Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

Author Topic: [0.97a] Quality Captains: A Skill Rework - Now with perks! v1.6.0  (Read 206500 times)

PeepingPeacock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Quality Captains: A Skill Rework v1.0.2
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2021, 07:59:54 PM »

Feedback after playing around a day with a new mandatory mod, was very surprised to find out every single skill was changed!

I love that DP limits have been more or less removed across the board, way too complicated and poorly implemented in the base game. Auxiliary support would never give you the full bonus and it was impossible to work out the bonus without just looking at the skill once you had gotten it. Glad that mess has been done away with.

Makes sense to keep the DP limit on automated ships because it has to be otherwise one can break the game in half by running a fleet of Radiants. The cargo limit on bulk transfer is still there and considering how it was nerfed by 20%, lost the burn bonus and competes with every other perk now I'm not sure that it still warrants having that limit. Adding something fun onto it like a reduction in tariff prices similar to Dynamic Tariffs would add something new and make it a nice skill for building faction relationships through trade without getting hit in the wallet as bad as you normally would.

Special modifications having the story point rebate is fantastic, I thought it was strange that not even the most directly related skill to story points did anything about them. An entire new aspect of the game that the skill system does not interact with at all seemed like a big missed opportunity. Great addition.

Skill numbers are static and don't change with settings, this is fine considering anyone making any changes is going to know what they did but derelict contingent's 20% flux dissipation bonus on shield-shunted ships is actually 15% in the files by default.

Field repairs would be nice with a toggle but locking it behind elite does more or less the same thing so thank you for fixing that synergy issue with DC.

Colony management is still a scam skill that exists to trick people who don't know about alpha cores, every other colony skill at least does something that a core can't do except for this one.
It does basically the same thing as officer training but its not a permanent skill like officer training is because it sucks.
By the time you have 4 fully running colonys the game is already won or money is no longer a concern, its not even a hard cap and its possible to live with a light stability penalty especially now that 5 stability is the cut-off for extra income.

If I may make a suggestion,
Spoiler
I'd make it a permanent skill and change what it does entirely add a bonus to the maximum number of contacts (3?), increases the number of missions (1-2?) and increase the payouts (50% at high relations?) you receive from your contacts. Its still someone thematic to have better business sense and ability to keep in touch with people in high places when you level your planetary management skill, and its way more interesting than a skill that gets obsoleted by a farm-able item. I'm surprised there is not already a skill that impacts contacts, seems like another missed opportunity.

If a skill is just going to open settings.json and change things in it, it would be better to have it change something fun that can't be done elsewhere.

I think adding that would make for a really cool perk that makes a noticeable difference on how the game is played. Sort of like how ground operations let you play a different game of never paying for supplies and just raiding for them easily instead. By making it permanent and only boosting income at higher relations its not a skill that can be cheese'd for a faster start and then reassigned away after pocketing the extra money.
[close]

I can't thank you enough for bringing back the d-mod skills, what a wonderful mod! Thank you again for making and sharing it!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 08:09:03 PM by PeepingPeacock »

Dal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2021, 08:22:36 PM »

Feedback after playing around a day with a new mandatory mod, was very surprised to find out every single skill was changed!
-
I can't thank you enough for bringing back the d-mod skills, what a wonderful mod! Thank you again for making and sharing it!

Hi! Thanks for the kind words and feedback. If you're having issues customizing the skills, have you made sure you swapped the toggles at the top of the settings file? I'll add some more explicit info about that with the next update.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Quality Captains: A Skill Rework v1.0.1
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2021, 09:00:25 PM »

I don't think you wuite understod what I said there, He removed the +1 burn from I1L(Bulk Transport) and added it to L1R(Auxiliary Support)
I get what you mean. Put it back on Bulk Transport L1R.
Actually, if it was possible for either Bulk Transport or Auxiliary Support to trigger the +1, I'd be happy with that.

PeepingPeacock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2021, 09:15:37 PM »

-

Hi! Thanks for the kind words and feedback. If you're having issues customizing the skills, have you made sure you swapped the toggles at the top of the settings file? I'll add some more explicit info about that with the next update.

I have the big dumb, thanks. Only change I've made so far is setting the D-mod penalty reduction to 50% for ease of computing and for the good old days.

Venomfx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2021, 08:49:46 PM »

Any chance of getting Nexerelin compatibility so we can get additional agents from officer management and training? I would love to try this out but I need all the spies I can get.

Andimar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2021, 04:27:23 AM »

I tried changing the settings.json file so as to make the 0-flux bonus happen below 5% instead of 1% (because otherwise a carrier cannot send their fighters to engage without losing it), and the point defense total anti-fighters bonus to 60% but neither changes happen, even after starting a new game.

Am I doing it wrong?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 04:30:05 AM by Andimar »

icebar0n

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2021, 06:26:04 AM »

Hello ! Does this mod removes the level cap or captain is still capped by level 15 ?
Thank you !

Spess Mahren

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2021, 12:47:05 PM »

Is it possible to configure salvaging to give a bonus to rare loot like it did last version?

Dal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2021, 04:53:42 PM »

Is it possible to configure salvaging to give a bonus to rare loot like it did last version?
This has been added to the config!

Hello ! Does this mod removes the level cap or captain is still capped by level 15 ?
Thank you !
QC doesn't touch the level cap or XP curve, though it will work with mods that do.

I tried changing the settings.json file so as to make the 0-flux bonus happen below 5% instead of 1% (because otherwise a carrier cannot send their fighters to engage without losing it), and the point defense total anti-fighters bonus to 60% but neither changes happen, even after starting a new game.

Am I doing it wrong?
Did you change the toggles at the top of the file to true? They're there as as a catch-all. I've added a note to the FAQ and the next version will have a note in the file itself.

Dal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2021, 04:54:59 PM »

Any chance of getting Nexerelin compatibility so we can get additional agents from officer management and training? I would love to try this out but I need all the spies I can get.

Nexerelin (and VSP) compatibility has been added, along with even better ECM! Get 1.0.3 from the main post or from right here!

Bumped with a hotfix for a non-default modifier issue.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 07:01:34 PM by Dal »

Andimar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2021, 12:28:22 AM »

Did you change the toggles at the top of the file to true? They're there as as a catch-all. I've added a note to the FAQ and the next version will have a note in the file itself.

Oh... Sorry. Should have paid better attention. Thanks. :P

Spess Mahren

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Quality Captains: A Skill Rework v1.0.4
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2021, 10:54:02 AM »

I'm using the custom config and it seems that the default settings and the unaltered custom config have different skill effects for several skills.

Dal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2021, 10:56:26 AM »

I'm using the custom config and it seems that the default settings and the unaltered custom config have different skill effects for several skills.
Hi! If you could point out which effects need updating I would be very grateful. The defaults are all separate, so if something changes in one place it can get missed in the other.

General: Quality Captains should be fully compatible with v0.95a-RC14.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 10:59:13 AM by Dal »

Donko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2021, 06:33:37 PM »

I'm using version 1.0.4 but Bulk Transport still seems to be scaling with fleet size. I've tested it with a redownload and no other mods running.

Spess Mahren

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2021, 04:49:37 AM »

Hi! If you could point out which effects need updating I would be very grateful. The defaults are all separate, so if something changes in one place it can get missed in the other.

General: Quality Captains should be fully compatible with v0.95a-RC14.

Finally checked over everything the skills that need updating are bulk transport, derelict contingent, phase mastery, helmsmenship, containment procedures, and target analysis.
Also I wanted to ask what precisely the complexity modifiers are for field repairs elite effect.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 04:54:38 AM by Spess Mahren »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20