Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [0.97a] Neutrino Detector Mk.II, a false positive remover  (Read 28596 times)

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile
[0.97a] Neutrino Detector Mk.II, a false positive remover
« on: April 20, 2021, 04:08:15 PM »

Neutrino Detector Mk.II
v1.4.3
Adds a new ability that removes false spikes at an increased volatiles cost.

Download

requires LazyLib 2.6 or later
All updates are save-compatible unless the first number changes (1.1.x to 1.2.x is ok, but 1.x.x to 2.x.x is not).

Source CodePrevious Versions

The new ability is granted on game load if the normal Neutrino ability is unlocked.
Change the per-day volatile cost by editing mods/NeutrinoDetectorMkII-x.y.z/data/config/modSettings.json.

Yes, this is a thinly veiled cheat. My recommendation is not to use this until you've played for many, many hours already.

If you like this, you may also like, or prefer, Objects Analysis by Harpuea.
Objects Analysis shows a list of all objects within a system, but doesn't show their location, making exploration a search for known objects rather than a beeline to unknown objects.

Ability not showing up?
Put this into the Console:
Code
runcode Global.getSector().getCharacterData().addAbility("neutrino_detector_mkII");

Bugs? Questions? Ping me on Discord @Wisp#0302, or just leave a comment in this thread.

Changelog
Spoiler
1.4.3 (2024-02-25) - Save Compatible
- 0.97a version file change

1.4.2 (2023-12-23) - Save Compatible
- data/config/modSettings.json now allows more configuration, including color (thanks to DeCell)

1.4.1 (2023-05-06) - Save Compatible
- Fixed crash on load if LunaLib was enabled.

1.4.0 (2023-05-06) - Save Compatible
- 0.96a compat.

1.3.0 (2023-04-17) - Save Compatible
- Adds support for slipstream detection out to a range of 15 LY (up from vanilla 10 LY).

1.2.0 (2021-05-01) - Save Compatible
- Bigger, more obvious spikes
- Darker purple (easier to see on some light Unknown Skies backgrounds)

1.1.0 (2021-04-20) - Save Compatible
- Increased usage to 1.8 volatiles per day
- It's still really OP
- Added a config file to change the cost (`data/config/modSettings.json`)

1.0.2 - Save Compatible
- Fixed the ability sometimes not getting added (why is the normal neutrino scan sometimes in one list and sometimes in another?)

1.0.1 - Save Compatible
- Fixed incompatibility with version checker

- Initial release
[close]

Known Issues
- none

Credits
LazyWizard: For LazyLib
Many others on Discord for help, support, reports, and being a motivating community
And of course Fractal Softworks for this incredible game

« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 10:24:10 AM by Wispborne »
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

123nick

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Neutrino Detector Mk.II, a false positive remover
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 04:14:59 PM »

It would be cool if you could set a certain level that grants neutrino detector mk 2, instead of just game start. for me, i dont mind the false spikes in the early game but in the mid-late game its just wasting your time, imo. if it was like, level 8 or something that u got neutrino detector mk 2, maybe more or less, after ur experience and mastery of neutrino-detecting gets too the point where u can know whats a false lead and what isnt.

epsilonflash

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 04:38:08 PM »

I gotta say, this doesn't feel very cheat-y at all. the false neutrino spikes are a massive time-waster and a bother, there's nothing like counterplay or anything, you either have to follow them all and waste time or you potentially miss out on finding things. which, for an ability that should supposedly help not miss out on stuff... the fake spikes really make it feel mostly pointless

thank you very much for making this mod, it's a godsend and I'll definitely be using it in all my future playthroughs

Morgan Rue

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 05:47:20 PM »

I gotta say, this doesn't feel very cheat-y at all. the false neutrino spikes are a massive time-waster and a bother, there's nothing like counterplay or anything, you either have to follow them all and waste time or you potentially miss out on finding things. which, for an ability that should supposedly help not miss out on stuff... the fake spikes really make it feel mostly pointless

thank you very much for making this mod, it's a godsend and I'll definitely be using it in all my future playthroughs
You can tell the difference between a 'real' spike and a 'fake' spike by traveling perpendicular to the spike and seeing if it moves. There's probably a few other ways to tell, and there's also a bunch of 'normal spots' for stuff to be, but I'm not going to list all that here.

