Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Author Topic: [0.97a] Quality Captains: A Skill Rework - Now with perks! v1.6.0  (Read 206326 times)

Dal

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Quality Captains: A Skill Rework v1.0.4
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2021, 12:00:43 AM »

Dunno if it's an oversight or deliberate, but Alpha core administrators have regular (Non-elite) versions of colony skills which makes them somewhat worse than hired admins.

Going to look into this for the next version. It's not intended, but if there isn't an easy way to upgrade the cores I'm okay with them just having the full set of base skills. Gives a nice distinction between generalization and specialization.

very good mod
but I have a question
can I make it that only my character has the modification
I want to make an op playthrough but when I tried every captain had the edited values

Excepting a few of the unique skills, NPCs have access to all the ones you have. That's part of the fun.

Would enjoy more options in the settings for reverting specific skills to their vanilla versions, especially the damage bonuses from Strike Commander and Wolfpack tactics.

Raw damage bonuses have a tendency to shatter Starsector's gameplay, so QC will have fewer, not greater, damage bonuses. Where they've been replaced they have generally been replaced with abilities that make it easier to land damage on targets, which is about as good while keeping the game's core mechanics intact.

yes please. I would love to just disable the tiers and wraparound. I don't need the skills overhauled at all. Maybe just to fiddle with the values.

You can achieve this with just the optional no-tiers skill_data.csv file. Either delete everything else in the mod and extract it at the mod's data folder, or modify your game's skill_data.csv in your favorite text editor so that all skills are tier 1.

notabot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2021, 08:24:18 AM »

You can achieve this with just the optional no-tiers skill_data.csv file. Either delete everything else in the mod and extract it at the mod's data folder, or modify your game's skill_data.csv in your favorite text editor so that all skills are tier 1.

yeah I ended up going with option two. Just that core-modding is often frowned upon in these communities, mostly for good reasons. Anyway I noticed something when you remove the tier pairings either manually or with the mod: There's now enough space left for a whole extra skill on each lane :O oh the possibilities. I'll definitely be revisiting this mod once I've had a few proper goes at the vanilla skills. Perhaps you might have a surprise for us, of the "brand-new-customizable-tier-eleven-skill" variety by then? ;) thank you and one last question. Would it be possible to revert individual skills to vanilla by just deleting the corresponding .skill file from the mod?

Caypbaron

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2021, 09:02:27 AM »

´Just wanted to thank you for the mod.

Before using it i always had a clear, which i considered optimal, skill path- Not following it, felt like hindering myself. But sadly this also included picking up certain prerequisite skills, which i didn´t particularly want or need.

Now i´m more tempted and able to try out varied skill builds.

Enjoying it so far, greatly.

Blacknsilver

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2021, 11:57:52 PM »

I gotta say, I was wrong about this mod. 

I assumed it would be way worse than the default skills. But then I tried it and it's amazing how much the game is improved by something as small as a skill re-rework. 

With default skills, I feel like I have to pick the same things every game- speed, cargo space, 10% fleet damage, all the tech stuff up to [+1 s-mod] and so on. 

But with this mod, there are actual choices to make. The first few levels are similar but afterwards? I feel like I can pick anything. And my runs feel totally different. 

Ironically, it seems that railroading players into "you must choose 1 of these 2 skills" has resulted in the opposite of what the developers intended. At least that's my experience with the skill rework vs this mod.   

Big kudos to the author(s). I apologize for underestimating you, you clearly knew what you were doing when you created this mod.

Kesh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2021, 05:35:38 AM »

As I am already in the late game, and want to get a [RADACTED] capital and Quite a strong one, so I tried editing in the settings.json file so that Id have a max value of 50 automated points. But the max value doesn't change. I tried making the QC_AUTOMATED_THRESHOLD_DIVISOR to 4 with a battle size of 200 to have 200/4= 50, it doesn't really affect the skill. What can I do to adjust the max value?

Ramdat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2021, 11:48:28 AM »

As I am already in the late game, and want to get a [RADACTED] capital and Quite a strong one, so I tried editing in the settings.json file so that Id have a max value of 50 automated points. But the max value doesn't change. I tried making the QC_AUTOMATED_THRESHOLD_DIVISOR to 4 with a battle size of 200 to have 200/4= 50, it doesn't really affect the skill. What can I do to adjust the max value?
At the top of the file, change QC_CUSTOM_TECHNOLOGY to true.

Redeye43

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2021, 12:35:50 PM »

Sensors and Navigation seem to be broken - I just can't alter them no matter what I do, I've even tried poking around in the source and recompiling the .jar with manually altered default values, but they're pegged at default. Nothing I do makes them change. Any idea what's up?

EDIT: Problem was already solved prior. Just go to the .skill files and change Sensors to CaptainsSensors and Navigation to CaptainsNavigation.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 12:59:02 PM by Redeye43 »

michail

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2021, 01:24:55 PM »

Wolfpack tactics' elite speed bonus seems to apply regardless of whether the skill is actually elite. Doesn't appear to be a display bug, one of the two really is faster in the simulation.

edit: no, wait, it might still be display bug: there's a zero-flux bonus too

Spoiler

Fresh start, normal WPT.

Officered overdriven Kite, 200 speed.

Unofficered overdriven Kite, 190 speed.

Reassigning the officer brings it up to 200 speed.

The officered one gets ahead in a race a bit (moving to a side because of the initial vertical formation).
[close]
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 01:27:03 PM by michail »

PreConceptor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2021, 08:23:42 PM »

Found a bug: custom values for Officer Management don't seem to work. Yes custom values is on, Officer Training custom values work fine.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 08:32:24 PM by PreConceptor »

PeachPatrol

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2021, 03:25:54 PM »

Raw damage bonuses have a tendency to shatter Starsector's gameplay, so QC will have fewer, not greater, damage bonuses. Where they've been replaced they have generally been replaced with abilities that make it easier to land damage on targets, which is about as good while keeping the game's core mechanics intact.
When I just installed I was reluctant, but after playing a bit with your mod I have to agree this is the way to go.

Some other things that came up: I wanted to have missile specialization provide 0 ammo bonus, but the value wasn't valid. I guess 1% works? I ran into this with a lot of other values, trying to set them to 0. Not sure what technical limitations there are on your side, but at least there could be a comment in the options file that a minimum value is required (for the convenience of editing).

Also, setting nav rating and ECM to hullmods only is an interesting choice, but it would be nice if there were some new effects so the two skills wouldn't be 'duds' in this configuration.

This is a well made mod, I appreciate the work and look forward to seeing more.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 03:27:51 PM by PeachPatrol »

Makao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2021, 03:41:44 PM »

Is there a way to fix the Alpha core administrators not having the Elite skills?

PreConceptor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2021, 10:23:27 AM »

Also, setting nav rating and ECM to hullmods only is an interesting choice, but it would be nice if there were some new effects so the two skills wouldn't be 'duds' in this configuration.
I agree on Nav Rating, I feel its too easy to reach max with the normal settings so I always use it without officer influence. At least you get the command point bonuses. Maybe a setting to boost CP gain from bigger ships too?

I also agree in spirit that ECM could do with a bonus option if you don't use it with officer influence (especially since +ECM rating is the only possible effect), but I don't ever see myself disabling officer influence on ECM.

Warnoise

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2021, 01:00:18 AM »

I think Officer training is bugged. When I activated it, it didn't add an officer slot

phonon5891

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2021, 01:25:41 PM »

Thanks for the mod! I just started playing on 0.95 and the vanilla skill system was driving me nuts lol.

I do have a small problem with the mod though: I can't seem to get it to use my custom values in settings.json. I've set the custom booleans to true at the start of the settings file as instructed, but in-game none of my changes seem to be registering. I did install SS 0.95 in a non-default directory (.../starsector095; I'm keeping my 0.91 install in the default .../starsector) -- could this be related to the issue I'm having?

Any help would be appreciated, I've spent two hours trying to figure this out, but with no luck (doesn't help that SS w/ mods takes ~a minute to load on my system).

EDIT: Magically fixed itself after third cycle of download >> extract >> copy to mod folder >> pick flavor >> edit settings.json >> run game. Might have been botched download, botched extraction, or some freak accident involving a stray neutrino flipping a bit in my SSD at the exact location of the QC mod, dunno. In any case, mod is now actually reading the settings.json file.

Also, an observation: even if you edit the Helmsmanship speed bonus (I had set it to 1000 for testing) the in-combat 0-flux status notification shows the speed boost to only be the default +60 (50 default + 10 from default helmsmanship bonus, I suppose). Meanwhile my cruiser was flying around at ~600 speed in simulations lol.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 02:16:37 PM by phonon5891 »

AlienCheekClapper

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2021, 08:54:53 AM »

Hey! I love your mod and really enjoy the reworks. Could you make Alpha Core Administrators have Elite Skills? They currently only have the lowest tier of the skills. I didn't lose 3 of my Onslaught's farming remnants only to get an Alpha Core that barely graduated from middle school. Any way to edit that for Alpha Cores? Tyty
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20