Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: energy weapons: discuss  (Read 2890 times)

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
energy weapons: discuss
« on: April 09, 2012, 08:32:02 AM »

Finally got to the point where my fleet is relatively impressive and I noticed that what I had a big tendency in using was lasers and other energetic weapons

Currently my favorite ship being an Apogee Class with a tachyon lance a full set of LR laser PDs and two ion cannons...

I went only with that because i didn't really like the idea to be forced to retreat simply because my stupid ship ran out of ammo...

In the end i restarted again and again until I got myself a Wolf class frigate...

Anywho

Right now my fleet is soon gonna need a capital ship and I was thinking

"What the hell am I gonna field on it ?"

Recently I saw Some high intensity lasers and Plasma Cannons for sale

Considering I'm aiming at getting a Odyssee class what you guys be betting in your cases ?

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: energy weapons: discuss
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 10:38:29 AM »

The odyssey is a great ship, the flight deck is really useful and it can easily hold it's own against other ships. But the munition ships will be added in upcoming patches, probably to restock ships that run out of ammunition and to give lower tech ships more "staying power".

I think it just comes out to preference and gameplay type in the end. Personally I love using my Apogee's massive shield to ram into other ships, nudging them away from my Astral, while fighters and bombers swarm the other ships.

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 11:35:41 AM »

Currently my fleet count a LOT of Hangar ships, my current hangar count is 70+ wich is a wee bit overkill I guess and yet I dont have a single god damn capital ship...And I don't know if there's a capital ship I could want to replace my apogee as my flagship....I'll take the odyssee as a support ship
(unless I get one or two more tachyon lances in wich case this baby's gonna be MINE)

BTW you tried them large plasma cannons ? 75X3 on 800 range does seem fairly sweet...

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 11:48:22 AM »

id get the astral so there isnt a epic long queue to launch all those fighters....

the issue with the plasma cannon is mostly it takes alot of energy to fire =X generally i find that you have to out maneuvre the opponent so you can glide into range with the least resistance possible so you have as much flux as possible to shoot at the enemy with, as generally i find my reserves lacking if something tries to stop me on my way to the target.

OrangeLima

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 12:32:33 PM »

I find that if you put plasma cannons on a Odessye you should put them on alternative fire, you can double click if you want a proper both barrels burst, but it will make flux management with the weapon significantly easier.

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 02:58:11 PM »

Ehhh I never really liked the plasma cannon, way too much flux and doesn't seem like a lot of damage. When attacking Alien fleets (forgot which mod it is but it's in Omega's minimash) I simply park my Apogee in front of the Sentinel and allow it to waste all it's flux shooting at me(Does anyone else feel like the Apogee can just eat fire all day?). Then of course, here comes the dagger and trident spam when the shields are down.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 03:13:16 PM »

Does anyone else feel like the Apogee can just eat fire all day?

Yes, haha. I love that ship.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

ArthropodOfDoom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 03:33:03 PM »

*ahem* ODYSSEY ODYSSEY ODYSSEY ODYSSEY. IN THAT ORDER.

Take one as your commando ship, Plasma cannon'd up.
The other three can have Tachyon Lances and sit in a corner objective.
If you want, 3 Astrals in place of 3 Odysseys for super-fleet power.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.