Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What are some of your favorite text snippets?  (Read 4270 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
What are some of your favorite text snippets?
« on: April 14, 2021, 08:00:48 PM »

I'm loving a lot of the new word combinations in 0.95a. Two of my favorites:
"customer satisfaction insurance fee"
"This is war by public relations; there is no room for scruples"

I'm curious to know what quotes stood out to other people. Do tell!

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: What are some of your favorite text snippets?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 01:06:07 PM »

This low-tech wisdom stood out today:

Me, I don't take with them lasers and the like. Puts on a hell of a lightshow, ya'sure, but nothing stops incoming blips like the wall of DU from a good Vulcan matrix.

- "Lower Deck Heroes", a HEGCOM serial

It comes from the Point Defense skill description.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 08:02:36 PM »

I took one look at the Weapon Drills desc
What's it stopped the Tri-Tach plot? (Guns!)
What was it ol' Ludd forgot? (Guns!)
What've we got that they have not? (Big, big, guns!)

— drinking song of the Hegemony navy
and recited the Network Node completion voiceover from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri in my head.

Also there's this fun roast in the Kallichore Archive quest (didn't encounter it myself, but saw it in rules.csv):
Spoiler
You enter the ID, hand hovering over a glowing 'confirm' sigil. Your comms officer nods, ready to respond to whatever surprises Gargoyle thinks would be amusing to send through the link this time.

The display resolves from a mesmerizing fractal battleground to a familiar face grinning impishly at you. "Oh $playerFirstName, are you having trouble finding Nova Maxios? Let me help, I'll send you a copy of Baby's First Star Chart."

Your TriPad chimes softly.

"Go on, read it. Find 'M is for Magec'. You can figure it out! I believe in you." Gargoyle turns away and waves you off as your comms seem to disconnect of its own accord.
[close]

Although I prefer the elegant simplicity of this one from a later Academy quest:
Spoiler
>"I believe the trade tariffs are too high. Especially for me."
"Take it to the complaints department," Daud pops a thumb at the Eagle-class cruiser behind him.
[close]

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 08:13:20 PM »

"I expected you to be taller" (wheezing)

Interactions with luddites are generally fun too.

I want the game to let me seduce Artemisia Sun and get her as my sugar mommy.
And also your character is painted like too much of an always cool kinda person but never truly powerful, feels as if player colonies weren't contemplated within the story at all.

Pls add clumsy mess character, I have enough stoic coolness in real life already (ok no)
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

TuxedoCatfish

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 11:18:51 PM »

Is it possible to look at dialogue or conversation trees in the game's files? I'm curious about some of the choices I didn't pick from the story missions, not to mention some stuff I'd like to go back and read again for the sake of lore speculation and so on, but I don't really want to have to replay the whole campaign in a fresh save to do it. (Plus some of the interactions are rather obscure, e.g. you have to wait for a hyperspace encounter that you might not notice or might have run away from because it leads to a fight.)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 11:33:29 PM »

Is it possible to look at dialogue or conversation trees in the game's files? I'm curious about some of the choices I didn't pick from the story missions, not to mention some stuff I'd like to go back and read again for the sake of lore speculation and so on, but I don't really want to have to replay the whole campaign in a fresh save to do it. (Plus some of the interactions are rather obscure, e.g. you have to wait for a hyperspace encounter that you might not notice or might have run away from because it leads to a fight.)
There is the rules.csv file but it's a mess
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

TuxedoCatfish

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 11:47:26 PM »

There is the rules.csv file but it's a mess

A mess is fine, I have a pretty good idea of what to word-search for anyways. Just knowing the right file is a big help; thank you!

TuxedoCatfish

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 12:00:12 AM »

Super-heavy spoilers for the main campaign and discussion of the "endgame threat" follow.

Spoiler
"Anyway," Gargoyle leans in, speaking with quiet drama, "Project Ziggurat scared them. If you read between the lines," the hacker makes a self satisfied expression, "The initial phase of the project utilized a handful of AI cores of various grades. Guess what? Self-deleted. Tri-Tachyon thinks they're not supposed to be able to do that, but," a wobbly hand gesture, "Eh. Negotiable. Amazing what seemingly innocuous hardware can be made to do when you think outside the box."
[close]

Spoiler
This one really intrigues me because it either implies that Omega and <whatever Project Ziggurat was tapping into> are two different entities, or that Omega is very different than what the average Remnant AI -- who are desperate to reconnect to Omega -- thinks it is.

I think Omega itself might simply be something left over from the Domain -- some kind of high-level AI that helped keep a leash on others, maybe. This would explain why the Tesseracts are found near old Domain superstructures and would give a plausible reason why Tri-Tachyon (which is heavily invested in controlling AI, possibly is a un-conventional AI itself through its self-modifying charter, but chafed under Domain control) would want them gone, and also why they struggled to keep control of the Remnant -- maybe they could fake being Omega for a while but eventually the Remnant figured it out.

