Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Docking Fighters  (Read 1136 times)

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
Docking Fighters
« on: April 13, 2021, 01:10:48 PM »

Good day/night everyone! I hope you are doing well.

After searching around in the forum for a while, I couldn't find any thread regarding this subject so I thought of asking.

As we know, replacement rate is one of the most important factors of carrier efficacy, and having it drop significantly can sometimes annul the usefulness of a fighter wing entirely until it replenishes. While this can be remedied by keeping a carrier away from action until it recovers, with converted hangars or in the case of the few gunships with inbuilt wings, doing this would be even more counter productive. This causes wings to become a limited resource that quickly becomes inadequate the moment fighters start being picked one by one, incapable of reaching a critical mass needed to overcome enemy PD.

As a solution I wanted to know if having a third command for carrier wings would be possible, and whether it has been previously discussed or not. The idea would be "Engage, Regroup and Dock". Docking command would be used when levels of replacement have diminished as a way of helping it recover faster, and making sure that fighters are fielded again only once their number is satisfactory. While in effect, fighters would return to their carrier, hiding safely within until released.

As a bonus, having the ability to give this command to an entire fleet could be a way to keep smaller numbers of fighter wings competitive against significant enemy presence, further adding a layer of strategy to carrier command.

This is the first time I post here so please let me know if there are issues with the format or thread location.
I'm not a native English speaker so corrections to any confusing part of the text are also welcome.

Burn bright!

Edit: Does anyone know how to move this thread to Suggestions, sure enough I messed up the location as expected  ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 06:47:22 PM by Ad Astra »
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

Radicaljack

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Docking Fighters
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 04:18:11 PM »

Would love this, makes no sense to have bombers lingering outside the ship, and when the fighters are in danger of being wiped before you can use them it's silly to have them out too. A delay to engage orders after undocking mid battle would be a nice downside, currently dooms just slaughter regrouping fighters and though i usually regroup interceptors by default, sometimes I'd rather just keep them inside.

Great first post idea, you're English is fantastic btw.

Ad Astra

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 04:42:26 PM »

Many thanks! Yeah that sounds like a very good way to avoid exploity strategies, it feels immersive also, like ships taking some time to coordinate their maneuvers.
The amount of time it takes would also fit into carrier skills very well.
Now that I see better, at first I wanted to ask if it had been discussed before but afterwards the post ended up being a suggestion, is there a way to move this or should I delete it and post it in the suggestions board?

Flunky

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 06:42:05 PM »

Something like this would also help with having a way to get fighters to repair. Unless I'm mistaken, it seems that they'll only dock for re-arm and not if they're fine on ammo but have 5% hull.

(Regardless, this should probably go in Suggestions instead of general discussion)

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 06:42:37 PM »

Would it repair them too? (That would be nice!)

Ad Astra

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 06:45:55 PM »

Mechanically I think it would work as despawning and respawning new fighters so it would fix them in theory, btw does anyone know how to move this thread? I'll add an edit in the post asking too.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 11:30:54 AM »

[Note: Moved at Ad Astra's request.]

I like this idea. IIRC this is how the drone system works, though no vanilla ship uses that anymore.

Ad Astra

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 11:49:32 AM »

Thanks again!

Yeah I thought it could be a relatively low dev time implementation that could provide interesting gameplay effects, the key binding would solve itself just by using the same button again. A clearer sound cue might be needed between each state though.