Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.95.1a is out! (12/10/21); Blog post: Hyperspace Topography (10/12/22)

Author Topic: Are Gunnery Implants working correctly?  (Read 856 times)

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
Are Gunnery Implants working correctly?
« on: April 18, 2021, 01:31:43 AM »

Before posting as a bug, I wanted to make sure I understood how range modifiers are calculated.  The situation I tried myself is a simple one, Unstable Injectors and Gunnery Implants vs a Stock setup on a Paragon (so it has +100% to weapon range from the Advanced Targeting Core).  It looks like Gunnery Implants are only adding 1/2 of the 15% bonus, so it doesn't counter the negative effects of Unstable Injectors; nor do you get 15% additional range without Unstable injectors, at least on the Paragon.

Paragon with Tachyon Lances (1000 range default)
Stock: ~2000 units
Unstable Injector: ~1700 units (about what is expected - 2000 * 0.85)
Gunnery Implants: ~2150 units (half of 15%, which is unexpected on my behalf)
Unstable Injector & Gunnery Implants: ~1825 units (this looks to be the range of 2150 * 0.85)

I measured the length of the firing arc with a ruler, and then scaled by a constant (eg stock range was 18.2cm, and since the range should be 2000, 2000/1820 gives a constant to scale the results).

The best way I can make sense of it is that Gunnery Implants isn't compounding with the Advanced Targeting Core of the Paragon and just adds a flat range calculated from the base range of the weapon.

Murphy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Are Gunnery Implants working correctly?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 01:34:01 AM »

It's right there in the tips. "Percentage bonuses are additive, while penalties are usually multiplicative."

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 01:54:39 AM »

It's right there in the tips. "Percentage bonuses are additive, while penalties are usually multiplicative."
Thank you; I'm glad now I didn't post this in the bug section, but can that piece of information be located from the Refit screen?

It would also be really neat to incorporate weapon ranges due to hull mods when mousing over a weapon equipped on a ship, eg Range: 2150(+1150), or maybe putting the modifier (+115%) under the Combat Readiness tab (though I guess it doesn't really fit under that description unless CR would effect weapon range as well).

Lorebot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 02:40:03 AM »

From my experience any bonus are applied using the base value of the stat it's enhancing, while penalties are applied at the end of the calculation.

So your Paragon with Gunnery Implants is doubling the base range and then adding 15% of the base range, 1000 + (1000*1) + (1000*.15) = 2150.
The penalty is applied after all the bonuses, so 2150*.85=1825 for what you saw with Unstable Injector & Gunnery Implants.

I agree that the game should update tooltips on weapons to reflect mods and officer bonuses in the fitting screen. It updates the ship stats, but not the tooltips on weapons and that is extremely frustrating.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 02:43:55 AM by Lorebot »