Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: watching my ships stupidity is just to much.  (Read 3481 times)

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: watching my ships stupidity is just to much.
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 09:23:50 PM »

Here is the loadout of my pirate falcon
Spoiler
[close]

The PD's did it. Since ship has them it will focus its tactic on them as the main guns. They have base range of 400. Minus debuffs from the UI and ECM. In worst case scenario, ship will get stuck being incapable of actually getting into range of its main guns. Replace it with tac lasers. Throw ITU/Advanced Optics in and tell us what will happen.

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2021, 01:35:01 AM »

Already tried it without PDs as i mentioned, and ir didnt work like that. I saw somewhere that ships will not engagae if they have no PD beacuse of their fear of missiles. So i put on the PD but i still does not work. Maybe change them to burst PD lasers?

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2021, 07:04:23 AM »

To me, it looks like that ship would run out of sabots pretty quick and then not have much ability to raise the enemies flux. The AI generally bases its aggression on the relative flux levels, so if you can't raise the enemies flux, it will never do anything. I personally run medium sabot pods in the front hard points and missiles/torpedoes in the other slots. That seems to work for me, especially with eliminate orders.

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2021, 08:06:54 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

i like this fit a lot. still not sure if i really want these missiles. i just dont know what else to put there. it does not need sabots, and it will just waste torpedos usually. 5 dp per missile is quite hefty, maybe it was better spend on solar shielding.

that one heavy machine gun alone is enough to handle enemy flux even on very large targets. i experimented with two of them, but if i do that the enemy will never even raise shields and i dont want that. i rather have them use their shields so i can saturate their flux.
i also experimented with a dual flak to tear down hulls faster, but time to kill seemed worse and the ship can handle the flux of dual assault guns.

all in all a it works quite well - UNITLL it decides it rather not get into weapon range. that happens a lot. even if the enemy does not seem to have the fire power to raise flux vs the passive vent from shield skill.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 08:12:31 AM by Rauschkind »

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2021, 08:39:22 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

i like this fit a lot. still not sure if i really want these missiles. i just dont know what else to put there. it does not need sabots, and it will just waste torpedos usually. 5 dp per missile is quite hefty, maybe it was better spend on solar shielding.

that one heavy machine gun alone is enough to handle enemy flux even on very large targets. i experimented with two of them, but if i do that the enemy will never even raise shields and i dont want that. i rather have them use their shields so i can saturate their flux.
i also experimented with a dual flak to tear down hulls faster, but time to kill seemed worse and the ship can handle the flux of dual assault guns.

all in all a it works quite well - UNITLL it decides it rather not get into weapon range. that happens a lot. even if the enemy does not seem to have the fire power to raise flux vs the passive vent from shield skill.

I mean 72 speed really isn't a lot to work with for a SO ship that needs to close to 400 range. For reference, even an enforcer has 60 base speed. There's no way the AI can close most gaps with that speed in a meaningful time. What you have there is purely a cruiser+ killer and it will fail to chase anything destroyer and smaller.

You also have to take into account the 0-flux boost. A ship that needs to close a gap have to do so with a -50 speed penalty at all times since it can't take advantage of zero flux boost due to having to keep shields up to block incoming fire. The enemy, in the meanwhile, will be shield down and moving faster

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2021, 08:40:44 AM »

Already tried it without PDs as i mentioned, and ir didnt work like that. I saw somewhere that ships will not engagae if they have no PD beacuse of their fear of missiles. So i put on the PD but i still does not work. Maybe change them to burst PD lasers?

AI tries to dodge any incoming missile/rocket. PD is needed to destroy them so AI can push forward. However, you have yourself a nice boat and you need to force it into battle. For that you need to have actual guns on it. So your ship will try to get into guns range. But basic PD laser have only 400 of it. Put there something with noticeably longer range. Tac laser is a perfect choice. W.o. guns your boat checks Remnant's uber HE resistant shield against frontal reapers and nopes itself out of equation since its a strike weapon and target has huge flux pool.

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2021, 08:47:27 AM »

I mean 72 speed really isn't a lot to work with for a SO ship that needs to close to 400 range. For reference, even an enforcer has 60 base speed. There's no way the AI can close most gaps with that speed in a meaningful time. What you have there is purely a cruiser+ killer and it will fail to chase anything destroyer and smaller.

You also have to take into account the 0-flux boost. A ship that needs to close a gap have to do so with a -50 speed penalty at all times since it can't take advantage of zero flux boost due to having to keep shields up to block incoming fire. The enemy, in the meanwhile, will be shield down and moving faster

safety overrides mean the 0 flux bonus will be always active. its also 78 speed, so 130 + navigation bonus  ~ 140
granted. its not the fastest build, but it should be fast enough to catch most things. especially as i  usually team it up with this:
Spoiler
[close]

i also see it not getting into range against much slower targets. i dont think the speed is the source of the issue.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 08:52:14 AM by Rauschkind »

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2021, 09:06:26 AM »

You need the very noticeable speed advantage to make it count. And SO is not unique to your fleet. Everybody use it. Same goes for the elite Helmsmanship. It no longer the 0.91.

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2021, 09:37:41 AM »

yeah. whatever. its not designed to kill frigates.
again: i see this against much slower targets. speed is not the reason. they are perfectly capable to stay *just* outside weapon range then. this requires range control, too ;)
Pages: 1 [2]