But yea, the fake spikes make the ability feel... not really worth using? It takes time, requires volatiles and is generally not as effective as it perhaps should be?
Dauntless.

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 06:22:20 PM »

It would be cool if you could set a certain level that grants neutrino detector mk 2, instead of just game start. for me, i dont mind the false spikes in the early game but in the mid-late game its just wasting your time, imo. if it was like, level 8 or something that u got neutrino detector mk 2, maybe more or less, after ur experience and mastery of neutrino-detecting gets too the point where u can know whats a false lead and what isnt.

I know this is a cop-out answer, but you could just install the mod mid/late game instead of at the start.

In reality, this is a low-effort mod and I would rather not spend time making it feel more integrated into the game, simply because it's meant to be a band-aid for those who are tired of false positives instead of something that a new player should add to their game and expect to feel balanced.
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

epsilonflash

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 01:05:53 PM »

You can tell the difference between a 'real' spike and a 'fake' spike by traveling perpendicular to the spike and seeing if it moves. There's probably a few other ways to tell, and there's also a bunch of 'normal spots' for stuff to be, but I'm not going to list all that here.

you're right of course, but at least in my opinion I still feel it's not worth the time. oftentimes the phantom spikes are small enough that the fake "object" would be somewhat far away, so if we move perpendicularly you still have to move a fair bit to make sure the pointer isn't moving at all, and that's time you could have just spent going towards the place and sensor bursting, which doesn't necessitate carrying volatiles and actually tells you with 100% certainty whether there's something around that area or not

phantom signals just feel very self-defeating in an ability that's supposed to help you save time honestly, like, here's this cool ability that'll show you where everything is so you don't have to waste time searching around aimlessly, but also it comes with false positives so you have to search around aimlessly anyway. it just makes the original neutrino detector not ever worth using (personally speaking)

Ramiel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 02:27:30 AM »

This mod is a godsend.....it definitely needs more exposure to the masses....the regular one is useless, it gives you dozens of fake points of interest and has you running around the system looking....this modded one actually helps!

No need to reply or anything....just expressing my appreciation......

Kobura

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 07:22:03 AM »

Why isn't this in the mod index?

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 08:36:35 AM »

Because it's a cheat mod and I don't want to contribute to filling the Index with low-effort cheat mods. The quality of mods in the Index is, on average, pretty high.

much later edit: My understanding is that the mod Seeker adds a tool similar to Neutrino Detector Mk.II, but much better integrated into the game. I would suggest checking it out.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 04:55:01 PM by Wispborne »

imba512

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 09:25:16 PM »

I increased the volatile consumption to 9/day to make it feel more balanced.

What happens is that I pulse MK.II on for a few seconds to get a general bearing, then use the regular Neutrino detector to home in.

Mira Lendin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2021, 10:36:12 PM »

When you combine this mod with "Objects Analysis" you can basically tell the location of every secret facility/cache within the first second of activation, after that you can just turn off the system and head toward them 1 by 1.
you might want to consider adding a big activation cost and lower the cost per second to compensate.
^^

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2021, 09:15:21 AM »

When you combine this mod with "Objects Analysis" you can basically tell the location of every secret facility/cache within the first second of activation, after that you can just turn off the system and head toward them 1 by 1.
you might want to consider adding a big activation cost and lower the cost per second to compensate.
Or mark the other mod as 'incompatable' in the mod_info.java

Axisoflint

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2021, 06:55:23 PM »

Or mark the other mod as 'incompatable' in the mod_info.java

Or... we could let people decide if they want to play with both mods together or not?

Szasz

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Neutrino Detector Mk.II, a false positive remover
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2022, 01:57:42 AM »

Confused. Checked the code how you add the ability, seems solid so why is this happening?
Yes, the mod is activated.

edit: oh, shoot, it's on gameload, facepalm

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 02:07:36 AM by Szasz »
Pages: [1] 2