Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Academy mission inconsistencies  (Read 804 times)

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
Academy mission inconsistencies
« on: April 20, 2021, 03:47:12 AM »

So I'm doing a mission for the Galatian Academy to retrieve some valuable doohicky or another. On my way back to the academy to drop it off a pirate fleet shows up and threatens to murder me if I don't turn the thing over to them instead.

Problem the first: That pirate fleet will continue to do so even after I've reduced them to two Drams. Not that the fleet continues to try and intercept me or anything, but if I intercept them and open a comlink they'll repeat their usual spiel, minus one fleet that at least looks vaguely threatening on paper. It's a minor issue at best of course, but acknowledgement that the fleet has been defeated would be nice.

Problem the second: I've fought and defeated like nine of those fleets before simultaneously. Again, some acknowledgement that the pirate fleet didn't really stand a chance against me would be nice. No, I'm not asking for such fleets to be adjusted to the player's level because I've yet to see any implementation of that mechanic work out. It'd be better if the pirate tried a different approach than threatening the doomfleet which singularly defeated said pirate's entire extended family in one battle.

After completing that mission I take a mission to rescue a kidnapped scientist. I'm presented with the possible offer of threatening the kidnapper, but only if I have a non-civilian capital ship in my fleet.

Problem the third: My various Atlas/Prometheus ships, if given Militarized Subsystems, simultaneously don't count as combat ships for this particular purpose while they do count against my skill caps. It's something that's been brought up before multiple times and something that I'm expecting will get addressed in some form or another, but I wanted to point it out as an outliner in case it end up mattering.

Problem the fourth: Again, I'm the captain that murdered nine pirate fleets simultaneously. Some acknowledgement that I'm not some nobody flying around in a Kite (S) would be nice.

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
Re: Academy mission inconsistencies
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 08:41:34 AM »

This can be chalked up to having the story quests being essentially an extension of the tutorial.

Lorewise, the events of the tutorial just happened a few days before you meet the provhost.

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
Re: Academy mission inconsistencies
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 10:39:37 AM »

Yeah, if you don't do those missions right away in a playthrough it feels like everyone else lives in an alternative universe where you aren't an extremely dangerous criminal with a penchant for recreational mass murder.
Not that I play like that of course officer, I'm an upstanding citizen of the sector who totally doesn't engage in organ trafficking.

I feel like the excessive amount of dialogue in every interaction reduces the variety of personalities the player character could have. Less words per answer, more different answers, that's the way of the RPG (though if you can afford both then by all means). Having certain amounts of resources and power and clout should let you cut through certain parts of the story, behaving more like a sponsor of the academy than like a "knee-breaker" as the High-But-Not-Tall Hegemon would say.
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates