Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Developing contacts further  (Read 1446 times)

jwarper

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Developing contacts further
« on: April 16, 2021, 11:41:17 AM »

Currently, developing contacts leads to increasingly lucrative missions, etc based on the contact importance.  I feel contacts could serve a lot more uses, such as averting inspection fleets/expeditions from their own faction.  The price of averting could be calculated based on the fleet size vs Contact rep/importance level/profession.  This would put more incentive on developing certain contacts over others.

It might also make more sense to allow the player to communicate with the preferred contacts through the UI, at least if they are somewhere near a commsat.  Having to visit the planet of the contact every time would become more and more tedious as the player interacts with them more. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 02:14:44 PM by jwarper »

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
Re: Developing contacts further
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 01:10:20 PM »

That definitely sounds pretty cool, would make them actually appealing.

Imagine getting the chief AI inspector as a contact, you build up relationships by going around seizing AI cores and turning them in, fighting remnants and derelicts here and there, how could they possibly suspect you.  ;D

-Hey Captain, what's up?
-Hey Fred, would you mind telling these subordinates of yours to sod off?
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 10:43:14 AM »

Imagine getting the chief AI inspector as a contact, you build up relationships by going around seizing AI cores and turning them in, fighting remnants and derelicts here and there, how could they possibly suspect you.  ;D

This is the awesomest idea ever. Bonus points if he can point you to suspected AI cores to raid off enemy markets.

Trensicourt

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 01:32:12 PM »

Contacts should allow you to do those things and more, such as referring to a higher level contact. I am always frustrated how it's by chance that I can get a mission that may allow me to get a very high level contact. It would be amazing if once I reach 75+ relation with my contact, there is a chance they may give me a very high contact referral or a mission to get that referral. I should have the choice of investing in my current contact to guarantee a higher level contact or just go visit planets by chance.