Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Allow high/mid esm fleet work better against very high esm fleet  (Read 1150 times)

oooh_senpai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

I dont really like the idea of esm being all or nothing. Most common cases are you have more esm (pirates) / enemy has way more esm (80+ esm redacted). That means that lower's side esm does nothing till higher side won't lose most of their frigates. I think that adding multiplayer that reduces esm effect if lower side have some esm would be nice. So for example we have 60 and 90 esm fleets, which leads to 20% range reduction for 60 esm fleet. What if it will be not 20% but 20% * (1 - 0.6) = 8% range reduction. Than makes any of your esm matter and leaves some place for skills for that (maybe elite versions of existing skills.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Allow high/mid esm fleet work better against very high esm fleet
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 09:07:48 AM »

Why wouldn't you just hunt their frigates down?

oooh_senpai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 09:43:27 AM »

Why wouldn't you just hunt their frigates down?
It takes time to kill all of the frigates ai will send to you, especially when fighting more than one fleet at a time (5 frigates capturing one point)
, especially if they are inside one of death ball formations constantly retreating to hide behind cruisers.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 09:51:28 AM »

It takes single Afflictor or Harbinger. Time? Well, in the worst case scenario its a double tap per frigate. 10 sec.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 10:09:07 AM »

It takes single Afflictor or Harbinger. Time? Well, in the worst case scenario its a double tap per frigate. 10 sec.

Yeah, but Afflictor could kill DEs or most cruisers just as fast (double tap more tanky cruisers or capitals, triple for most tanky and officered ships), so hunting frigates first is waste of time as long as other options are available.

oooh_senpai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 10:11:00 AM »

Even if i use phase ships, not everyone uses them.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 10:35:36 AM »

Agreed on not using phase ships: I found them boring to fly last version, and this version I find them boring to fly + god mode for extra boring no challenge.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 12:09:56 PM »

Yeah, but Afflictor could kill DEs or most cruisers just as fast (double tap more tanky cruisers or capitals, triple for most tanky and officered ships), so hunting frigates first is waste of time as long as other options are available.

AI doesn't do full deployment against a single frigate. You have to kill off some stuff to make room for another.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 12:17:07 PM »

It is not about the phase ships. It is about the game already having the solution to the ECM problem. And I can provide several other apart from the Afflictor. Mostly because I'm not fixed on the idea of playing the game in a predetermined way.

Anvel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 12:17:42 PM »

Agreed on not using phase ships: I found them boring to fly last version, and this version I find them boring to fly + god mode for extra boring no challenge.
Agreed, same reasons, I hope that they would be rebalanced and slow+superspeed effect removed/nerfed, they should be SLOWER in phase, not lightning fast.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 12:22:07 PM »

they should be SLOWER in phase, not lightning fast.

That would make phase ships utterly useless. Any normal ship would just follow phase ship until it fluxes out, then kill it.

oooh_senpai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 12:22:54 PM »

It is not about the phase ships. It is about the game already having the solution to the ECM problem. And I can provide several other apart from the Afflictor. Mostly because I'm not fixed on the idea of playing the game in a predetermined way.
It's about ok going to deploy my ship and go kill all the enemy frigates to not make my fleet hands cut-off, just the same as all previous battles. It is a problem, no actual battle-opening alternatives.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 01:09:59 PM »

It's about ok going to deploy my ship and go kill all the enemy frigates to not make my fleet hands cut-off, just the same as all previous battles. It is a problem, no actual battle-opening alternatives.

First of all you have two pre-battle choices:

1) To win the ECM war.
2) Not to win ECM war.

If you are to pick option 1) you will not have any problems.

However you decided to pick option 2).

OK.

Now you have other choices:

1) To suffer from your decision.
2) To not suffer.

Option 2) divides into another two.

1) You destroy opponent's ECM capabilities.
2) You make them irrelevant.

Afflictor is only a suboption of the suboption "personally hunt enemy frigates down". While on the other have a SO fleet with its ubiquitous "you guys are allowed to shoot beyond 450 su?"

And there is a lot of stuff between these two things.

Anvel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 01:17:08 PM »

they should be SLOWER in phase, not lightning fast.

That would make phase ships utterly useless. Any normal ship would just follow phase ship until it fluxes out, then kill it.
Yeh very balanced, phase - fly through any ship - unload alpha in engines - repeat ;D

Amazigh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 01:21:28 PM »

So for example we have 60 and 90 esm fleets, which leads to 20% range reduction for 60 esm fleet. What if it will be not 20% but 20% * (1 - 0.6) = 8% range reduction. Than makes any of your esm matter and leaves some place for skills for that (maybe elite versions of existing skills.

iirc, alex is currently planning to change ECM to have a "cap" of 30%, and a maximum reduction of 10% range, which would be an improvement on the current system (imo)

But I like your idea more, maybe with a tweaked formula, but making it so that every point of ECM makes a difference, regardless of whether you're going all-in on giving everything ECM, so you always get reduction regardless of enemy ECM rating. Or just getting a couple of points of ECM across your fleet, so whatever range reduction the enemy has will have less of an impact on you.