Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What are some of your favorite text snippets?  (Read 4274 times)

Satirical

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: What are some of your favorite text snippets?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2021, 04:17:39 AM »

Spoiler
This one really intrigues me because it either implies that Omega and <whatever Project Ziggurat was tapping into> are two different entities, or that Omega is very different than what the average Remnant AI -- who are desperate to reconnect to Omega -- thinks it is.

I think Omega itself might simply be something left over from the Domain -- some kind of high-level AI that helped keep a leash on others, maybe. This would explain why the Tesseracts are found near old Domain superstructures and would give a plausible reason why Try-Tachyon (which is heavily invested in controlling AI, possibly is a un-conventional AI itself through its self-modifying charter, but chafed under Domain control) would want them gone, and also why they struggled to keep control of the Remnant -- maybe they could fake being Omega for a while but eventually the Remnant figured it out.

Conversely, the description of the Ziggurat, the player's experiences at the Alpha Site (hearing that ghostly music...), and the player's meeting with Livewell Cotton (who hears it too, and claims even to have heard it speak to him, and seems to regard it as an object of worship even though he's not sure "whether it is a choir of angels or a host of demons") all point to the existence of something that is completely alien, bearing no relation to Domain technology, and which scares the ever-living *** out of AI.
[close]

Spoiler
Remember the rumors in the Onslaught's full description? That it was originally designed, back before shield generators even existed, to fight off an incursion by an alien race?
[close]
Spoiler
thought that was a enders game reference but its pretty cool that it didnt use to have shields
[close]

Rain

• Ensign
  • Burn bright!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 04:25:18 AM »

Okay, so the lies you can spin with SP uses against Pathers are my new favourites. All of them.

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 07:18:44 AM »

get real i nuked 20 pirate outposts and am the sole owner of the single fresh Z in existence and you wont even consider scratching my nuts a little when encountering me?

Hahahaha that's just precious.
Yeah, I hope they keep going in this direction of adding more flavor to the world, even if they don't end up having real consequence a few different answers and interactions really flesh out the experience.
Having high relations however should really have more interesting gameplay consequences, telling fast pickets to sod off without consequence or story point use, that sort of thing.
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 02:39:15 PM »

After replaying the part of the quest at Magec and Zal, your character acts way too much like Picard from Star Trek: TNG.  Kind of funny in a way.

As for Kanta, I played through that part diplomatically, and after wasting my time, I just want to raid for Zal to save time in future playthroughs.  Does NPC rep even matter when they never want to talk unless there is a one-off quest, which goes away after it is done?

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2021, 06:40:30 PM »

I have yet to find any use for personal relations, I suppose at some point it will do something, and when it does, I will finally be able to seduce one of the rich old ladies of the sector to get some gigolo allowance...someday...

But yeah, maybe relations with important people will let you get some special treatment or particular quests, that could be interesting, contacts are definitely a way forward on this aspect.
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2021, 01:43:04 PM »

Another funny one when chatting with an uppity pirate too dumb to live by demanding a bribe during the gate quest.  The option I picked was something like "Why pay when I can blast you to dust?"

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2021, 09:32:19 PM »

"Though we hear some yahoo found a way to cross unstable jump-points, which is beyond irresponsible considering the chance of a resonance cascade- ah, I apologize. This is irrelevant."

Just a lovely little easter egg for those of use who've been playing long enough to remember transverse-jumping out of the tutorial. (Though it does make things a bit... ominous, when later on you need to do exactly that.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.
Pages: 1 [2]