Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: 1337 Starsector Ship Rankings [SHIP TIER LIST GONE WRONG]  (Read 10541 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: 1337 Starsector Ship Rankings
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2021, 07:14:29 PM »

Doom, lineholder 4? Ah, a disciple of the "they can't push our line if they're dead" school of thought.

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2021, 07:25:04 PM »

Well...I mean it does hold a line, a line of purple dots of (as the name clearly puts it) DOOM
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

Low Settings

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 09:35:21 PM »

Thanks for the playerbait statistic. Now I know what to pilot

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2021, 10:43:53 PM »

Doom's overrated, it's just an Afflictor with a 'Press F to blow things up' button.
Doom's press to win button is the main reason for its rating. I was even tempted to make it straight fives across the board.

And how are some of the frigates so high on Sustained when frigates run out of PPT so fast?
I rated all ships in relation to their size type.
No Prometheus MK2?
Prometheus in the chart is the Mk II. First column was too narrow and I didn't notice.

While I mostly agree, I don't really understand how the scarab and tempest get 2's for strike, especially while omen gets a 3. They can both use all the same weapons as the omen and have better ship systems for bursty damage.
I think I rated all frigates according to their missile slots, then forgot to include special circumstances. Omen's probably just a mistake, though. I changed Omen's strike to 2, Tempest's strike to 3 and Scarab's strike to 3.
About Falcon, eh, maybe.

Where's the Falcon(P)? Did 5's across the board crash your spreadsheet?
I just copied ships_data.csv, as I was too lazy to put all the names myself.

Doom, lineholder 4? Ah, a disciple of the "they can't push our line if they're dead" school of thought.
Doom is just dumb.

Monitor 2 on sustained? Seriously?
I’m sitting in a monitor with 12 minutes PPT that’s not sustainable enough?
It’s also the best player bait ship in the entire game, attracts 60-100 DP of enemy fleet without sweating.
Sustained damage. Perhaps I should just explicitly spell that out, but it's going to make that one column longer, hmm.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 10:53:39 PM »

That is not the discussion, I will entertain the thought though. Since the update we have been introduced to mega fleets full of officers. As a guy that has piloted many afflictors in the day I can tell you they won't be soloing this. They were worth the effort prior to the good Doom.

The discussion was about how the afflictor is like the Doom. It is not. It is a one trick pony where is the Doom is the cream of the crop swiss army knife...

Afflictor's "trick" is deleting any ship in 1-2 attack passes (can be 3 with sub-optimal attack passes), while being pretty much unstoppable no matter what enemy fleet tries to do. That's good enough to solo any fleet with, given enough player-piloted Afflictors (2-3 for single endgame enemy fleet).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:55:31 PM by TaLaR »

MrFluffster

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2021, 07:37:11 AM »

Sustained damage. Perhaps I should just explicitly spell that out, but it's going to make that one column longer, hmm.
I'd recommend making a small table to the side with a solid definition of each archetype to avoid any further confusion like that
Author of Fluff's Ship Pack. Check it out!
Feel free to hit me up on discord @PMMeCuteBugPhotos#0420

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2021, 12:01:09 PM »

Atlas mkII has three 1s?   >:(NOW LISTEN HERE YOU LITTLE--

Support 1?  HAH!  Have you ever SEEN an atlas mkII with two locusts and two gauss cannons?  What more support do you WANT, man?  And lineholding?  Go ahead: walk up and butt heads with an Atlas mkII with two mjolnirs, two hurricanes and an ammo feeder ready.  Lemme know how that shakes out.

Harasser 1?

I'm...going to allow that.  It's not exactly a phase skimmer. :P

Seriously, though, am I the only one with any love for the atlas mkII?  All that logistics space, all those weapons, cheapest capital in the game and still hangs with the big boys.  ATLAS2 4LIFE.

