Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Has anyone actually used up their bonus XP at max level?  (Read 3316 times)

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
Has anyone actually used up their bonus XP at max level?
« on: April 18, 2021, 12:54:10 PM »

I'm really struggling to use up bonus xp when I hit level 15. I have SP for building in hullmods, but I don't see me being able to use the bonus xp from integrating them anytime soon.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone actually used up their bonus XP at max level?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 01:03:09 PM »

A couple of important points: did you start your character prior to -RC12? If so, you're going to have *way* more bonus XP -several times over - from spending story points than a character that was started on RC12. Also: did you tweak the max level via settings? If so: this will increase both the amount of bonus XP you have and the amount required per story point once you reach max level.

Okay

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 02:34:59 PM »

I too, have way too much bonus exp for bonus experience to feel like it matters that much post level 15. Game started on RC12. I still have quite a few SP stocked up too.

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 04:19:09 PM »

A couple of important points: did you start your character prior to -RC12? If so, you're going to have *way* more bonus XP -several times over - from spending story points than a character that was started on RC12. Also: did you tweak the max level via settings? If so: this will increase both the amount of bonus XP you have and the amount required per story point once you reach max level.

File started under RC12 with an untweaked curve.

I have ~10 million bonus xp. I also have another 10 million upon reaching max level(again). Nexerelin does give me extra *points*, but the level up requirement is still 4 million.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 04:24:59 PM »

Also on RC 12, 13.6 million bonus points and I still have 21 story points to spend.

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 04:28:16 PM »

Huh, I figured it was just me playing without a combat focus that resulted in bonus xp surpluses.

I feel like bonus xp can be more rewarding if stockpiling more of it meant it was burnt through faster.

BreekiJack

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 04:13:56 AM »

I might sound stupid but i really don't get what bonus XP actually does. I understand that you get 4 story points each level, okay. Then, when you use a story point, it displays an amount of percentage of bonus XP : what does it do ? How do you use bonus XP ?
I'm reading the description ingame but it still makes no sense to me...

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 04:18:39 AM »

I might sound stupid but i really don't get what bonus XP actually does. I understand that you get 4 story points each level, okay. Then, when you use a story point, it displays an amount of percentage of bonus XP : what does it do ? How do you use bonus XP ?
Bonus xp doubles your xp gain, basically. Gain 400 xp from salvaging something? If you have the bonus xp saved up you'll get up to 800 xp total instead.

BreekiJack

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 04:59:49 AM »

Bonus xp doubles your xp gain, basically. Gain 400 xp from salvaging something? If you have the bonus xp saved up you'll get up to 800 xp total instead.

Oh ok, but how do you gain that bonus XP ? Spending story points ? Therefore what does the % represents ?

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 05:05:06 AM »

Oh ok, but how do you gain that bonus XP ? Spending story points ? Therefore what does the % represents ?
Using story points is indeed how you get bonus xp, unless you do something which explicitly does not grant bonus XP (which can be represented by something giving 0% bonus xp). Exactly what the % means I'm not sure myself to be honest, I just know that bigger number = more bonus xp.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 05:12:02 AM »

XP gives story points, and story points give bonus XP. It's a powerful cycle, so be sure to spend those story points!

Razor Feather

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 07:12:34 AM »

The percentage of bonus xp that you gain from using a story point is a percentage of the xp cost of a point. So at max level, where each level is 4 million xp and you get a total of 4 story points over that period, the % is of 1 million bonus xp. So an action that gives 50% bonus xp will give you 500k, and one that gives 100% will give you an even million.

It can be seen as a long run discount on the story point expenditure, since if you start with 0 bonus xp and zero progress towards the next point, and spend a story point with 100% bonus xp, then, when you have gained 1 million base xp, all of your bonus xp will be gone and you will have two story points, where you otherwise would have just one. The higher the bonus xp, the "cheaper" the story point cost is, when all is said and done.

The only quibble I have with the current system is that it isn't too hard to run a bonus xp surplus. If you spend story points with on average over 50% bonus xp, you won't actually ever run out of bonus xp, as you gain a new story point before actually running out of the bonus xp from the last one, and so your bonus xp total can grow and grow, and those higher bonus xp values end up not really meaning anything, since you never really collect all the bonus xp. Admittedly though this does discourage spamming the "get out of a jam free card" story point uses, since over using them compared to things like capital ship build ins and colony improvements eventually makes them cost more in a sense, which may be a good thing in the end.

What I would love though is more opportunities to spend story points on finding blueprints and pointers to other shiny exploration things. My current game has gotten to the point where there isn't much of interest left, so finding anything new is really difficult, and I'd love to be able to pay to get pointed in the right direction more frequently.