Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Make Longbow's missile faster  (Read 906 times)

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Make Longbow's missile faster
« on: April 21, 2021, 10:53:30 PM »

The Longbow's Sabot missile will usually arrive after the torpedo volleys from the other bombers on the carrier. It's longer range and much slower than the torpedoes. Carriers can't stagger the bomber attacks so the Longbows attack first. I think you can somewhat force them to arrive at the same time by moving the carrier REAL close to the target but that's obviously not what carriers are supposed to do.

I know that'll make them even harder to intercept but I have no other idea for making the Longbows work together with other bombers.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Make Longbow's missile faster
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 10:58:22 PM »

While this would be a possible solution, carriers should be able to stagger the bomber strikes - theres an offset in the csv file to do exactly that! I wonder if its set wrong for Longbows and they should have a lower value?

rokenx2

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 04:32:28 PM »

i was just using the longbows as an experiment and thought exactly that if they where a bit faster or.... even if they just shot them a little closer to the target... they would be far more useful... but i feel they are too squishy and high op for only 2 sabot shots another thought perhaps having 2 missiles on each ship  to compensate for how utterly easy they are to shoot down atm

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 04:46:03 PM »

Hmm - where are you seeing this be a problem? E.G. I just tried a combination of Daggers and Longbows and the torpedoes reliably hit after the Sabots.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 04:52:42 PM »

Generally I see this happen if either you're already relatively close to a target - or if the target is backing away.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 04:56:18 PM »

Ah - right, either could throw off the efforts of the bombers to line up! But that can't really be avoided, especially not once the missiles are already launched...

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 02:21:57 AM »

Backing away from Sabots has always been their weakness, fighter-based or not.
The only solution is to try launching Sabots too close for enemy to be able to retreat.