Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AI dropping its shields for no reason that I could understand  (Read 1646 times)

v4l0rus

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I see it too frequently now to not to inquire about it.

I max out flux vents, use Flux Distr., make shields as tanky and efficient as possible, I'm careful so that the weapon flux/sec is <=, or only slightly above the dissipation rate, and then what do I see? The ship dropping its damn shields at ~5% Hflux as a big volley of anti-armor projectiles are incoming, it just blows my damn mind when I see it. All that investment for nothing. I see this in simulation too where it's 1v1, so there aren't other ships that could confuse the AI. I absolutely don't get it.

And while we're still at shields, the AI also has a terrible tendency to shift its omni shield towards distant piranha bomb shells that aren't even remotely on a trajectory that could ever hit the ship. Nevermind the massive harpoon volley that's about to annihilate most of the ship's health, nah, look at those piranha bombs flying towards the other ship on the other side of the map ensign, align the shields!

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
Re: AI dropping its shields for no reason that I could understand
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 06:04:35 AM »

Which simulation settings are these?

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 06:10:22 AM »

The Piranha bomb thing is something that was addressed in the latest RC, IIRC, or at least something that was noted and is on the list of things to be fixed. As for needlessly dropping shields in the face of HE projectiles, do share these simulation settings. If it's consistent than that's an ideal case for the dev to investigate the cause and hopefully fix the issue.

ROFLMAN

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 08:07:21 AM »

I have unfortunately found this issue as well (so far I've mainly used the simulator to test my builds, so basically 1v1s).
It happens everytime with different ships and different loadouts - shields drop randomly way way before the hardflux is close to maxing out, which it did not in 0.91a.
I thought it was only me as no threads were being made about it, but if others chime in and have the same experience it may be an AI bug after all.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 08:08:52 AM by ROFLMAN »

Pappus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 01:20:18 PM »

There are legit reasons to drop them even early, but I have not seen it happen out of order at all.

Would be best to make a quick video about it so it can be discussed further.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 01:26:39 PM »

And while we're still at shields, the AI also has a terrible tendency to shift its omni shield towards distant piranha bomb shells that aren't even remotely on a trajectory that could ever hit the ship. Nevermind the massive harpoon volley that's about to annihilate most of the ship's health, nah, look at those piranha bombs flying towards the other ship on the other side of the map ensign, align the shields!

That's a bug and should be fixed in -RC15, btw.

v4l0rus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 02:47:04 PM »

Which simulation settings are these?
The Piranha bomb thing is something that was addressed in the latest RC, IIRC, or at least something that was noted and is on the list of things to be fixed. As for needlessly dropping shields in the face of HE projectiles, do share these simulation settings. If it's consistent than that's an ideal case for the dev to investigate the cause and hopefully fix the issue.
I cannot give a specific condition that could exactly replicate the situation, I tried the loadout again and again in the sim and things went differently. In a hindsight I should've posted this in the bugs section, because while testing it I found more things. (was tired and stressed, now i'm back after a nap, sorry)

I don't know what triggers it exactly. Just imagine two capital ships well in range of each other. One begins shooting, and as a response the other turns off its shield. It looks similar to these behaviors:
- getting rid of flux during an opportunity without venting
- sacrificing armor for flux dissipation
- prediction of enemy AI behavior - i know this one is very vague

IMO just be on the lookout for such behavior what I described first, because I know this is nothing to go on.

That's a bug and should be fixed in -RC15, btw.
That's why I was surprised to see it, it happened like this:

(10k hours in MS Paint)

ROFLMAN

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 10:31:51 PM »

I'm trying to get a simulation which concistently does this behaviour, but it doesnt seem to happen with vanilla ships.
If I try using some modded ships though it seems to trigger more often... is this placebo or might there be a difference under the hood between the ships?
I'll try some more loadouts and vanilla ships to try to get this in vanilla though.

Aerolfos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 01:05:10 AM »

I did see it happen just now with 100% vanilla ships (using QOL mods though, like target indicator) - because I was this close to losing an Apogee when it lowered shields in the middle of a ton of Remnant drones.

I wish I had the save, but part of why it was a huge deal was because I realized I forgot to save for a long time beforehand.

This is the design:
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 01:09:20 AM by Aerolfos »