Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New player supply experience.  (Read 561 times)

thebluepharaoh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
New player supply experience.
« on: April 22, 2021, 12:32:16 PM »

Good afternoon,

I am seeing if anyone else is experiencing the same issue I am having.  I am finding it difficult to keep supplied with a larger fleet without bankrupting myself.  Maybe this is intended but the cost for supplies seems a little steep.  I am currently using a mod that gives you income for signing up with a faction so that helps with the cost a bit but if I wanted to play independent I'm not sure how you would support yourself. 

I've tried outposts and colonies but if you resupply yourself from the stock it costs money, and not even at a discount because it's your property.  I would have atleast expected some sort of reward for supporting a colony other then the small income it gives on a good day.

Like I said, just want to find out other people's opinions.  I personally like the system used in mount and blade.  That food/supplies are needed and you need to keep track of them but they aren't going to bankrupt you.  Maybe there needs to be a different quality of supplys with a bonus.  Easy to get supplies make the crew a little unhappy because it's just bread and water while high level supplies can give bonus's.  Just a thought.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: New player supply experience.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 12:47:04 PM »

I mean, it depends on what you're doing, and what skills you have, and what sort of fleet you're lugging around; I generally don't have issues with supplies these days, but I'm also decently skilled at the game and can, for example, generally expect to come out of a battle with more supplies than I went into it with.

Particularly early game, it can be enormously helpful to go three or four skills deep into Industry, even if the intent is to respec out of that later.

Late-game, the benefit of a good colony setup is disposable income - when you're making hundreds of thousands of credits a month just for existing, you can afford to buy supplies wherever.

Pirate bases can also be excellent sources of supplies - they've got relatively low defenses against raids, so just one or two hundred marines can easily top off your reserves.

Also:
I am currently using a mod that gives you income for signing up with a faction so that helps with the cost a bit but if I wanted to play independent I'm not sure how you would support yourself.
This is a vanilla feature. Holding a commission is highly profitable; the tradeoff is that you always have enemies - and frequently have unexpected enemies, too.
I am finding it difficult to keep supplied with a larger fleet without bankrupting myself.
What, exactly, do you consider to be a 'larger fleet'? If you're lugging around a half-dozen Onslaughts and Legions - yeah, that's a really very expensive fleet to run.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.