Hellya

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2021, 12:59:07 PM »

That is not the discussion, I will entertain the thought though. Since the update we have been introduced to mega fleets full of officers. As a guy that has piloted many afflictors in the day I can tell you they won't be soloing this. They were worth the effort prior to the good Doom.

The discussion was about how the afflictor is like the Doom. It is not. It is a one trick pony where is the Doom is the cream of the crop swiss army knife...

Afflictor's "trick" is deleting any ship in 1-2 attack passes (can be 3 with sub-optimal attack passes), while being pretty much unstoppable no matter what enemy fleet tries to do. That's good enough to solo any fleet with, given enough player-piloted Afflictors (2-3 for single endgame enemy fleet).

Doom does what the afflictor does but way better, it also does every other ship better.

RemnantAI

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: 1337 Starsector Ship Rankings [SHIP TIER LIST GONE WRONG]
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 02:03:16 PM »

You are lowballing the Odyssey with
2 Lineholder
3 Strike
3 Sustain
The shields are efficient, it's point defense game is insane, and it's layout means it can hold hold center with a low profile or take advantage of broadsides on the flank.
The Bonk let's you ram Cruisers and smaller ships with impunity, and use your shield like a sword to clip and spin out enemies. You can also sandwich enemy ships between each other.
3,4,4 if you are utilizing it's strengths, which you should be.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2021, 02:10:40 PM »

Odyssey's shields aren't really efficient and neither is its flux capacity big. Strike capacity is alright, but it isn't something that Onslaught (4 medium missiles, TPCs), Legion (5 medium missiles, 4 fighter wings) or Conquest (2 larges, 2 mediums... Though, I wonder if Conq shouldn't get downgraded). Its sustained damage might be fine, but it would have to be as good as Legion's ballistic larges and 4 fighter wings or Paragon's 4 large energies and 2 medium universals, and it just isn't.

Hellya

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2021, 02:12:45 PM »

Atlas mkII has three 1s?   >:(NOW LISTEN HERE YOU LITTLE--

Support 1?  HAH!  Have you ever SEEN an atlas mkII with two locusts and two gauss cannons?  What more support do you WANT, man?  And lineholding?  Go ahead: walk up and butt heads with an Atlas mkII with two mjolnirs, two hurricanes and an ammo feeder ready.  Lemme know how that shakes out.

Harasser 1?

I'm...going to allow that.  It's not exactly a phase skimmer. :P

Seriously, though, am I the only one with any love for the atlas mkII?  All that logistics space, all those weapons, cheapest capital in the game and still hangs with the big boys.  ATLAS2 4LIFE.

The MK 2 just lacks PD. Other than that it is a decent early game capital. I don't see it lasting long against these monster fleets.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2021, 02:13:10 PM »

Odyssey is garbage, more buffs please. Don't listen to anyone saying it's good, just buff.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2021, 02:25:32 PM »

* cough * same with the onslaught, those free op and flux just weren't enough, buffs plz
<.<
>.>

[edit] Less memey, could I ask for a definition of "support"? I've been looking at the columns and I just can't tell what its supposed to mean. In particular, why does a Paragon have a 5 in support when it has no mobility, missiles, active helper system, or fighters? Is it the "zone" around it because of its large range?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 02:34:35 PM by Thaago »

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2021, 02:31:36 PM »

I think odyssey should be at least one of 4 sustained or 4 strike. It has a large missile and 3 medium missiles, and IMO it has nearly the sustained damage of paragon as it can support 2 plasma canons at full ROF, which is maybe 10% less than what paragon can support (based on dissipation). I probably wouldn't give it 4 in support to be fair though.

Also, atlas mk2 is super slow and squishy, and lacks the flux stats to back up it's weapon compliment. It definitely doesn't hang with other capitals, and I feel comfortable fighting them in cruisers.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2021, 02:34:20 PM »

Don't listen to anyone saying it's good, just buff.
+1
very bad ship indeed
Spoiler
[close]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4