Conversely, the description of the Ziggurat, the player's experiences at the Alpha Site (hearing that ghostly music...), and the player's meeting with Livewell Cotton (who hears it too, and claims even to have heard it speak to him, and seems to regard it as an object of worship even though he's not sure "whether it is a choir of angels or a host of demons") all point to the existence of something that is completely alien, bearing no relation to Domain technology, and which scares the ever-living *** out of AI.
[close]
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 01:20:15 AM by TuxedoCatfish »

Demetrious

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 12:56:27 AM »

Spoiler
This one really intrigues me because it either implies that Omega and <whatever Project Ziggurat was tapping into> are two different entities, or that Omega is very different than what the average Remnant AI -- who are desperate to reconnect to Omega -- thinks it is.

I think Omega itself might simply be something left over from the Domain -- some kind of high-level AI that helped keep a leash on others, maybe. This would explain why the Tesseracts are found near old Domain superstructures and would give a plausible reason why Try-Tachyon (which is heavily invested in controlling AI, possibly is a un-conventional AI itself through its self-modifying charter, but chafed under Domain control) would want them gone, and also why they struggled to keep control of the Remnant -- maybe they could fake being Omega for a while but eventually the Remnant figured it out.

Conversely, the description of the Ziggurat, the player's experiences at the Alpha Site (hearing that ghostly music...), and the player's meeting with Livewell Cotton (who hears it too, and claims even to have heard it speak to him, and seems to regard it as an object of worship even though he's not sure "whether it is a choir of angels or a host of demons") all point to the existence of something that is completely alien, bearing no relation to Domain technology, and which scares the ever-living *** out of AI.
[close]

Spoiler
Remember the rumors in the Onslaught's full description? That it was originally designed, back before shield generators even existed, to fight off an incursion by an alien race?
[close]

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 05:40:37 AM »

Not the exact quote, but near the end of the gate quest right before player needs to visit Kanta's Den, the professor (you know her name) says something to the effect of do whatever it takes to get the job done, including murder or blackmail, I don't care.

One or two of the characters, either Gargoyle or his lackey remind me a bit of Rick Sanchez.

P.S.  One of my least favorite descriptions is the defenses of Kanta's Den if player decides to raid for the NPC.  After reading how much of a meatgrinder it would be, it was a disappointment that it took less marines than needed to steal blueprints, and I only lost 14 marines.  The game should not assume a meat grinder if player has enough raid strength to shrug off extreme danger.  This is like the text game Adventure, where the game asks you do you really want to kill a dragon with your bare hands, and the correct answer is "Yes", and you do just that and solve a puzzle.

Besides, aside from the quest, Kanta's Den is yet another pirate target to steal commodities from.  As a bonus, Kanta is immune to nukes or decivilization since it is a quest planet (at least before solving the quest chain).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 05:49:09 AM by Megas »

Rain

• Ensign
  • Burn bright!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 05:51:43 AM »

The whole depiction of Kanta's "court" trying to play nice the first time around was pretty evocative to me, with her 'doctor' playing his part in sort-of-but-not-really trying to use his influence to maybe-kinda-maybe-kinda-not ruling through her.

Though ever since then I've just done the marine raid because that court interaction made me very much think Kanta can go jump into a space lake. Ain't kowtowing to you again, scoundrel!

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 09:10:23 AM »

Ailmar's description indicates it's basically space Finland and it amuses me.

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 01:41:54 PM »

Ailmar's description indicates it's basically space Finland and it amuses me.

Imagine when you buy crew in Ailmar, they only get in the ship up to half the max capacity.
They would make your ballistic weapons more accurate though... (Space Simo Häyhä reference)
Not sure what effect space saunas have on all of this though.
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

rabbistern

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 09:34:47 PM »

I want the game to let me seduce Artemisia Sun and get her as my sugar mommy.
And also your character is painted like too much of an always cool kinda person but never truly powerful, feels as if player colonies weren't contemplated within the story at all.
+10000 to that. its been bugging me since forever. "hey know that guy who runs the most profitable planets in the sector with millions of men behind him? how about we offer him to be our errand boy?" etc and any fleets you hail dont appear to recognize you at all, simply reading off your cmdr name off their holo feeds like get real i nuked 20 pirate outposts and am the sole owner of the single fresh Z in existence and you wont even consider scratching my nuts a little when encountering me?

Lord Sputnik

• Commander
  • "One Of Ours, Sir!" = Best ship name ever...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2021, 11:47:04 PM »

This...

[attachment deleted by admin]
ZeroGman

Self-proclaimed lord of Eos, lord of Magec, and lord of the dance.
Pages: [1] 2