Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [0.95a-rc12] Smugglers' Tricks  (Read 10274 times)

Morrow

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.95a-rc12] Smugglers' Tricks
« on: April 17, 2021, 10:26:34 PM »

Heya all!

I've been trying to play a smuggling run and found it was essentially impossible to smuggle goods into some areas.  So, to expand on what feels like a underdeveloped part of the game I've started this.  Currently it's just one quick change but if I find more stuff I'd like or cool suggestions I'll try to add them as well.

Currently the mod changes hacking a sensor array to stop the effect rather than gain the effect for yourself.  This will allow you to hack the sensor array and then try to sneak onto the planet.

Compatible with a surprising amount of mods.  Haven't tried it but 99.9% sure it's not compatible with Nexerelin.

Download!

Huge shout out to Histidine for the help and credit to Nexerelin for some of the code.
Discord: Morrow#1453

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a-rc12] Smugglers' Tricks
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 10:19:44 AM »

Is there a timer for the Hack to be removed?

Morrow

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 02:50:37 PM »

Is there a timer for the Hack to be removed?

It uses the in-built "hacked" variable which has a timer of 3ish months to be removed.  I've tested it in my playthrough and can confirm it gets removed as it's supposed to.
Discord: Morrow#1453

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 07:25:46 AM »

Shoutout to IonDragonX whose replies have led me back to this lovely little mod and it just so happens I'm not playing with Nex! WIll let you know if there's any issues after I right the mod compatibility to RC15!
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 05:27:13 PM »

Oh hey, this is already implementing the thing I thought was original :P. Kudos to you Morrow! Now to DL...

Kayse

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 07:17:22 PM »

I couldn't seem to get this working in 0.95a-rc15, even after disabling "Nexerelin" and "Terraforming and Station Construction". I even disabled every mod except for this one, and it still didn't seem to work.

I tested via creating a new campaign, commissioning with the Hegemony in Corvus, hacking and seeing if the Sensor Array tooltip went away from Sensor Strength (it didn't). In every case, the text was giving me the mod's prompt from rules.csv to damper the sensor array via hacking, but after hacking I kept the full bonus and tool tip.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if I'm misunderstanding what the mod is intended to do. :/

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 07:32:55 PM »

commissioning with the Hegemony in Corvus, hacking and seeing if the Sensor Array tooltip went away from Sensor Strength (it didn't). In every case, the text was giving me the mod's prompt from rules.csv to damper the sensor array via hacking, but after hacking I kept the full bonus and tool tip.
Ooooh. That must be a bug. When you are commissioned, you are technically gaining benefit of 2 factions. I'd guess that, in your situation, hacking the sensor array of the faction you commissioned with won't display for you because your fleet are player faction.
Give it a try without the commission.

Kayse

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 08:22:43 PM »

commissioning with the Hegemony in Corvus, hacking and seeing if the Sensor Array tooltip went away from Sensor Strength (it didn't). In every case, the text was giving me the mod's prompt from rules.csv to damper the sensor array via hacking, but after hacking I kept the full bonus and tool tip.
Ooooh. That must be a bug. When you are commissioned, you are technically gaining benefit of 2 factions. I'd guess that, in your situation, hacking the sensor array of the faction you commissioned with won't display for you because your fleet are player faction.
Give it a try without the commission.
If I don't have a Hegemony commission, I cannot positively verify that the sensor array bonus is there or not since the game won't let me hack a sensor array that is already mine. :P

I attempted a crude fix on my version of the mod by changing the code on line 43 of Morrow_SensorArrayEntityPlugin.java from:

Code
	public boolean canReceiveBonus(CampaignFleetAPI fleet) {
if (fleet.getFaction() == entity.getFaction() && !isHacked())
return true;
if (fleet.getFaction().isPlayerFaction()) {
if (entity.getFaction() == Misc.getCommissionFaction()) return true;
}

return false;
}
to:
Code
	public boolean canReceiveBonus(CampaignFleetAPI fleet) {
if (fleet.getFaction() == entity.getFaction() && !isHacked())
return true;
if (fleet.getFaction().isPlayerFaction() && !isHacked()) {
if (entity.getFaction() == Misc.getCommissionFaction()) return true;
}

return false;
}

Which should disable the sensor bonus for the player when the sensor is hacked (not just the NPCs, which the first if statement is handling). Checking on my Corvus world, and it now does. Huzzah.

Assuming the first post's description is the intended behavior (hacking means turning off the bonus instead of you the player gaining the bonus), that code change should bring it in line with that description.

Edit: Now that I can explicitly confirm if the mod is working with other mods, it seems to be surprisingly compatible, seeming to work just fine with Nexerelin and "Terraforming and Station Construction". The TASC surprised me, since that one explicitly modifies arrays to allow the player to upgrade them to Domain versions. This information is just my quick observations, provided without warranty, void where prohibited. :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 08:34:33 PM by Kayse »

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 07:31:33 AM »

Assuming the first post's description is the intended behavior (hacking means turning off the bonus instead of you the player gaining the bonus), that code change should bring it in line with that description.
Edit: Now that I can explicitly confirm if the mod is working with other mods, it seems to be surprisingly compatible, seeming to work just fine with Nexerelin and "Terraforming and Station Construction". The TASC surprised me, since that one explicitly modifies arrays to allow the player to upgrade them to Domain versions. This information is just my quick observations, provided without warranty, void where prohibited. :)
Hey! Thanks! I've installed your fix on my own copy. I believe that you are correct about the intended effect.

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 08:28:03 PM »

Smugglers' Tricks, eh?

I wonder if something like this would be possible: an ability you activate on the map, which consumes some kind of custom resource (like how Neutrino Detector uses up Volatiles) and after a week of in game time it causes a massive sensor ghost that attracts the attention of patrols across the system to where it was set off. Drawing them away from whatever it was you were trying to sneak to.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 08:33:20 PM by Oni »

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 08:34:52 PM »

I feel like the hack should both give the player the benefit and reduce it for the controller. Just cuz, sometimes u wanna still want the benefit it gives for yourself. Keeps it more flexible

Smugglers' Tricks, eh?

I wonder if something like this would be possible: an ability you activate on the map, which consumes some kind of custom resource (like how Neutrino Detector uses up Volatiles) and after a week of in game time it causes a massive sensor ghost that attracts the attention of patrols across the system to where it was set off. Drawing them away from whatever it was you were trying to sneak to.

u can do that by turning on transponder & doing a sensor burst then running/sneaking away
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 07:42:45 PM »

.... u can do that by turning on transponder & doing a sensor burst then running/sneaking away
Not really the same, doing that just means that by the time you sneak around back to the planet you were trying to get to (and possibly shake the patrol off your tail) the patrol has finished investigating and is back to spinning circles around your target. A delayed distraction let's you time things to be in the right place to actually take advantage of it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 07:57:13 PM by Oni »

Phantasia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Smugglers' Tricks
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2022, 10:19:04 PM »

Apologies if this is a distasteful necro.
It's worth noting that this mod is safe to add but not safe to remove (causes a CTD when trying to load a save when this mod was previously enabled).
Oh and since I'm already posting on my end it seems to be working fine in 0.95.1a.

FluxEnthusiast

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2023, 08:55:19 PM »

Does this still work on 0.96?