Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: marine experience questions  (Read 6002 times)

n3xuiz

• Commander
    • View Profile
marine experience questions
« on: April 15, 2021, 02:02:56 PM »

in the new patch raiding and marines were overhauled to gain experience. i've seen people mention that its easy to level up.

how would i best go about this? is the experience gain based on the difficulty of the raid target? the value of the loot? or should i just raid easier targets to avoid them being killed?

because it seems if i want to have a elite force i can't replenish them too much since those replacements will be green and reduce the overall "level" of my troops.

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: marine experience questions
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 04:27:48 PM »

The new experience system is that all marine in your fleet share a pool of XP regardless if the XP were gained by them or their unlucky seniors. Replacing and replenish don't have any negative impact on the XP of your marines.
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 09:27:56 AM »

Adding more marines spreads out their total XP, reducing their effectiveness.  This, of course, is only countered by sending them on further operations...and getting them back alive.  Basically, buy a lot of marines at once, raid some low risk stuff so they don't die, then send them in for the good stuff when their effectiveness climbs.

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 10:07:05 AM »

It is possible to squeeze a larger force into a smaller pool of elite marines, as when you store them elsewhere the xp is kept as much as possible in your own fleet rather than the ones deposited (it is however lost if you sell those marines beyond the max xp capacity of the remaining ones).

It's good to keep some rookies so that you both continue gaining xp when raiding, and don't lose what's already acquired as when losing marines, the total xp capacity is reduced and the excess voided.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 10:09:26 AM by Scorpixel »

oooh_senpai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 08:11:40 PM »

The most simple way to upgrade marines to elite level is to buy new ones only then marines that you currently have are about max experience, so you always have about max raid effectiveness and loss reduce multiplayer. The best way to lvl up them is raiding low danger high value objects (for ex persean league farming is able to give you about 300000 worth of food with 4 marines lost sometimes)

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 01:40:50 AM »

When buying marines, they're going to be at "regular" experience, bringing the average experience of your marines down. As such, having casulties at a minimum is pretty important.

Increase raid effectivness (ground support, tactical bombardment, getting rid of orbital stations)

Go for low risk commodities - even if you HAVE to go for high risk ones, sending some to low risk actually reduces casualties because it's factored in as a distraction.

Marines found on exploration(cryopods) or bar actually carry exp with them.