Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: More ways for Alpha cores to go rogue  (Read 8581 times)

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
Re: More ways for Alpha cores to go rogue
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2021, 09:57:12 AM »

This could change eventually, but the lore of AI cores and the two AI Wars would have to be overhauled to even create the possibility of that. I would honestly really enjoy exploring the sector and actually coming into contact with an Omega-Core that wishes to enter a non-hostile, mutually beneficial relationship of some kind. That'd be a start.

Yeah, every bit of lore I found, even the ones added in this update point to the AI Wars as Tri Tachyon plots, that would remove a lot of autonomy from the mechanical fellows. The idea with an Omega core would be very fun, if your "alignment" towards AI changed how that interaction would play out it would be really cool. If they considered you useful means to their ends, then that would make most players and the AI see each other in the same way, that would be amusing.
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2021, 11:25:33 AM »

reading the op here made me install ai cores in all my colonies (so far i did not becasue of the hegemony story point tax) and i totally regret it.

yes, i make some more money now. yes, my colonies are a point more stable.
but: how much money do i need really? 300k/month, 500k/month, 1mil/month: why would it matter? bejond a certain point its not as if i have a lot to spend it on.
the real annoyance now are the sleeper cells. without a way to locate the bases and these having near infinite range, my colonies are effectivley worse off now then before AND i have to pay the hegemony tax. cant remove the cores, neither. plus: the sleepercells would stay anyway i guess.

so yeah. big remorse. i dont think there needs to be more annoyance with ai administrators as they already are plenty annoying.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2021, 01:32:26 PM »

plus: the sleepercells would stay anyway i guess.
No, pather cells dissolve if the colony is no longer interesting to them.

Rain

• Ensign
  • Burn bright!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2021, 01:46:58 PM »

What if an alpha core put in as an admin started giving you occasional 'missions' in exchange for its services and you had a relationship bar to cultivate with it, too, like personal contacts? I have to admit that I, too, think "Kill all humans" AI isn't necessarily the most interesting, nor did I ever really get that feel for that being how it things went down in-fiction either; the AI wars are so named for Tri-Tach using AI fleets, rather than all out AI uprisings against humanity, right? Did I understand it right in the end? Given how alpha cores are superhuman, might well know they're superhuman and start cultivating their own designs and quirks, these missions/requests for continued cooperation could be just about anything pulled from the pool the game currently has (Alpha Core works in mysterious ways, right?), perhaps themed to some preset grouping depending on a 'quirk' the AI core might get assigned upon getting slotted in, and then you could have the "all out AI uprising" as a consequence for the relationship falling to hostile through just consistently ignoring them rather than a statistical inevitability/chance.

And if you happen to use multiple Alpha admins, well, they could presumably communicate behind the scenes and present their (Combined? Unified but more onerous? Both?) 'requests' in unison, with the understanding that, of course, should their requests be ignored, they will have to do something to redress the situation together...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 01:50:46 PM by Rain »

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2021, 03:10:21 PM »

awsome, thank you

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2021, 04:39:37 PM »

awsome, thank you
Alpha core admin provides more than enough interest to plant a Pather cell on your colony.  After the core governs long enough, it becomes cursed and you cannot safely remove it yourself (without adding permanent -1 stability from rogue AI condition).  If you want the alpha core gone after it becomes sticky, then the only way to remove the core (without killing your colony) is to let Hegemony inspectors take your cores away.

And if you add another alpha admin back after big H removes the first sticky alpha, the next one becomes sticky immediately.
Pages: 1 [2]