Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Overnerfing Energy Weapon Mastery  (Read 6132 times)

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Overnerfing Energy Weapon Mastery
« on: April 21, 2021, 11:43:39 AM »

In terms of damage, an energy frigate with a good build vs destroyers has went from doing +50% (Target Analysis, Weapon Drills, Wolfpack, 100% CR) + EWM up to 50%, to +50% to EWM up to 30%. At half flux, which seems to be a reasonable comparison points, frigates have gone from 1.75 damage to 1.65 damage... a whopping 5.7% reduction in total damage output.
Now consider a shrike and a tempest, both at 8 DP, against an enemy destroyer.
Assume both at 60% flux.
Prior to the nerf, a shrike can have up to 160% energy weapon efficiency, comparing to 180% of tempest it's 11.2% less effective.
After the nerf, a shrike now only have 148%, comparing to 168% of tempest, it's 11.9% less effective
That is said, the disparity of power is INCREASED by 0.7%, effectively encourages frigate meta.
The conclusion we can draw from this is we should buff EWM, not nerf it.

"a tiny revenge"
I feel like these threads are always knee jerk overreactions.
[close]

Quote from: original message
By removing safety override cheese EWM is now obsolete as well.

50% bonus was only at 100% flux - which is virtually impossible.
Most of the time it’s around 35% or below, and it’s only full bonus below 600 range, means it’s big risk big reward.
It was too good solely due to built in SO giving huge edge in speed and flux to do insane BnZ maneuver. It’s no longer possible to do that anymore.
Nerfing it by an additional 40% puts it in near obsolete skill as ships die like flies in 600 range without help of SO and the bonus doesn’t apply to ranged energy weapons. Even if you put a SO it’s more costly, losing 3000 equivalent max flux for a frigate and up to 9000 flux on Aurora. The bonus becomes pathetic that I’d rather has ranged mastery using conquest instead, at least I can have full 30% bonus with no risk whatsoever.

RIP EWM.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 08:43:24 PM by Sutopia »

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Overnerfing Energy Weapon Mastery
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 11:56:31 AM »

Still good on Afflictor. Deleting sim Paragon in 2 attack passes just as before (character build fully optimized for Afflictor), the only difference is that Paragon has a bit more hull left after 1st attack.

Burvjradzite

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 11:57:49 AM »

I mourn with you, brotha. Well, i guess i'm gonna build my 700 PPT puny little frigates instead of 200 PPT BSO nuclear warheads.

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 12:01:25 PM »

I only really use SO on my flagship Hammerhead, but my non-SO frigates were still good at wrecking things.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 12:03:58 PM »

Still good on Afflictor. Deleting sim Paragon in 2 attack passes just as before (character build fully optimized for Afflictor), the only difference is that Paragon has a bit more hull left after 1st attack.
That’s really AIs fault lowering shield on paragon for no good reason

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 12:08:32 PM »

EWM will still be fine on frigates and maybe a few ships like shrike/fury/aurora that are always fighting inside 600 range anyway. I definitely didn't see such a major nerf coming though.

The problem with phase ships is phase skills, not EWM.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 12:11:44 PM »

EWM will still be fine on frigates and maybe a few ships like shrike/fury/aurora that are always fighting inside 600 range anyway. I definitely didn't see such a major nerf coming though.

The problem with phase ships is phase skills, not EWM.

I usually have my Fury sitting at over 1500 range casting long range beams thanks to ITU bonus. It’s even better now since ECM major nerf I no longer need to care about range reduction.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 12:17:05 PM »

That%u2019s really AIs fault lowering shield on paragon for no good reason

Yes and no. In duel situation you are right - just raise the shield and keep it that way.
But in a fleet situation, single player-piloted Afflictor can basically terrorize whole enemy fleet into keeping shields up always (if that's how they react), because it's fast enough to reach any who drop before they can re-raise.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 01:18:30 PM by TaLaR »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 12:24:24 PM »

I feel like these threads are always knee jerk overreactions. IIRC there was talk at the start of this version about SO being dead because ACGs had been nerfed. And about how carrier were useless because of skill changes (they weren't). Or about how low tech is left behind. Or about how Automated Ships was useless. Etc etc. No one's had a chance to play very much with EWM at 30%, its way too early to say its now useless. Maybe 30% is the wrong number and some other is better, but no one knows yet.

SO not being built in doesn't mean its not going to be used, just that its going to take OP instead of being a massive free hullmod. You can still build in other hullmods and have OP for the build, and the PPT for SO ships is still extremely long with stacked skills.

Even at 15% for half flux, this combined with Wolfpack is still a 35% damage boost for energy frigates: thats extremely large. Energy frigates are going to be fine, just not as dominant as they were.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 12:38:48 PM »

Looks at my two officers with Energy Mastery.  "You're fired!"

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 12:41:34 PM »

I feel like these threads are always knee jerk overreactions. IIRC there was talk at the start of this version about SO being dead because ACGs had been nerfed. And about how carrier were useless because of skill changes (they weren't). Or about how low tech is left behind. Or about how Automated Ships was useless. Etc etc. No one's had a chance to play very much with EWM at 30%, its way too early to say its now useless. Maybe 30% is the wrong number and some other is better, but no one knows yet.

SO not being built in doesn't mean its not going to be used, just that its going to take OP instead of being a massive free hullmod. You can still build in other hullmods and have OP for the build, and the PPT for SO ships is still extremely long with stacked skills.

Even at 15% for half flux, this combined with Wolfpack is still a 35% damage boost for energy frigates: thats extremely large. Energy frigates are going to be fine, just not as dominant as they were.
Over half of that is from wolfpack and please don’t forget ballistic frigate still has 120% without, not to mention there exist target analysis which is almost a blind pick for officers. The bonus from EWM pretty much becomes irrelevant comparing to already large base frigate bonuses.
No straw man please.

I also listed the math of the impact of OP on SO nerf.
Please read.

The nerf was leaked in unofficial discord last week of damn course people have time to try it.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 12:42:19 PM »

Look how he gutted Impact Mitigation though that favors low-tech ships. If energy wasn't nerfed then high-tech would have well and truly been best tech.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 12:45:19 PM »

Look how he gutted Impact Mitigation though
The age of Thumper is upon us at last.

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 01:08:26 PM »

The age of Thumper is upon us at last.

The prophecies were true!
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 01:34:56 PM »

Are there any non-energy frigates that are even remotely competitive with the damage of tempest/scarab/hyperion? 15% damage is definitely not irrelevant. Any ship that can average something like that will be fine taking the skill IMO. I think it was probably nerfed because gunnery implants was also nerfed and it is directly competing with that.

Personally I would have nerfed it to 40% first and then another nerf if that still felt like too much.
Pages: [1] 2 3