Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Carriers are not dead!  (Read 7052 times)

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Carriers are not dead!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2021, 11:30:55 AM »

Non-orange Legion can fit 5 pilums instead of 2. Just saying.

Flunky

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2021, 01:36:08 PM »

Though as others have pointed out, for bigger fleets crew training is no longer giving +15% CR, its less. Which might tip the balance back in favor of carrier group. So for a small carrier-centric fleet, Carrier Group is best because of the massive bonus; for a ~180DP fleet of any kind, crew training is best because either there are lots of combat ships that want +15% CR, or lots of carriers that also want 15% CR instead of 15% replacement; but for a muc larger fleet, ~5% CR is a smaller bonus, but a non-officered carrier support group of like 6 destroyers with thunders would get 25% faster rebuilds, which is fantastic. So the balance of the skill relies heavily on total fleet size. A bit screwy tbh.

This is part of what bothers me about the current carrier skills - they're each contending with pretty solid generalist skills that also benefit carriers. If I'm going to be switching up or adjusting my fleet from time to time and don't want to burn story points, why not the generalist skills? Even for a carrier fleet it's not a clear benefit to take the carrier skill over the mixed skill (though maybe the upcoming nerf to ECM will make the tech choice less lopsided).

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 04:52:27 AM »

I think a big problem for carriers, especially against Remnant fleets, is the bigger penalty to hitting enemies with the wrong weapon type. Explosive is much less effective against shields if the target's officer has the matching skill. Problem is that the attack timing of bombers and Longbows is too different to hit at the same time (usually my Longbows hit several seconds after the torpedoes) and you can't influence fighters enough to synchronize their strikes. Against Remnants my torpedoes hit their shields, cause barely any flux, then the kinetics hit and overload the target but by the time the bombers have reloaded and returned the overload has ended.

Also I'm currently early-midgame, driving an Astral I found and salvaged but my fleet also contains a Venture and two Shepherds for exploration and salvage duty which add to my hangar bay count for little to no gain. If I had Tempests it would be the same, diluting the skill with ships that aren't really part of a carrier force but technically count as carriers. Maybe it should be tied to the total OP of your fighters instead of the bay count so it doesn't emphasize using the most advanced fighters all the time?
Pages: 1 [2]