Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Black Market Weapons Dealers Suck  (Read 3438 times)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Black Market Weapons Dealers Suck
« on: April 17, 2021, 01:32:32 PM »

They charge triple price, and the ships still have d-mods. I honestly don't really see a good reason to ever use them for ships, and since one of the hotfixes improved weapon availability, that hasn't been an issue for me either. The only ships you won't find reliably by mid game are heavy cruisers or capital ships where the 300% mark up is super painful. Do people find them useful?

NaniByte

• Ensign
  • Why are you here? Where will you go?
    • View Profile
Re: Black Market Weapons Dealers Suck
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 01:38:23 PM »

I agree with 300% markup it's easier to just build a colony. Never felt compelled to use it.
We look like we are fighting each other, but really we are fighting ourselves.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 01:49:26 PM »

They are very nice for rare weapons, but not for ships. In my case I have not found a heavy needler variant, but the arms dealers have them. Colonies give so much money that I don't care about the 300% markup and just buy lots of HNs.

TottiTheTurtle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 01:52:56 PM »

I find them quite useful, but only for relatively small orders, like up to a cruiser. They are especially good for weapons and wings, since they don't require you to have the blueprints for the order. You can order mjölnirs without having the blueprint for example.

I think its a good tradeoff. The other weapon dealer with 130% price increase only lets you order stuff you have blueprints for.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 02:27:40 PM »

If the ships were of the more rare variety it would be better. But it seems hard pressed to use them for ships when you could easily buy a version on the regular market.

The black market ships should almost exclusively be the rare/skinned variants. Let me get my hand on an LP brawler or a hegemony aux transport or an Odyssey or a XIV ship.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 02:45:06 PM »

I've got a few TODO items to make these better, yeah. They could stand to both be more easily found, and to offer more of a variety early on. A very high-importance one will have access to just about everything, and you'd have less of a markup if you had good standing with them, but that's a bit hard to get to - especially in the early/midgame where they'd ideally be most useful. So, I think the way they're tuned now, they're not quite doing their job.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 09:54:35 PM »

I think they produce the ships based on the faction's doctrine and industrial capabilities. So it is not about the price. At least ships from the TT contact were pristine. Pirate ones though... Perfect derelict contingent material. Not sure is this only faction or planet is important too because it was pirate contact on the pather planet while ships from a pirate on the pirate planet were noticeably better.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 10:43:14 PM »

the price is fine

Exsam

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 07:59:41 AM »

I couldn't find any damn Harbingers but a friendly Arms Dealer was able to hook me up for the right amount of credits.

Phenir

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 12:07:13 PM »

I use them to make a couple atlas. Prometheus is usually readily available on open market on bigger colonies but it's hard to find any atlas.

Okay

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 02:45:50 PM »

They are pretty useful for rarer weapons especially early on. At worst if I don't want anything, buying a single super cheap weapon is worth it for the free rep. Never bought a ship through them though.