon group in question and tapping back works just fine. Quite literally, the old 1-2.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 02:23:56 PM »

I usually just end up toggling autofire or switching to the wrong weapon group when I try to do that.