Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

You end up in an endless war with Hegemony?

Yes
- 21 (41.2%)
No
- 30 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: May 01, 2021, 03:52:42 AM

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Does everyone end up in an endless war with Hegemony?  (Read 7287 times)

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Does everyone end up in an endless war with Hegemony?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2021, 11:55:36 AM »

I remember when I read source code during 0.9.1a, pathers had the ability to smuggle planet busters into your colony to completely destroy it. This isn't actually in the game now, right? Would be hard to ignore them if it eventually escalated to that.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2021, 12:04:58 PM »

I remember when I read source code during 0.9.1a, pathers had the ability to smuggle planet busters into your colony to completely destroy it. This isn't actually in the game now, right? Would be hard to ignore them if it eventually escalated to that.
I am...pretty sure that's an idea that was never actually implemented. I mean pathers were bugged in 0.9.1 so they never accomplished anything anyway, but that just sounds like it'd open up a can of worms the game doesn't have the right can opener for. And if it thinks it does than guess who's going to set pather interest levels to all 9s...

Anvel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2021, 01:45:21 PM »

I am...pretty sure that's an idea that was never actually implemented. I mean pathers were bugged in 0.9.1 so they never accomplished anything anyway, but that just sounds like it'd open up a can of worms the game doesn't have the right can opener for. And if it thinks it does than guess who's going to set pather interest levels to all 9s...
That's would be interesting indeed, as is if they bother you just blow that station ones per year, especially easy if all your planets in the same system. By the way, I wouldn't mind if AI admins sent come kind of rescue signal to their alpha mates.

rabbistern

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2021, 09:26:15 PM »

it cant be an endless war if the hegemony colonies were to, lets say, be eaten by their own chaos inside if such a thing as, for example, a prolonged "technical difficulty" with their spaceports were to occur yaknow?

Ramiel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2021, 09:35:13 PM »

Why would you keep the Hegemony alive?

Anvel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2021, 11:58:40 PM »

Why would you keep the Hegemony alive?
Because even if hostile they increase your colony income, well in previous versions I raided some of their colonies to -50 stability too.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2021, 02:20:57 AM »

Have you tried not breaking the law? It's completely possible to set up profitable, high custom production cap colonies without AI cores or even colony skills. AI cores let you do the impossible, but the humble capabilities of regular human beings will still produce more than enough fruit to live on.

ShpunkY

• Lieutenant
  • Just another piece of ***
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2021, 03:15:15 AM »

you're asking too much from people who commit warcrimes for a bit of cash

Ramiel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2021, 07:50:32 AM »

Because even if hostile they increase your colony income, well in previous versions I raided some of their colonies to -50 stability too.
[/quote]
Really? I thought  only friendly merchant fleets increased your income?

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2021, 08:01:09 AM »

Really? I thought  only friendly merchant fleets increased your income?

I'm fairly sure that's how it is, you always get a -accessibility for hostility to a faction, and its larger or smaller depending how many markets the faction has.

Accessibility= cash moneh  8)
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

Harabeck

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2021, 08:28:51 AM »

I'm not through with this playthrough, but so far all I've just gotten a few raids whining about my exports. Most of them were outmatched or evenly matched by my level high tech station. No AI cores, but I'm at 100% ship quality and making a tidy profit with the help of a few other artifacts. I've recently got battlestations for my two important colonies, so I'm hopeful I won't need to baby sit them very often. Using AI cores has consequences, and they are not required. IMO, that makes them more interesting. They're a little too easy to get otherwise.

If you just want to bang your head against Hegemony because you refuse not to use them, that's on you for not acknowledging the game as it is, instead of what you'd like in your head. I like that the game has meaningful choices and look forward to exploring them a bit. Maybe my next character will be a Tritac officer who assembles an AI fleet and crams as many alphas as possible into his colonies. It will feel very different from my current playthrough and that's pretty cool!

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2021, 10:11:00 AM »

Adding more and interesting ways to indulge in some good ol' governmental corruption and bribing would be nice.
If you are buddies with a high level contact maybe they could use their leverage so inspections get off your back, it could require a high reputation with the hegemony.
Story points are a little too "use for everything" right now, its nice to have the option to use them in an emergency but other alternatives should be present for many given interactions.

If this game starts giving more weight to reputation and interactions, then its more lackluster part which is campaign might start shining very quickly.  It would add further weight to when, why and how you get into the wonderful combat engagements.

But yeah, as things stand, don't use AI unless you are ready to rumble. Administrators are far more reasonable nowadays I've found though.
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

NoMercyForLudds_

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2021, 03:45:27 PM »

AI inspections are a nuisance, like everything else: pirate raids, pather cells, trade fleets being taken down by everybody hostile, etc. Just deal with it, like you do with everything else, one way or another. If you don't want to fight, rush back to your colony and temporarely remove the AI cores. I personally prefer to fight - just don't like anybody telling what not to do (that's why every 'fast picket' that demands me to turn on my transponder dies - friend or foe, I don't care!)

But in general, I feel Starsector would be ok/complete without the colony mechanic. Look at the story, it refers to you as a captain even if you own half of economic production in the sector.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2021, 04:00:37 PM »

Note:  they can tell when you yank all the cores.

Kpop

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2021, 05:04:59 PM »

If you just want to bang your head against Hegemony because you refuse not to use them, that's on you for not acknowledging the game as it is, instead of what you'd like in your head. I like that the game has meaningful choices and look forward to exploring them a bit. Maybe my next character will be a Tritac officer who assembles an AI fleet and crams as many alphas as possible into his colonies. It will feel very different from my current playthrough and that's pretty cool!

You make it sound like its difficult. If you set up your colonies at the proper time when you are already strong with some cash to burn and turn that into self-sufficiency with good income. Well Hedge can't really stand a chance as you approach doomstack status and burn their worlds.
Pages: 1 [2] 3