Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Do you prefer to use level cap increase mods in 0.95a?

Yes
- 39 (83%)
No
- 8 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do you use level cap increase mods?  (Read 4739 times)

ofasia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Do you use level cap increase mods?
« on: April 15, 2021, 06:44:03 AM »

Obviously there's probably a lot of "in between" and "it depends", me included, but asking a general rule of thumb if you prefer to play with or without them. Specifically in 0.95a. And if you want to elaborate even better.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Do you use level cap increase mods?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 12:25:07 PM »

I put in a vote for 'yes' because in practical terms, yes. ...In technical terms what I actually use is 'addskillpoints' from console commands.

Generally sparingly - for example, my initial run through the game, I ended up giving myself exactly one extra skill point so I could take both shield & phase ship skills. Technically cheating? Yes. But in practical terms, those skills will never both apply to the same ship, so all I'm really doing is giving myself the freedom to pick what my flagship is without having to spend two story points every time I want to try out a phase ship when I'd been using regular ships or vice versa.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Ramiel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 09:57:12 PM »

Yes. It would have been different perhaps if we had more flexibility in choosing a play style. But, at the moment, if we spec into a certain style, others become very unfeasible....

Radicaljack

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 11:22:22 PM »

Yeah I took the 25 one, toned it to 20 and then increased battle size. Miserable DP mechanics and officer spam are just not fun gameplay so I went for this as a workaround until things get balanced out.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 11:56:46 PM »

Yes; I increased the cap to 20, doubled the skill points, and I've used someone's mod that allows you to pick all skills so I have all skills unlocked at max level. I don't like having to choose and miss out on things.

I've done a lot of tinkering in settings.json, because this game would be quite brutal and non-entertaining for me if I didn't.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 12:01:18 AM »

Playing at 20 since RC8.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 03:23:54 AM »

why yes i have a god-complex when playing the game where i need to max everything out and all my officers are like supa elite officers how could you tell?

MrFluffster

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 05:19:54 AM »

Technically yes, but I only edited the setting.json to raise the level cap to 20, since without further modifiations I can't get more skills anyway so it feels fair that I get to make every skill picking choice. Stopping with 5 of those choices not made feels overly limiting, like I already lock myself out of some skills and then I get locked out even harder out of some.
Author of Fluff's Ship Pack. Check it out!
Feel free to hit me up on discord @PMMeCuteBugPhotos#0420

Nameless

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 12:42:13 PM »

I increased the lvl to 25 and officer lvl limit to 7.

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 04:14:28 AM »

Yes, I want to experience a sense of progression after hours of grinding and not forced to play with the certain playstyle because some loser out there get offended when I commanded 10 Paragon under my fleet, thinking my way of life is invalid just because I play the way I want in a sandbox single player game in the comfort of my own home.

ps : I'm so angry today, holy cow.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 04:29:41 AM by Chairman Suryasari »
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2021, 06:18:27 AM »

Doesn't this topic belong in general discussion? Sure, it's about modding the game, but the thing you're modding is some pretty contentious topic.
I don't mod skills in any way, mostly because what I would rather change is how strong are later tiers, and there are no mods that change that.

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2021, 06:21:51 AM »

in the same boat with SCC.

braven25

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2021, 01:47:14 AM »

I dont use mods for it, but i have edited game file to increase cap to 20.

20 is way more than you need even if you wrap around.
Tho I do wish when you you did have to wrap around and could just pick it as long as you reach the previous requirements

Szasz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2021, 04:14:39 PM »

Yes, though not technically.
A few skills in the same tier have no synergy with each other (like the shield and phase one) and some picks are non-reversible so I edited the save file to have both in those cases. After all I'm always free not to utilize them but not being able to hop into a phase ship caz I need to get a story point every single time for a respec is dumb.

Doesn't this topic belong in general discussion? Sure, it's about modding the game, but the thing you're modding is some pretty contentious topic.
I don't mod skills in any way, mostly because what I would rather change is how strong are later tiers, and there are no mods that change that.
Agreed since the topic is subjective and about opinions (do you do this or that and why). If it was about how to do that with or without a mod, that would be a different story.

There is such mod. Quality Captains

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 12:23:21 AM »

There is such mod. Quality Captains
If you look closely, you will notice it reshuffles skills and changes them, but it doesn't make tier 4s and 5s stronger.
Pages: [1] 2