Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Supercarrier  (Read 33759 times)

Half-full

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Supercarrier
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2012, 07:06:23 AM »

k
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 05:35:14 PM by Half-full »

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2012, 08:34:39 AM »

Agreed...

Although i can think of a place where repairing and/or rearming frigates could be viable... during a whilst a station is under siege from an enemy fleet, i think it would be expected for a orbital station/mining station/large outpost, to be able to repair small vessels and to an extent rearm them.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2012, 10:26:03 AM »

Ammo magazines would be stored inside the turret, or hard point, so when it comes to reloading it would be far easier to load in a few missiles onto a missile rack than to open up the turret (safely!) load to ammo into what ever mechanism that operates the turret, and then close the turret again.

That's a terrible idea. Why would you store the ammunition in the turret? It's exposed, your magazines would be at the whim of enemy fire.

Anyway, there's also a lot more ammo to load than six harpoons on a Lasher.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2012, 10:37:58 AM »

Could Frigates be docked for say, partially outside of this support ship? Like tied down or what not to a flight deck, and thus exposed to enemy fire?

I think it's agreed on that this support ship would be very vulnerable by itself, and it gives the enemy(or you) an opportunity to kill the frigate easily and simply, as it can't move for a certain duration of time.

Deathven

• Commander
  • "Contigo ergo sum" - Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2012, 06:51:16 AM »

Could Frigates be docked for say, partially outside of this support ship? Like tied down or what not to a flight deck, and thus exposed to enemy fire?

I think it's agreed on that this support ship would be very vulnerable by itself, and it gives the enemy(or you) an opportunity to kill the frigate easily and simply, as it can't move for a certain duration of time.

It could go that way. If a frigate takes too much damage and explodes, the carrier will also get damaged as well.  That can be a balance factor.

SwipertheFox

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2012, 09:40:48 AM »

It could go that way. If a frigate takes too much damage and explodes, the carrier will also get damaged as well.  That can be a balance factor.

I think this would still be excellent in gameplay.  Like in ww2 the japaneese carriers got hit during reload and refit of there equipment.

Half-full

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2012, 06:53:35 AM »

k
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 05:35:29 PM by Half-full »

Deathven

• Commander
  • "Contigo ergo sum" - Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2012, 10:44:11 AM »

Yes, but this is talking about frigates reloading and is only for the Astral class.

jacobgr43

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2012, 05:03:19 AM »

I kinda like the idea of a super carrier that is unarmed but has heavy shielding, armor and hull and a lot of flight decks. It would be kinda like a nest of hornets. Personally i find frigates to be quite useless when compared to multi role fighters which can take on destroyers when 2-3 squads work together.

SwipertheFox

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2012, 06:21:29 AM »

I kinda like the idea of a super carrier that is unarmed but has heavy shielding, armor and hull and a lot of flight decks. It would be kinda like a nest of hornets. Personally i find frigates to be quite useless when compared to multi role fighters which can take on destroyers when 2-3 squads work together.

I agree I like that idea of a heavy armored flight deck.  ( THE HORNET'S NEST )   :D

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2012, 08:13:35 PM »

Probably should be a capital ship with the equivalent armament of something between a Valkyrie and a Venture... But it would be pretty cool to see like repair systems fly around a frigate while it's docked up against this supercarrier.

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2012, 09:44:54 AM »

Rearming missiles on frigates would be, as has already been pointed out, obscenely OP.  Even MORE so if the ship that does the rearming is well armed, armored and shielded.  It also seems to me that such a ship would blur the line between fighters and frigates to the point of making fighters quite useless.  Why field fighters when I can constantly rearm my extended missile rack Lashers and obliterate everything with ease. 

SwipertheFox

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2012, 09:47:52 AM »

OK so what about a hull modification that could add a limited flight deck to a cap ship that is without one.  Does that leave things sideways??

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2012, 09:55:57 AM »

Yes. The one of the few reasons I use an Odyssey is because of the flight deck. In every engagement I always try to have a flight deck, and if I could just add one to my Onslaught, I'd never use the Odyssey again. Having a flight deck doubles the effectiveness of fighters, and more than even that once fighters can choose to refit and repair at different ships.

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2012, 04:21:25 PM »

OK so what about a hull modification that could add a limited flight deck to a cap ship that is without one.  Does that leave things sideways??

This just seems unrealistic to me. You don't just bolt on a flight deck to an existing ship without massive sacrifices (ie, see early naval aircraft carriers) and modifications to the hull. And if this is implemented, the "bolt-on flight decks" will need to be gimped in some way, ie can only restock and repair and not replace.

Rearming missiles on frigates would be, as has already been pointed out, obscenely OP.  Even MORE so if the ship that does the rearming is well armed, armored and shielded.  It also seems to me that such a ship would blur the line between fighters and frigates to the point of making fighters quite useless.  Why field fighters when I can constantly rearm my extended missile rack Lashers and obliterate everything with ease. 

Exactly. Especially when a Lasher is less FP than some of the more expensive fighters.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7