Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A few ideas  (Read 1278 times)

Jet Black

• Commander
    • View Profile
A few ideas
« on: April 20, 2021, 06:28:19 AM »

Just a few ideas, I'm no modder/coder or anything but I always have a few ideas kicking around.

Randomised ship buffs:
   Think starship legends, but upon finding a ship it has random affixes and prefixes like a diablo type rpg. Common, uncommon, rare, unique, etc. Even a reskin of the unique version of said ship type.

Battle map complexity:
   Add more points of interest to the battle map. Black hole that sucks in weapon fire or even small ships. Could make the holes suck ships in one spot and toss them out another.
   A king of the hill point, giving huge buffs to whomever controls it. This would take away from the big slow capitol ship abuse and allow for a less heavy handed way to shoehorn frigates in without being hugely bias in the skill system.
   A flux point to overload or super charge weapons or shields?

Movable colonies:
   Change the colony into a super capitol ship. Have a tool bar ability to toggle it into fleet and out of fleet. Doesn't even have to be a planet, could be a station. I remember an old tv show Shadow Raiders had moving planets like this.

Stationary defence:
   The ability to build stationary defence in a system you've chosen to colonise. To help protect planets, stations, gateways, etc. Think mini stations that auto join battle of anything around them.

Anyways thats all I can think of for now lol.

Jet Black

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: A few ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 12:59:41 PM »

Another idea came to me. We have plenty of unique ships, weapons, hull mods etc. Since the enemy has dozens of officers, lets not fix that and instead use it as an opportunity to buff how we handle our officers. Quality over quantity.

Why don't we have any unique officers? With unique abilities?

Skills that are not on the players list, completely new stuff. There is always something new to add.

Higher level cap.
More elite skills than average.
Customization like the alpha cores, but on the officers. Which I might add is a feature with HUGE potential for officers. Can link it to the academy so human officers can change their skill sets.
Modders can add their own custom officers to their mods, with their own take on what an officer piloting their mod ships should be.

Thats it for today lol.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 01:03:26 PM by Jet Black »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 02:47:25 PM »

Randomised ship buffs:
RogueSynth mod on discord, not updated for 0.95 yet

Battle map complexity:
Secrets of the Frontier mod
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15820.0

Movable colonies:
Legacy of Arkgneisis mod: Has a mobile home colony roaming the map
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=13667.0

Stationary defence:
Secrets of the Frontier: kinda, allows you to build stations in stable points

Why don't we have any unique officers? With unique abilities?
Starship Legend mod: not exactly that but it adds modifiers to ships that gets enhanced by their captains should they perform well in that ship.
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15321.0
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 02:49:22 PM by Tartiflette »

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 04:24:00 PM »

Idea Guy discovers once again; the idea is the easy part, the actual work is the part most people get hung up on.

Jet Black

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 04:15:46 AM »

I liked the idea of making officers more customizable. So I started fiddling with turning an ai core into a human officer. So far the core has a human face, managed to recruit it and level it up. Has customizable skills like the ai core would in a ship. Still needs more work mainly just a copy pasta of other game files with a bit of tweaking. The part I'm not going to be able to do yet is make custom effects for abilities. I'm going to try to reverse engineer a few skills and change them into something different and see how that goes.

Thanks tart for the secrets of the frontier link.

Kakroom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 09:45:42 PM »

Just a few ideas, I'm no modder/coder or anything but I always have a few ideas kicking around.

Movable colonies:
   Change the colony into a super capitol ship. Have a tool bar ability to toggle it into fleet and out of fleet. Doesn't even have to be a planet, could be a station. I remember an old tv show Shadow Raiders had moving planets like this.

Lolol. I don't even want to think about what a nightmare this would be to implement.

Nevertheless I believe it deeply necessary that we fund it immediately.