Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How the hell are you supposed to smuggle anything in this game?  (Read 12905 times)

NoMercyForLudds_

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: How the hell are you supposed to smuggle anything in this game?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2021, 12:41:21 PM »

Don't smuggle things children, smuggling is bad. Just openly go around trading with your pirate and space jihadi friends, that's apparently not a crime at all.  ;D

Lol this has been taken directly from the real world - I love some of the (un)intended moral flexibility in Starsector and wish for more of it in future releases

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2021, 12:44:59 PM »

Don't smuggle things children, smuggling is bad. Just openly go around trading with your pirate and space jihadi friends, that's apparently not a crime at all.  ;D
I'm pretty sure openly trading with a faction that another faction in the same system is hostile to will result in relationship penalties, it's just that no one ever notices because black market trading doesn't count as trading with any faction. That or maybe it's a Nex thing, I don't remember, either way open market trading is completely useless and forced stealth sections in games are about as fun as they have always been...

Nameless

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2021, 12:49:09 PM »

Well you get ships to harass you if you do black market trading so thats the trade off I suppose. Do you want to waste more effort to regain those reputation lost or just pay some extra money.

Forced stealth can work if implemented correctly but right now it seems there are still work required for it to be a non frustrating experience.

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2021, 01:01:22 PM »

Stealth only works when the metaphorical stars align, or when the terrain is really good for it. Sneaking stuff into cruor for example is fun because there is an asteroid ring you can hide around, places with 5 patrols and out in the open? Yeaaah, that'll be a no from me chief.
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

sprayer2708

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2021, 11:20:33 PM »

Just leave all non phase ships in a storage when you go on a stealth mission

bob888w

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2021, 12:45:38 AM »

Atzlan relay story mission can be done by attracting the patrols and then transverse jumping back as you cross so much more distance in hyperspace.

prav

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2021, 01:09:43 AM »

I recommend transponder-on smuggling. Find someone who doesn't like you, bring a big fleet, and go shopping on your own terms.

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2021, 08:03:29 AM »

I recommend transponder-on smuggling. Find someone who doesn't like you, bring a big fleet, and go shopping on your own terms.

I wonder what your spacesuit is made of to able to contain all of that Big PP Energy
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2021, 09:07:27 AM »

I wonder what your spacesuit is made of to able to contain all of that Big PP Energy

Honestly, it doesn't require much bravery. Pirate and Pather patrols are tiny because they're resource deficient - exactly the customer you want when ferrying goods.

v4l0rus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2021, 10:19:50 AM »

If you really want to smuggle, first you should build your ships around it, so insulated ship engines and militarized subsystems is a must. Your ships shouldn't be bigger than a cruiser either, but I'd stick to destroyer sized ships at most in order to keep a low sensor profile.
Second, make use of asteroid belts, nebulas, magnetic fields and so on, any terrain that reduces your sensor profile and be in dark mode if you have to sneak around. Strong magnetic fields reduce your profile to 0 no matter how big your fleet is, so you're practically invisible in them and you can lose any pursuers at any distance.

As other said before already, you should also create a distraction if enemy vessels are patrolling a planet, but this also implies that your normal and max burn level must be kept high so you can escape and make use of the diversion.
If you aren't delivering to an enemy faction or your reputation is at least 0 with them, you can go in with your transponder on, then go dark in a belt and do your business. And watch the enemy fleet sensor ranges, don't be caught in them. If the sensor indicator "pings" (when the indicator suddenly catches you out of nowhere then disappears into the distance) that means someone scanned the area and you fell into their sensor range, so you better run at that point.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 10:23:14 AM by v4l0rus »
Pages: 1 [2]