Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Low tech is being left behind!  (Read 6150 times)

prav

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Low tech is being left behind!
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2021, 09:02:40 AM »

1. the new skill system does not favour low tech. Energy weapons mastery and wolfpack tactics are two very strong skills that low tech cannot utilize in almost any way.

Not to mention Systems Expertise, an extremely potent skill that happens to be a complete waste on Burn Drive ship like the Dominator and Onslaught.

It does make the Mora even more obnoxious though, I'll give it that.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2021, 11:03:39 AM »

Low Tech could definitely use some more interesting systems. Maybe even weird stuff like phase "depth" charges or throwing out solid barriers that get in the way of enemy fire.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2021, 11:13:20 AM »

More interesting systems or more interesting weapons.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2021, 04:23:10 PM »

I'm doing a "low-tech" run right now, mostly because I found a Legion XIV within the first hour of gameplay and thought to myself "Why not?" Now I have a Mora, an Enforcer and 2 Hammerheads with a Centurion and I've gone in Industry to remove D-mods because I do lose ships (but not that often!)

The thing that I'm finding is that if I really lean into the Low-Tech doctrine and bake-in Heavy Armor/Reinforced Bulkheads, throw on Blast Doors, etc., they're extremely tough ships to take down and the AI does ok with them. I'm probably punching above my weight right now because I have a capital but I've been very pleased with how the fleet is doing and I normally go Midline/High Tech. I look forward to getting an Onslaught and really kitting it out.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2021, 04:30:24 PM »

Something I found to really help with a low tech run FooF was getting some thunders in carriers. Really helps to cover for the enemy having better frigates.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2021, 05:28:31 PM »

Low Tech could definitely use some more interesting systems. Maybe even weird stuff like phase "depth" charges or throwing out solid barriers that get in the way of enemy fire.

Agreed. Cool ideas, too

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2021, 12:38:22 PM »

Currently at the end of my second campaign, my fleet has 2 Onslaught XIV and 1 Mora. These are worth 100 DP, while other military ships are worth 160 DP, including a Paragon and an Odyssey. Granted, all frigates are high-tech: 1 Hyperion, 1 Scarab, 4 Wolves. Also 1 Medusa.

Earlier during that campaign, I had an Enforcer (which I kept a long time), 2 Condors (replaced by Mora quite early), 1 Dominator XIV and 1 regular Dominator (replaced by first Onslaught XIV). So personally I consider low-tech viable up to this point, and I mix all tech types differently depending on mood and what ships I obtain after battle and while shopping.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2021, 01:23:28 PM »

I'm currently flying a Prometheus Mk2 with Assault Package (and Auxiliary Support). I've mounted twin HILs on it to pressure enemies into keeping their shields up while my needlers and longbow wing saturate them in kinetics, the Xyphos laying down EMP as the flux increases. It's a funny ship configuration but no idea if it'd still be worth using without Auxiliary Support being glitched (at least some of the bonuses don't actually scale down to your DP amount so this P2 has double hull strength and is stupidly hard to kill, probably has double flux capacity and dissipation too).
Pages: 1 2 [3]